Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2022, 10:30 AM   #4221
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
It's an AWD Highlander. Maybe I'll try and dig into Toyota's recommendations.
Found on a ToyotaNation thread about the Highlander:

Quote:
The Owner's Manual states on page 540, '"Do not mix tires of different makes, models or tread patterns.
Also, do not mix tires of REMARKABLY different treadwear."
Remarkably different is pretty ill-defined and I don't know if later versions of the HL owner's manual are more specific about it, but if it were me, I would stay within Audi's tolerances for Quattro as a safe bet.

TireRack offers a tire-shaving service if you want to try and match the treadwear on the button. I didn't find a shop in Calgary that does it, myself.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2022, 12:06 PM   #4222
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Two seasons of non-commuter use? I’d doubt that qualifies for even the tightest measure of ‘remarkably’. A couple 32nds and I seriously wouldn’t worry about it.
Old 01-05-2023, 03:49 PM   #4223
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The new Ram EV pickup...concept? I thought they were going to reveal this thing at CES. This just looks like renders. They are way behind. It also looks kinda dumb, and I don't understand that cab. It looks like more interior storage space at the expense of the box? The interior looks pretty dumb for a truck, too. No gauge cluster? I'm not really sure what they are doing here, but the Cybertruck may even outsell this thing.

And are those...suicide doors?

Last edited by Fuzz; 01-05-2023 at 03:52 PM.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 03:55 PM   #4224
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Why is it so hard for automakers to release the same vehicles they're already making just with batteries instead of an ICE? Nobody is asking for these garbage interiors with everything controlled from an ipad
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 03:59 PM   #4225
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reading more this is just design concept ideas. I imagine the real one won't look like much this, because it's dumb. Ford and Chevy managed to make their EV trucks look normal.
Old 01-05-2023, 04:04 PM   #4226
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Call me old fashioned but I'm really not into having a TV on my dashboard. I miss buttons and knobs.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 04:07 PM   #4227
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.theautopian.com/ram-1500-revolution/

More pics here, including the suicide doors open, and, uh, a third row of jump seats. Not having a bench seat in the back seems an odd choice. This thing is full of odd choices.
Old 01-05-2023, 10:28 PM   #4228
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well as you said, it's a concept. The "art of the possible". (I hate that phrase so much.)

I wouldn't be completely surprised if they offered rear buckets/captain's chairs as an option in the uplevel Laramie, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Why is it so hard for automakers to release the same vehicles they're already making just with batteries instead of an ICE? Nobody is asking for these garbage interiors with everything controlled from an ipad
Volvo did a really nice job of this. Thing is, though, their current EVs look like normal vehicles because they are. They're not natively designed to be just EVs, rather gasoline and EV. There are a lot of design trade-offs for vehicles that are meant to house both powertrains.

I guess automakers are saying "if we didn't have to accommodate exhaust systems, air intakes, fuel tanks, prop-shaft tunnels or torque tubes, etc.... without those limiting factors, what would we build?" Admittedly, I don't know what part of that question prompts the answer of fitting so many interior screens that it could go as the inside of a Shark Club for Halloween. But yeah, I'd be quite happy with an EV that otherwise looks the part of a normal ICE instead of something from Cyberpunk 2077.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 11:33 PM   #4229
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
100%. I've bitched about this before too, I just want a regular vehicle that happens to be electric. No interest in some space age crazy looking garbage. So few good looking EV's right now imo
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 06:41 AM   #4230
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think they are coming back around on that. The new Prius looks great. The VW's, Hyundai's, even most of Ford and GM's offerings look normal. There are still lots of odd ones, but starting to be more normal looking ones coming out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2023, 06:54 AM   #4231
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
100%. I've bitched about this before too, I just want a regular vehicle that happens to be electric. No interest in some space age crazy looking garbage. So few good looking EV's right now imo
EV's built off ICE platforms are compromised. The BMW i4 may have been picked as a C&D 10 best for 2023 but it's built off a regular 3 series CLAR platform and is considerably heavier than a Tesla Model 3 coming in at a whopping 4,680 lbs for a mid-size sedan and that weight makes it less efficient as it has considerably less range than a Model 3LR (nearly 800 lbs lighter). The BMW may be the better overall car but it's less efficient because it's build off an ICE platform. One wonders how good of a car the i4 could be if it was built on a skateboard platform.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 07:00 AM   #4232
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve been vehicle shopping both new and used, why are there so many white vehicles out there.

White is the ugliest colour for a vehicle

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2023, 07:22 AM   #4233
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I’ve been vehicle shopping both new and used, why are there so many white vehicles out there.

Blame dealers. They always order a lot of stock in white as it's easiest color to move. While it's boring but it doesn't offend anyone and it's the safest color to keep in dealer inventory.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 09:03 AM   #4234
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

*literally owns two white vehicles*

Hey f--k you, buddy!

I think white vehicles -- especially those with metal flake and pearlcoats -- tend to have a clean, luxurious, and upscale image associated with them.

Admittedly, I bought my car in white because that's what was available. I bought my truck in white... also because that's what was available. If you're really bothered, get the vehicle wrapped in whatever colour you want.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2023, 09:04 AM   #4235
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

White is for rental cars and fleet trucks.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 09:08 AM   #4236
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
White is for rental cars and fleet trucks.
At least where Ford is concerned, apparently fleet is now black. See the CPS fleet.
Old 01-06-2023, 09:10 AM   #4237
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

White is for people who like having a clean car. If I lived in California I would probably spread my wings a little, but in dirty winter climates it's always white if I have the option. I go white, take off any decals (e.g. the cheeseball "SPORT" sticker that came on my F-150), then make sure any accessories (wheels, roof racks/pod, trim, etc.) are black for the storm trooper look.

I at least have my "Buick Beige" (TM either you&me or TorqueDog) car for that little splash of colour in my life.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2023, 09:13 AM   #4238
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Crap, I got sidetracked. I came to this thread to ask if anybody has a recommendation for an OBD2 dongle-type-thing that will bluetooth to shift lights or even just a good app for my phone that would give me shift lights from the phone screen while bluetoothed to the OBD2 port.

Basically, I don't like driving my car with paddles unless I have the music turned down otherwise I can't hear the RPMs. Problem is, I always have the music LoUd, hence why some shift lights would be great.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 09:15 AM   #4239
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You need to go F1 style, where you get a beep sound to shift.
Old 01-06-2023, 09:17 AM   #4240
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Actually I found silver to be the best colour for keeping the car looking clean. White starts to show road dust pretty quickly, especially heaven forbid you TOUCH the car; you get this little trail of black dust you had no idea was there but now you need to go over the entire car with a soft, fluffy dusting cloth to get rid of it all.

And if you use tire shine, it WILL spin off and show up as black streaks/spots if you don't wipe it off and let it set sufficiently. I've had my car professionally detailed, and even then all it took was the drive home to have spots down the side from it.

For your shift light, I'm sure these guys will make one to fit your CLS: https://www.realcarbontastic.com/pro...steering-wheel

Last edited by TorqueDog; 01-06-2023 at 09:19 AM.