Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2023, 10:41 AM   #4321
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

When the iPod mini came out I thought it was the awesomest thing ever, and rode for a few weeks with earbuds, before realizing how dangerous it was. I'd never do it now.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 10:45 AM   #4322
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

It's legal but I don't do it.

For the same reasons as you. I like to be fully aware of my surroundings. Hearing cars approaching. Other cyclists ringing bells or talking to me.

I hate when I ring my bell or yell to a runner/pedestrian/cyclist that I'm approaching and they don't hear me and don't move from the middle of a path. Then get scared as I pass.

To be honest, I really enjoy not having music or a podcast/audio book and just being in my own thoughts. Even on 3-4 hour solo rides.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2023, 10:49 AM   #4323
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've been buying earbuds for years and immediately cut off one side, pretty much listen to podcasts every waking minute of the day and always in 1 ear. Never too loud and you just have to be aware what direction you're hearing road noise from.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 10:56 AM   #4324
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like transparency mode on Airpods is pretty awesome for allowing in outside noise, but even then, cycling is clearly something that requires all your attention. Earbuds that have noise reduction built in are a bad idea obviously.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 04-26-2023 at 10:58 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 11:54 AM   #4325
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I wear a bud in my right ear usually. I’ve considered wearing 2 more often for safety (weird, right?). Firstly, I like to protect my hearing, and wind noise is the biggest issue. And the wind noise is what usually keeps me from hearing traffic, so having nothing in my ears doesn’t help me hear a car coming up behind, unless they’re running some lame loud exhaust, but even then doesn’t give me much warning.

So I run a small rear view mirror and a varia radar to stay aware of traffic, and the varia chirps come through the earbud to alert me of the traffic, and I can watch them in the mirror.

Might be different if I was riding pathways, but on the roads I ride it works well.

And again, no earbuds just means it’s usually wind (and sometimes road noise) that are preventing me from hearing cars, whether I have an earbud in or not.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 12:06 PM   #4326
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone use Zwift Hub Trainer?

I've been thinking about getting into the world of indoor trainers lately and this budget-smart model piqued my interest. I know they dont ship to Canada but I can pick it up at the border.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 12:23 PM   #4327
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have a Zwift Hub Trainer, so can't comment on that one. I do have a Wahoo Kickr Snap smart trainer, which is a wheel-on trainer that is likely in the same price range. I use it with Zwift, and I love it.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2023, 12:25 PM   #4328
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I wear earbuds and listen to music at a normal level, try to stay to the right as much as possible. Try to stay to the less busy side of the river down south in the afternoons helps, that being said I passed a guy yesterday after ringing my bell twice and he seemed startled as he was riding more to the left than he should have been. He probably should take his earbuds out.
Old 04-26-2023, 02:31 PM   #4329
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
So I run a small rear view mirror
I've been meaning to ask, anyone have a recommendation for a quality small mirror? Are the helmet mounted ones any good? Anything decent that mounts on the handlebars that won't get smashed off easily?
Old 04-26-2023, 02:38 PM   #4330
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
I've been meaning to ask, anyone have a recommendation for a quality small mirror? Are the helmet mounted ones any good? Anything decent that mounts on the handlebars that won't get smashed off easily?

Straight bars or drop? For drop bars I use the ones that go in the end, like this:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6017-1...oad-mirror-set

I will say I have lost one when I put my bike down on the Minnewanka loop(if anyone finds one!)
Old 04-26-2023, 02:58 PM   #4331
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Does anyone have line of site into a cheaper road bike that might be for sale which I can make into my "indoor trainer" only bike? I'm about 5'10" and it doesn't need to be anything amazing. Wahoo kickr snap trainer if that matters.

Thanks
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 03:34 PM   #4332
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, the sprintech that Fuzz mentioned is what I use. I had another brand at first and though it looked very similar, the quality of the mirror sucked. The sprintech is much better quality. It still will take a little time to get used to, but once you do, it works well

I think I tried the helmet mounted kind at some point, but didn’t like it. Certainly didn’t work for the kind of riding I do.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 04:01 PM   #4333
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, my previous brand that I lost wasn't nearly as nice as the Sprintech.
Old 04-26-2023, 04:28 PM   #4334
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Not necessarily a noob thing, but the dorks that ride around with no hands on their bars, presumably because it makes them feel like a pro, annoy the hell out of me.
My bike has level 7 self driving and it only cost me an extra $3K. You're just envious.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2023, 04:29 PM   #4335
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Aftershokz bone conduction works well for riding mtb but I rarely use them even when on gravel or road as I prefer to be more aware and device free/unplugged. Like others have said, when on the path or going past someone who can’t hear your bell or voice then freaks out isn’t pleasant. I’ve been heinously yelled and cursed at for not ringing when in fact they didn’t hear my multiple rings over their headphones.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 08:50 PM   #4336
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Anybody know if quarry trail is clear or not? I haven’t been back there yet this year

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 09:19 PM   #4337
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Straight bars or drop? For drop bars I use the ones that go in the end, like this: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6017-1...oad-mirror-set
Straight, looking for something of decent quality, I only have a few kms on my commute with traffic buzzing by. Would be nice to keep an eye out.

Are the small helmet mounted mirrors at all effective?
Old 04-26-2023, 09:25 PM   #4338
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Straight, looking for something of decent quality, I only have a few kms on my commute with traffic buzzing by. Would be nice to keep an eye out.

Are the small helmet mounted mirrors at all effective?
Ah, I use this on my commuter. Lasted at least a decade, through winter riding too. It's versatile for setting angles and holds them. I've dropped it several times and it hasn't broken.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/1899-7...andlebar-mount
Old 04-28-2023, 12:28 PM   #4339
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

If you're new to racing or group rides this 35 year old video is surprisingly relevant and informative still.

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 02:11 PM   #4340
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Anyone in the loop on the new pedestrian/cycling bridge as part of the south bow river bridge project? I was really hoping they'd get it open for this summer but haven't heard anything on this project lately.
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote