Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 10:03 PM   #4301
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I mean will she eventually be considered such? If she wins a few majors she has to be at the top of the list.
You think a couple of slams will mean she surpasses Wayne Gretzky?? She'd have to become Serena-level succesful for that to happen.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 09-05-2019, 10:14 PM   #4302
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be nice if for once when a Canadian makes a Grand Slam final they didn't have to play an all time great. 3 for 3 now...
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2019, 10:15 PM   #4303
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only thing that will hold her back will be injuries which has already derailed her career somewhat. If she can stay healthy and be smart regarding her schedule, she has all the potential and game to be a mutil-slam winner.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:46 PM   #4304
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

When the going got tough Bianca stepped it up a notch while Bencic folded like a cheap tent on a rainy night. For a 19 year old she sure haves nerves of steel and a mental game to match. Wouldn't surprise me if she beats Serena.

The interesting part of the final will be how Bianca handles the pro Serena/USA crowd.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:55 PM   #4305
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
You think a couple of slams will mean she surpasses Wayne Gretzky?? She'd have to become Serena-level succesful for that to happen.
Or Georges St-Pierre. 9 world title defenses, A crazy all time 26-2 win loss record and being one of a handful of guys to win a title in two different weight classes. He’s widely considered one of MMA’s greatest of all time

Serena level success would be a prerequisite to catch up to GSP
Old 09-05-2019, 11:18 PM   #4306
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

amazing win... i thought for sure it was going to a 3rd set.

Bencic folded, but credit to Bianca for not giving up on anything.... the serve return where i didn't think she knew it was returned into the court but recovered quickly to hit that backhand winner was amazing... that lob shot after it looked like Bencic was going to put it away with an easy smash were both amazing highlights of the match for me.

the crowd won't be on her side on Saturday, but hopefully she's able to tune them out and play to her capabilities...

Should be a great final
Old 09-05-2019, 11:26 PM   #4307
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Troutman said “international stage”, on that basis two men standout. Crosby and Donavan Bailey. Crosby”s golden goal was seen by millions of people who had never even seen a hockey game before. He won another gold(also scored in that one)I would also put him on the top 10 players of all time. Bailey needs no explanation.

If Bianca wins on Saturday she could be in the way to topping those guys, if she loses, no. I don’t even remember the name of the guy who lost at the Wimbledon finals a few years. The other one, Bouchard was a one hit wonder.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:47 PM   #4308
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you don't remeber the name of Milos Raonic, this ain't the thread for you...
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2019, 11:48 PM   #4309
spiteface
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Crosby is def not international, sorry to burst your hockey bubble.

Bailey and GSP are regarded internationally, but even then they are not high on the list.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:48 PM   #4310
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Troutman said “international stage”, on that basis two men standout. Crosby and Donavan Bailey. Crosby”s golden goal was seen by millions of people who had never even seen a hockey game before. He won another gold(also scored in that one)I would also put him on the top 10 players of all time. Bailey needs no explanation.

If Bianca wins on Saturday she could be in the way to topping those guys, if she loses, no. I don’t even remember the name of the guy who lost at the Wimbledon finals a few years. The other one, Bouchard was a one hit wonder.
The US Open is as much as an international stage as Mandalay bay or Madison square garden

Lennox Lewis is another Canadian with world heavyweight title accolades along with his Olympic gold medal. Defeated Evander Holyfield and Knocked out Iron Mike. Fought on many world stages

I’m happy to see Bianca win and hope she beats Serena at the finals, but let’s not get too caught up on the hype where it overshadows the accolades of our greatest Canadian athletes
The Following User Says Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 01:19 AM   #4311
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

Had to PVR the match so just caught up, man Bianca’s determination in the 2nd set was crazy impressive. She’s played a lot of tennis the past 3 rounds, hopefully she can get some good recovery in before Saturday.

Fun stat, Serena’s first US open final was before Bianca was born
Old 09-06-2019, 06:55 AM   #4312
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a fantastic decade for Canadian tennis. As a fan that followed the game in the 80's when Canada wasn't a factor in tennis this has been fun. I have a good feeling about Andreescu as it feels like this is more than just a young player on a hot streak as there's more substance to her game compared to Bouchard who IMO was a average talent at best that got hot and then sidetracked with the modelling stuff. She has legit ground strokes on both sides, impressive touch, determination of a winner, and the serve will get better in time. Serena is always a tough draw in this tournament but I don't think Bianca is in over her head here.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 07:52 AM   #4313
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you don't remeber the name of Milos Raonic, this ain't the thread for you...
To be fair there are a lot of new people who will be watching tennis for the first time or the first time in a long time because of what Bianca has done. I'm sure a lot of us didn't even know who Bianca was a year or two ago, even the reporter said so on the court. Let's try be welcoming to members who are venturing into this thread, we are all supporting Bianca, Felix and Shapo.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 08:27 AM   #4314
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, I thought of Wayne of course - not sure as a hockey player he would have the global impression of a world #1 tennis player. Others I thought of - Steve Nash, Ben Johnson, Donovan Bailey, Gilles/Jacques Villeneuve. Wayne was great enough you could argue he transcended the more regional popularity of hockey.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:57 AM   #4315
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hockey isn't popular everywhere, but neither is tennis. I suspect if you had a global poll and asked everyone on Earth if they know who a) Wayne Gretzky and b) Serena Williams is, you'd get similar responses for the two of them... which tells you something, given Wayne retired 20 years ago. If you just meant career accomplishments in sporting events watched globally then that's a different conversation of course.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:03 AM   #4316
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hockey isn't popular everywhere, but neither is tennis.
Tennis is played and watched by way more people worldwide than hockey. In fact, it probably comes in 3rd place behind soccer and basketball. I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but while tennis may not be that popular in North America, it has a huge following in Europe, Asia, South America, and Australia.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:07 AM   #4317
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Hockey isn't popular everywhere, but neither is tennis. I suspect if you had a global poll and asked everyone on Earth if they know who a) Wayne Gretzky and b) Serena Williams is, you'd get similar responses for the two of them... which tells you something, given Wayne retired 20 years ago. If you just meant career accomplishments in sporting events watched globally then that's a different conversation of course.
there's probably no good way to measure this (compare twitter follower size? 10.9M vs 152K), but I severely doubt Wayne's name brand recognition is anywhere near Serena's globally. for us it just feels like Wayne is ubiquitous because of our lifelong Canadian exposure to him.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:34 AM   #4318
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
To be fair there are a lot of new people who will be watching tennis for the first time or the first time in a long time because of what Bianca has done. I'm sure a lot of us didn't even know who Bianca was a year or two ago, even the reporter said so on the court. Let's try be welcoming to members who are venturing into this thread, we are all supporting Bianca, Felix and Shapo.
As I said earlier in this thread, it's a very exciting time to be a tennis fan in Canada with these three young stars on the rise. Another potential star in the making with Leylah Annie Fernandez on the women's side and Brayden Schnur might be a late bloomer at 24, but is playing some great tennis in his own right.
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 09:36 AM   #4319
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
It would be nice if for once when a Canadian makes a Grand Slam final they didn't have to play an all time great. 3 for 3 now...
1 for 3, but who's counting? You could maybe make an argument for Murray, but definitely not for Kvitova.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:59 AM   #4320
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
1 for 3, but who's counting? You could maybe make an argument for Murray, but definitely not for Kvitova.
Someone like a Kevin Anderson or Ostapenko would be nice
Closed Thread