Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2022, 12:40 PM   #4321
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn't Khan rumoured to be the guy who pushed Triple H out in the first place? I have a hard time seeing them bringing him back if Vince is gone.

I think the big problem for WWE is that the networks largely like the product the way it is. Unless they really think they have room to grow with the 18-49 demo, they're probably not going to mess with the formula too much.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 02:12 PM   #4322
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Khan and bucktooth mcgee, Kevin Dunn and Pritchard all worked to push HHH out.

The problem is even though we consider Raw and Smackdown ratings to be low, because like you guys, I went through the monday night wars with the huge ratings, Smackdown is still gaining a fairly consistent 1.6 to 1.9 million viewers, while Rampage is sitting at half a million.

Raw I think is 1.6 to 1.9 million viewers. AEW Dynamite is in that sub 1 million and isn't really closing that gap. So even though Raw to me is booked badly and boring as dirt, there's no motivation to change.

Neither fed at this point is in anything but what I would call stagnation. They've captured their audiences. Neither is growing or decling rapidly, so the formula doesn't change.

We can argue about house shows, but in this day and age, house shows don't matter, and the WWE makes money hand over fist with their TV deals, and their streaming network deal.

The only way that serious change will happen for WWE is if the ratings plummet and the "war" with AEW gets a lot closer.

For both Federations there's nothing new happening. There's some individual players that stick out, but for the most part the stories and booking are just a case of whatever, same old same old.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 11:15 PM   #4323
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Roman is out? Is he injured? Becoming a PT wrestler?

Isn't he supposed to be on Smackdown tomorrow to face Riddell?
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 11:23 PM   #4324
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
Roman is out? Is he injured? Becoming a PT wrestler?

Isn't he supposed to be on Smackdown tomorrow to face Riddell?
He's reducing his schedule. He won't be doing as many house shows and he'll do a set number of PPVs. He'll still be on SmackDown most weeks though.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 11:30 PM   #4325
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be honest, I'm genuinely surprised that Vince has continued to run the WWE for so long after taking the company public.

With all the ridiculous, off color, and sometimes distasteful (even in a non sensitive PC era) storylines the WWF used to run in the Attitude Era, all the drug abuse/misogynistic culture of wrestling still prevsding, the Patterson ring boy stuff through the 80s and 90s and 2000s (and that's the stuff we are aware of), the fact that Vince could seperate himself from that culture that he grew the business with and probably enjoyed in some regard, and run a straight and narrow public company, is pretty remarkable.

Sure he has lots of handlers, including his family, and the financial losses from stock sinking would be crippling if he had sponsors or networks pull out of their deals, but still, I figured it would be hard for him to change his spots.

I am sure this isn't the first woman he's paid off over the decades, for him or wrestlers, but under the public company spotlight, that cant be swept under the rug anymore to be redirecting profits to out of court settlements for affairs or abuse.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:25 AM   #4326
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

It sounds like Stephanie is taking over for Vince until the investigation is over.
Old 06-17-2022, 09:11 AM   #4327
sfpipes
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
It sounds like Stephanie is taking over for Vince until the investigation is over.

You are correct. Interim Chairwoman and CEO through the current investigation. Sadly, Vince remains in charge of creative and will be appearing tonight on Smackdown "in character" to address his absence.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1537764043473268739
sfpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 09:44 AM   #4328
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Old 06-17-2022, 09:57 AM   #4329
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guys like Vince McMahon shouldn't be running public companies. I'm sure the allure of all the money he made taking WWE public was appealing but I'm surprised he has been able to last this long. If I was a Director of that company I'd be asking for quadruple the normal Director's and Officer's insurance.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 12:07 PM   #4330
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand why Vince is still involved at his age.

I mean, I do... it is a passion and he's been in control for decades and can't relinquish control but.... just retire. You don't need to make any more money. What else do you need to prove? Should have stepped back and retired over a decade ago.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2022, 07:10 PM   #4331
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dave Hebner passed away a couple of days ago and now Tim White passed away.

I remember meeting him in Toronto when I went to SummerSlam a few years ago when I was in line to meet Baron Corbin. He looked familiar but I wasn't expecting someone known within the company to be helping out with meet and greets so it didn't even dawn on me who it was until after.

I guess that would explain why he felt the need to shake my hand when I walked up and he took my belongings and put them on a table for after I took my picture with Corbin.
Old 06-20-2022, 09:53 AM   #4332
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I really hope MJF comes back. He reminds me of Shawn Michaels 1997-98. Such a great heel.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:50 PM   #4333
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Sounds like Forbidden Door has been pretty good so far. Can't wait to get home to watch it. BCC's new member was who I expect and the fans loved it.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 09:49 PM   #4334
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Catching up on Forbidden Door now…they should have just made Sting the interim champ. Guy looks like he’s having a blast and has been a lot of fun in AEW.

Orange Cassidy vs Will Osprey was match of the night for me.

Actually was a little disappointed in the IWGP title match…and then the ending was botched too

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 06-26-2022 at 11:22 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:15 AM   #4335
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Catching up on Forbidden Door now…they should have just made Sting the interim champ. Guy looks like he’s having a blast and has been a lot of fun in AEW.

Orange Cassidy vs Will Osprey was match of the night for me.

Actually was a little disappointed in the IWGP title match…and then the ending was botched too
Osprey and Cassidy was match of the night for sure

I think Cole may have taken a bad bump on the head right before that, I'm guessing he was supposed to take the rainmaker, then white comes in and takes out okada and pins cole

The tag match was a bit strange, if the injury was a work then cash really undersold the underdog part of it

Claudio was great, he should be great on wednesday for blood and guts too
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 02:02 PM   #4336
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I'm not in this video, but I'm certainly talked about:

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2022, 09:09 AM   #4337
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm kinda amazed as a former hardcore fan how little I watch wrestling now. I don't think I've watched Raw or Smackdown in about 3 months. NXT since the shift from HHH to the disco ball.

I tried AEW but I can't get into the booking at all.

I'm probably going to cancel out on the network, though I love the vintage stuff.

I've occasionally spun into a PPV but even that's not happening a lot.

I look at the ratings, and I'm not I don't think alone as we're seeing slides on all the major companies.

Is Impact even a thing anymore?

Old 06-29-2022, 09:25 AM   #4338
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The potential is there for AEW to be really good IMO.

But I do think they need to try to keep things a bit more simple.

Their product really shines in 1:1 matches, and in 2 vs 2 tag matches. Focus on storylines and fueds where they give the talented wrestlers the time to tell a story in the ring and through promo. When they do that the product is really good.

Where I think they tend to fall down a little is when the let the product and matches bloat.

Too many triple thread or 4 man matches, too many 3-4 team tag matches, that end up turning into more of a spot filled match with big set pieces that are labeled and take too long to set up.

Part of it is necessary to build some of the factions up and have some of those storylines. But stuff like the three team tag match at forbidden door was unnecessary - FTR and United Empire could have had a great tag match, and really I feel like Roppongi Vice was unnecessarily put in the match.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Orange Cassidey vs Ospreay was the match of the night, it really was the only key match that was 1:1 where they guys were given time to tell a story in the match.

(Omega vs Tanahashi was 1:1 too I guess but really I don't think anybody was super excited for that and the outcome seemed pre-determined).
Old 06-29-2022, 10:07 AM   #4339
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
NXT since the shift from HHH to the disco ball.
Word is that HHH was at the Performance Center last week telling people "I'm back". Nobody knows to what capacity though.
Old 06-29-2022, 10:40 PM   #4340
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Claudio is a star and WWE wasted him.

That is all

Edit: Actually I’ll add AEW needs to chill out with the blading

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 06-29-2022 at 10:53 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post: