Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2022, 11:20 AM   #4261
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
The movies really could have capitalized a little more on the Donald Blake human side of Thor. I miss that...along with Thor's helmet.

I liked the part of the trailer where he was wearing his original 1960s comic book costume as a teenager.
Honestly I disagree. There are enough Dr. Whatevers human characters that are trying to be the smartest guy in the room. I think it's hard to argue what they've done with Thor overall isn't basically perfect. They gave a God a human arc riddled with loss and self-doubt and recreation. Really excited to see Love and Thunder. Honestly wouldn't mind it being a swan song for Hemsworth as he goes into Odinsleep or something. I'd rather they end things well than stretch things out.
Old 04-19-2022, 11:40 AM   #4262
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I don't really see the difference. A show being animated or live action is still diluting the brand. They are all aimed at different audiences. The live action DC stuff is aimed at young adults and people interested in more drama based fare. No different than specifically aiming animated shows at kids.

Also Marvel has tried their own low-budget TV series, with the Agents of Shield and all its spinoffs. IMO the fact that those TV series are part of the main MCU is a huge negative. I don't want to have to watch that crap to keep up to date with the storylines. On top of that you have to keep coming with constant excuses for why the heavy hitters aren't helping out. We know that Captain Marvel has better things to do than stop Thanos from getting Infinity Stones, but why aren't the heavy hitters stepping in once during all these SHIELD conflicts.

Marvel also had the Inhumans, multiple Netflix shows, etc...They just weren't all that successful.
Regarding Marvel, of the lower-budget, small screen products they have put out (not including any Disney+ productions), you could skip them all and never feel like you missed anything. I've watched Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter. Apart from actually being quality shows on their own merit they aren't incorporated into the MCU in any significant way. It's fun to know more about Peggy Carter and the behind the scenes stuff at SHIELD, but they have zero impact on the cinematic universe they've created.

I've never watched any of the Marvel Netflix fare, but apart from a few callbacks to Daredevil in Spider-man: No Way Home and Hawkeye, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, etc. don't appear to be canon.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 12:03 PM   #4263
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Even if they are canon, they don’t dilute the brand because they’re all b list characters.

DC putting Arrow, Flash and Supes in low budget tv shows make them seem like B list characters.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 01:23 PM   #4264
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Regarding Marvel, of the lower-budget, small screen products they have put out (not including any Disney+ productions), you could skip them all and never feel like you missed anything. I've watched Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter. Apart from actually being quality shows on their own merit they aren't incorporated into the MCU in any significant way. It's fun to know more about Peggy Carter and the behind the scenes stuff at SHIELD, but they have zero impact on the cinematic universe they've created.

I've never watched any of the Marvel Netflix fare, but apart from a few callbacks to Daredevil in Spider-man: No Way Home and Hawkeye, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, etc. don't appear to be canon.
I honestly don't think either DCs strategy, of creating alternate TV universes, or Marvel's strategy, of creating canon TV shows, has that much of an affect on me, as I ignore them all anyways. I don't really see any dilution of the brand.

At the end of the day, everything comes down to whether the content is good. I'll gladly watch multiple versions of the Joker, if they are good. I don't care about. The general public seems to feel the same way. Joker and the Batman both killed it at the box office, despite being totally adult orientated. There's clearly an audience for multiple interpretations of the same character, as long as they are good.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2022, 03:47 PM   #4265
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best thing about the Defenders characters, though the years, is the respect that the A-listers have for them as people. They effectively bring the human side to the Marvel universe in a way even Hawkeye and Black Widow can't.

Granted it was a comic book arc, and I can't even remember the 'event', but this is my shaky memory of it... the only part that I'm sure of is the general gist :

A-listers are flying over New York, during one of those global demon-aliens are melting brains events, and they look down on Hell's Kitchen, where there is obvious activity that needs attention. "Should we go down there?"

"No, whatever is happening, Matt can handle it. Feel sorry for the <demon-alien brain melters>."

Any of the Defenders have an opinion, they are listened to, even though none have world shaking power. Having them around makes the whole MCU more interesting.
Old 04-19-2022, 04:33 PM   #4266
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I honestly don't think either DCs strategy, of creating alternate TV universes, or Marvel's strategy, of creating canon TV shows, has that much of an affect on me, as I ignore them all anyways. I don't really see any dilution of the brand.

At the end of the day, everything comes down to whether the content is good. I'll gladly watch multiple versions of the Joker, if they are good. I don't care about. The general public seems to feel the same way. Joker and the Batman both killed it at the box office, despite being totally adult orientated. There's clearly an audience for multiple interpretations of the same character, as long as they are good.
I'm not debating personal taste or anything. Or whether explaining why Iron Man doesn't save the day on Shield is relevant. But Disney, through limiting the appearances of their prime characters have certainly increased the value of their IP more than WB has. Is that even up for debate? The rights to Marvel's library of characters might be worth 10X to that of DC right and that can entirely be attributed to how these characters have been handled over the last 20 years or so.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 06:05 PM   #4267
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I'm not debating personal taste or anything. Or whether explaining why Iron Man doesn't save the day on Shield is relevant. But Disney, through limiting the appearances of their prime characters have certainly increased the value of their IP more than WB has. Is that even up for debate? The rights to Marvel's library of characters might be worth 10X to that of DC right and that can entirely be attributed to how these characters have been handled over the last 20 years or so.
If Marvel characters are worth more it is 100% because they are the only ones to successfully create a cinematic universe.

What you're stating doesn't even make much sense. We all know that the DCEU struggled. Without the Arrowverse, they would simply not have a very lucrative TV Show. The presence of the Arrowverse didn't make the DCEU worse. People are still going to Batman films, despite Gotham being around.

No one knows what the valuations of these IP rights are, but there's zero chance that the Marvel characters are worth 10x what the DC characters are worth. The Arrowverse is one of the most popular set of shows to stream.

Also, most of the characters actually in the DCEU, don't even have live action TV counterparts. Batman, Aquaman, Wonderwoman, Shazam, and Green Lantern have no live action counterparts, yet some of their movies do poorly and some do well.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 09:59 PM   #4268
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

My biggest issue with how DC handles their characters is the over reliance on Batman. We have so many Bat projects, in a 12 month span we will have three different Batman appearing in a movie and a Batgirl movie. And that's great because Im there for it all, BUT where is Superman?

Superman Returns came out around the same time as Batman Begins and made $391 mill at the box office compared to $373 mill of Begins yet Begins gets a whole trilogy and Superman is shelved for 7 years? Man of Steel comes out does well and the first thing WB does is put Batman in his sequel.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 10:00 PM   #4269
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
My biggest issue with how DC handles their characters is the over reliance on Batman. We have so many Bat projects, in a 12 month span we will have three different Batman appearing in a movie and a Batgirl movie. And that's great because Im there for it all, BUT where is Superman?

Superman Returns came out around the same time as Batman Begins and made $391 mill at the box office compared to $373 mill of Begins yet Begins gets a whole trilogy and Superman is shelved for 7 years? Man of Steel comes out does well and the first thing WB does is put Batman in his sequel.
So what you’re saying is that WB operates the DCU just like DC does their comic books? Batman, more Batman and even more Batman.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2022, 10:04 PM   #4270
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Because Superman is boring as hell.

He can only almost die, be resurrected and save the day so many times before it gets old. Especially in the context of a bunch of other Omnipotent and All-Powerful Superheroes who for some reason cant save the day without him.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2022, 10:26 PM   #4271
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Superman has been written in comics for over 80 years with numerous story lines and villains yet in his movies it seems like he's either fighting Lex Luther or Zod. Give me a movie with him and Brainiac, or Mr.Mxyzptlk or Mongul or Metallo.
Also he can have epic adventures in space, take him out of Metropolis or Smallville once in a while, change it up.
Old 04-19-2022, 10:42 PM   #4272
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or have a movie that is almost exclusively Clark Kent, as an investigative reporter. Where he only uses his powers sparingly, and covertly. He finally breaks at the end, saddened that humanity has failed to right itself and comes on full Superman. After the chaos, he discovers the violence did not solve the problem, only push it underground, and the finale is the Clark Kent persona actually doing a better job at solving the underlying problem than Superman did.
Old 04-20-2022, 12:31 AM   #4273
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't really see the difference. A show being animated or live action is still diluting the brand. They are all aimed at different audiences. The live action DC stuff is aimed at young adults and people interested in more drama based fare. No different than specifically aiming animated shows at kids.

Also Marvel has tried their own low-budget TV series, with the Agents of Shield and all its spinoffs. IMO the fact that those TV series are part of the main MCU is a huge negative. I don't want to have to watch that crap to keep up to date with the storylines. On top of that you have to keep coming with constant excuses for why the heavy hitters aren't helping out. We know that Captain Marvel has better things to do than stop Thanos from getting Infinity Stones, but why aren't the heavy hitters stepping in once during all these SHIELD conflicts.

Marvel also had the Inhumans, multiple Netflix shows, etc...They just weren't all that successful.
Those marvel shows on abc and netflix also werent overseen by Feige and werent considered canon on the MCU movie side

He got full control after those shows had started, and it seems like hes only keeping the things that were done well, so far daredevil and the kingpin

Plus the mcu marvel shows on disney+ are frankly using higher quality actors, on top of bigger budgets than the DC ones. You cant really compare them
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 08:12 AM   #4274
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If Marvel characters are worth more it is 100% because they are the only ones to successfully create a cinematic universe.

What you're stating doesn't even make much sense. We all know that the DCEU struggled. Without the Arrowverse, they would simply not have a very lucrative TV Show. The presence of the Arrowverse didn't make the DCEU worse. People are still going to Batman films, despite Gotham being around.

No one knows what the valuations of these IP rights are, but there's zero chance that the Marvel characters are worth 10x what the DC characters are worth. The Arrowverse is one of the most popular set of shows to stream.

Also, most of the characters actually in the DCEU, don't even have live action TV counterparts. Batman, Aquaman, Wonderwoman, Shazam, and Green Lantern have no live action counterparts, yet some of their movies do poorly and some do well.
Sure some movies do well and some don't. Mercedes could slap their emblem on an entry level car and it would probably sell well also. There is a reason they don't do that.

Are you suggesting Disney would be better served with a low quality Spiderman and Iron Man TV show running every week? People would watch it.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 08:16 AM   #4275
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I loved Agents of Shield, however the show got better as it more seperated from the Marvel movie story lines. In the last season I was expecting the snap to have an effect on the show, but it didn't. I still think they did a brilliant job of mirroring the Captain America fall of shield rise of Hydra storyline in season one.

Agent Carter was just a lot of fun, and really well done, but the shame of it is that they needed that third season that never came.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 11:54 AM   #4276
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Into the Spiderverse 2 delayed until June 2023
Old 04-21-2022, 12:02 PM   #4277
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Into the Spiderverse 2 delayed until June 2023
They already released it though...it had Andrew Garfield in it and everything.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2022, 12:38 PM   #4278
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Spiderverse was fun but I wasn't exactly doing backflips in anticipation of the sequel.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 11:37 AM   #4279
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Was truly looking forward to this
https://bleedingcool.com/tv/bone-net...tion-canceled/
Quote:
The Wrap is reporting a move this week that may have even larger ramifications on the streamer's animation content- a move that's led to the long-awaited animated adaptation of Jeff Smith's graphic novel series Bone to be canceled
Hoping someone else picks it up, it deserves an adaptation
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 11:47 AM   #4280
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Apparently Zach Snyder's Rebel Moon is currently in development. I guess he pitched this to Lucas Film about 10 years ago and it was rejected, so he re worked the names/characters to be an original film.

It will be broken up into two movies and air on Netflix.

I am intrigued, I know Snyder has kind of meandered a bit, but he has also had some pretty amazing movies as well..

Quote:
Rebel Moon was initially intended as Snyder's own pitch for a potential Star Wars film, meant to be a darker take on George Lucas' sci-fi universe. Nearly ten years later, after reaching a deal with Netflix, the film was revamped and now Snyder hopes to Rebel Moon into an expansive franchise similar to his Army of the Dead series.
Quote:
"This is me growing up as an Akira Kurosawa fan, a Star Wars fan," Snyder said in July 2021. "It's my love of sci-fi and a giant adventure. My hope is that this also becomes a massive IP and a universe that can be built out. I've spent the last two or three years building out this universe.
https://www.cbr.com/rebel-moon-zack-...-first-photos/