Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2021, 10:17 AM   #4201
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’s super disappointing. I guess I hoped it was sooner because things appear further along.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 11:35 AM   #4202
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
SW information session held this week. Final bit from Fish Creek Blvd down to 22X not opening till October. Paving, pathways, painting, noise walls/berms are the bulk of what's left. Westbound 22X over Macleod will be back on their bridge by "end of summer", so perhaps before October 1. 101 St/Highway 8 gongshow is a "we're working with the west ring road contractors, thanks for your patience" and no actual information.

Spoiler!
From this it seems the SB Sarcee Trail to Tsuut'ina Parkway will be closed as they complete construction on the interchange also. Maybe once it's reach full completion that will change the configuration for Glenmore Trail EB back to how it's suppose to be.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 07:38 PM   #4203
stevinder
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Out for a drive last evening:

Old 06-27-2021, 07:58 PM   #4204
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having lived in Calgary most of my life, and living only in the NW and considering Anderson Road the "deep south", watching this felt like footage from the Discovery Rover.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 06-27-2021 at 08:00 PM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2021, 08:00 PM   #4205
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Having lived in Calgary most of mu life, and living only in the NW and considering Anderson Road the "deep south", watching this felt like footage from the Discovery Rover.
It's so weird, hey? As a big wetlands guy I can't even come to terms with the destruction along the west Stoney Trail route, but seeing it completed is other words as an old school Calgarian.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:02 PM   #4206
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Having lived in Calgary most of my life, and living only in the NW and considering Anderson Road the "deep south", watching this felt like footage from the Discovery Rover.
Ha, I grew up in Shawnessy and felt the exact same about the first two portions of the ring road at the time.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2021, 09:08 PM   #4207
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
It's so weird, hey? As a big wetlands guy I can't even come to terms with the destruction along the west Stoney Trail route, but seeing it completed is other words as an old school Calgarian.
Well the wet land is only a wetland because of the destruction caused by building the Glenmore reservoir.

They did a reasonable job on preservation though the course of the project.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 01:21 AM   #4208
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
They did a reasonable job on preservation though the course of the project.
Unless you're the kid whose house got bowled over near the Elbow crossing.

The Richmond Rd/Sarcee bandaid fix by the city seems to actually be working decently till they get bailed out by the west Stoney opening in 2024. They're just waiting to see if also bails them out for Sarcee/Bow Trail, which is going to be a monumentally expensive fix and had the potential to be GE5 levels of disruption had they gone forward and found money for an interchange there before 2024.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 05:33 AM   #4209
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The Richmond Rd/Sarcee bandaid fix by the city seems to actually be working decently till they get bailed out by the west Stoney opening in 2024. They're just waiting to see if also bails them out for Sarcee/Bow Trail, which is going to be a monumentally expensive fix and had the potential to be GE5 levels of disruption had they gone forward and found money for an interchange there before 2024.
I’m not sure I follow, I was replying to Jayswin post about wetlands saying they did a reasonable job preserving them.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:17 AM   #4210
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I’m not sure I follow, I was replying to Jayswin post about wetlands saying they did a reasonable job preserving them.
I know, it was a weak attempt at a joke as that incident was the first thing I thought of when I saw "preservation". It's easy to forget how many wildlife concerns there were in that area and how much it slowed things down. They did well to get over the hurdles mostly without issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 06-28-2021, 04:26 PM   #4211
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Ha, I grew up in Shawnessy and felt the exact same about the first two portions of the ring road at the time.
The first time I crested the hill around Anderson and saw Signal hill blew my mind. When it took me under 10 minutes to get there, mind blown again.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 05:55 PM   #4212
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

That Sarcee portion from Richmond Road to Bow Trail is always problematic. On a weekday afternoons, northbound cars back up from the Bow Trail / Sarcee intersection all the way to the 17th Ave bridge!! What's more puzzling is that there are always back up from up the hill on Bow Trail for the left turn from westbound Bow to northbound Sarcee, usually half way up the hill! Where do these cars come from? Even a residential exit has giant backups, I don't get it!!
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 06:43 PM   #4213
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
That Sarcee portion from Richmond Road to Bow Trail is always problematic. On a weekday afternoons, northbound cars back up from the Bow Trail / Sarcee intersection all the way to the 17th Ave bridge!! What's more puzzling is that there are always back up from up the hill on Bow Trail for the left turn from westbound Bow to northbound Sarcee, usually half way up the hill! Where do these cars come from? Even a residential exit has giant backups, I don't get it!!
SB Sarcee is often backed up for a few km down the hill as well. I have no idea where those people are coming from, there really aren't many employment centres in NW Calgary. Maybe the university or Foothills medical complex i suppose.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:40 PM   #4214
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
The first time I crested the hill around Anderson and saw Signal hill blew my mind. When it took me under 10 minutes to get there, mind blown again.
I know, in my mind that's still a 45 minute drive haha
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:18 AM   #4215
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
That Sarcee portion from Richmond Road to Bow Trail is always problematic.
Yeah the west ring road will present massive relief here as people go west and use the back door to get to either 16 Ave or Glenmore. Waiting until this alternative is in place is the right move by the city, for once.
Old 07-02-2021, 10:41 PM   #4216
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not sure if the flooding was discussed in the Weather thread, but we drove through the flooded area around 10PM, on the Northbound side there was a single worker looking desperately for a drainage hole to clear. Looking on Street View, it doesn't appear that it exists. Would not be surprised to see the road still closed in the morning.

EDIT: Southbound lanes were completely closed, there was a single lane open Northbound with just under a foot of water, cars driving slowly through.

Last edited by Nancy; 07-02-2021 at 11:16 PM.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 02:49 PM   #4217
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Northbound stretch between Anderson and Glenmore was very dangerous to drive yesterday around 6:30 pm. Vehicles in the opposing southbound left lane would throw tons of dirty water onto the windshields of northbound driving vehicles completely blinding drivers for a moment or two. Just before the exit onto Glenmore east, I drove into a huge pool of water; not a paddle – a pool; the water was at least a foot deep. I got through it slowly and it was very uncomfortable, as I didn't know how deep it goes. Smaller cars were just driving off to a shoulder and parking. Very surprised at how poorly drainage runoff has been designed for such an important highway.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2021, 08:34 AM   #4218
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Curious why they’ve ripped out the asphalt on the west bound lanes over Macleod trail. Seemed like that was ready for the final layer last fall, but it’s all dug up again. Something fail inspection? The whole area seems like two steps forward, one step back.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 09:31 AM   #4219
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

They're also ripping out the merge lane from 69th/Discovery Ridge to East bound Stoney.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:50 PM   #4220
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks to me like everything will open on time, mostly just noise walls, painting, landscaping, paving, etc. that's left. We talked about it earlier but my god the Sarcee/Bow intersection is in an absolutely catastrophic state of failure during the PM rush. If there is an intersection in a worse state than this one anywhere else in the city, I'd like to know where. In 5 weeks it will be even worse once the SW is fully open. Even with the west leg open we still might need an interchange there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Northbound stretch between Anderson and Glenmore was very dangerous to drive yesterday around 6:30 pm. Vehicles in the opposing southbound left lane would throw tons of dirty water onto the windshields of northbound driving vehicles completely blinding drivers for a moment or two.
Not sure exactly where this is referring to. Where between Anderson and Glenmore is opposing traffic close enough to do this? I hadn't been down there for a while prior to today.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post: