Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2022, 03:11 PM   #4261
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I figured if anyone would know it's the fine folks here.

I have an ok amount of Aeroplan points. I'm in desperate need of a vacation and I'm not overly fussy as to where I go with them but would like to know options.

Other than trial and error (is Las Vegas good on these dates?) is there a website that would let me search points redemption for a calendar similar to ITA Matrix? Or give me lowest fairs for a time period similar to Google Flights?
The Points Guy App has an Award Explorer feature (it's in the early stages so a bit beta still) but all you'd have to do is choose a route and select Aeroplan as your option for a points range.

It's probably a more useful tool if you have points in multiple frequent flier programs and want to determine the best one to take a particular route but it's worth a try for you as well. The app and feature within it are free.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2022, 04:53 AM   #4262
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
The Points Guy App has an Award Explorer feature (it's in the early stages so a bit beta still) but all you'd have to do is choose a route and select Aeroplan as your option for a points range.

It's probably a more useful tool if you have points in multiple frequent flier programs and want to determine the best one to take a particular route but it's worth a try for you as well. The app and feature within it are free.
Thanks, that sounds pretty much like what I'm looking for.

I signed up for the beta version of the android app just now!

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2022, 09:44 AM   #4263
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Travelling to HNL through YVR this afternoon and only have a 1h10m layover. How screwed am I for making that connection?

Last edited by Byrns; 12-24-2022 at 09:47 AM.
Byrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 09:54 AM   #4264
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrns View Post
Travelling to HNL through YVR this afternoon and only have a 1h10m layover. How screwed am I for making that connection?
Where are you clearing customs? If in Vancouver if you have a checked bag that you need to pick up before clearing customs you will not make it. If you have a bag that can be checked all the way your bag won’t make it. If it’s just you and carryon you have a chance if you leave on time.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 10:15 AM   #4265
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Where are you clearing customs? If in Vancouver if you have a checked bag that you need to pick up before clearing customs you will not make it. If you have a bag that can be checked all the way your bag won’t make it. If it’s just you and carryon you have a chance if you leave on time.
I'm guessing customs in Vancouver. I do have a checked bag, but maybe I shouldn't now..

How do I know if my checked bag can be checked all the way?

[EDIT] Nixxed the check bag.

Last edited by Byrns; 12-24-2022 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-24-2022, 08:18 PM   #4266
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did you make it?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2022, 09:16 PM   #4267
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

One note about Billy Bishop vs Pearson in Toronto. Billy Bishop is great because yes, you're very close to downtown Toronto. But Pearson has the Union Pearson Express train that is about 25 minutes from Pearson to Union. Only 1, maybe 2 stops in between. Took it in December but can't remember the other stops between, but it's very quick and definitely faster than an Uber.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 09:34 PM   #4268
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
One note about Billy Bishop vs Pearson in Toronto. Billy Bishop is great because yes, you're very close to downtown Toronto. But Pearson has the Union Pearson Express train that is about 25 minutes from Pearson to Union. Only 1, maybe 2 stops in between. Took it in December but can't remember the other stops between, but it's very quick and definitely faster than an Uber.

UP Express has 2 stops in between Union and Pearson and it is quite quick... also reasonably priced for an "express" train to the airport.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to STeeLy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2022, 12:55 AM   #4269
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Did you make it?
Just got checked into the hotel in Vancouver, flight was canceled to Honolulu (due to crew issue) and nothing available until Jan 29? Ridiculous is putting it mildly.

I hope they create a flight for all the others stuck here before then. Ticket agent was sympathetic and tried to help as much as he could with vouchers and stuff..
Old 12-25-2022, 01:47 AM   #4270
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Confessions of a YYC Travel Junkie

Made the mistake booking with Flair to go visit family in Vancouver. Flight was supposed to leave at 6:10pm, got delayed until 1:25am…and just found out the plane hasn’t left Abbotsford, and no agent has any other information.

UPDATE: at 2am, they announced the flight has been cancelled. Never booking with Flair again

Last edited by ah123; 12-25-2022 at 02:20 AM.
ah123 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ah123 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2022, 08:18 AM   #4271
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrns View Post
Just got checked into the hotel in Vancouver, flight was canceled to Honolulu (due to crew issue) and nothing available until Jan 29? Ridiculous is putting it mildly.

I hope they create a flight for all the others stuck here before then. Ticket agent was sympathetic and tried to help as much as he could with vouchers and stuff..
Which airline?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 08:30 AM   #4272
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

On a WestJet flight yesterday from Calgary to Maui. Dreamliner. After a four hour delay, we get about as far as Kelowna then turn around back to Calgary because of a problem with the weather radar unit. They cancel the flight, along with our return tickets and offer no help whatsoever other then to advise we can claim a refund.

There are no flights to Hawaii now til Friday so of course our holiday is cancelled.

I will never fly WestJet again.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 10:08 AM   #4273
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Last year WestJet were selling flights they knew they couldn’t staff and were constantly pulling bait and switches on people. They were cancelling people’s direct flights and putting them on outrageous milk runs. Wait times to speak to an agent was 8 hours, for several months. They were denying refunds and only issuing travel credits.

I cancelled my WestJet Mastercard when I realized what they were doing.

I switched to an Aeroplan visa credit card and have had great experiences flying with Air Canada.

WestJet has been awful for a while now. For some reason, people think they’re “different”. They aren’t.

Once Onyx private equity firm bought them, they turned into garbage.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2022, 11:05 AM   #4274
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup I’m done with WestJet. Will start supporting the upstarts if AC is not an option.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 01:22 PM   #4275
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Which airline?
Delta ticket on WestJet flight. (on it right now) There are even like 4 empty seats…

No idea delta tickets were available last night for this flight when WestJet had nothing. Guess I lucked out at least with that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Byrns For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2022, 01:44 PM   #4276
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flying during Christmas and American Thanksgiving just seems like a mess every single year. Nothing good ever seems to come from it, just a sinkhole of time, money and hope.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2022, 03:16 PM   #4277
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

This has been the biggest Christmas meltdown for travel I can remember for a while. It's rare for Calgary, Vancouver and Toronto to all be in a fully melted down state the week of Christmas.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 03:56 PM   #4278
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

At this point I figure you only fly south around Christmas. Everyone I hear with issues is east or west.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 03:59 PM   #4279
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

…and Montreal, and half the US. A friend was to come from Montreal Friday and much like the Flair flight above, delayed until it was eventually cancelled. AC have been unreachable for him too.

We’ve flown many years around Xmas and had the odd delay here due to deicing but this year is just wild for everyone. Hope ya’ll get to where you are planning to go.

The Hungarian U18 team is trying to get here for the Mac’s tournament and are stranded in Toronto with no assistance.

I look forward to the Transport Canada inquire. ;-)
Old 12-25-2022, 05:41 PM   #4280
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I cancelled my WestJet Mastercard when I realized what they were doing.

I switched to an Aeroplan visa credit card and have had great experiences flying with Air Canada.

WestJet has been awful for a while now. For some reason, people think they’re “different”. They aren’t.
Man, I wanted more of a travel-based card and was this close to getting that West Jet MasterCard this past summer too. So glad I just did Avion instead, what a mess. Sad, West Jet used to be awesome. Even the 2 cancelled flights I had with them back in 2018 & 2019, they hooked me up to the point I'm glad the cancellations happened. It's like a different company now.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post: