Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 07:11 PM   #401
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd
Too lazy to look it up, but yes, able to write to it. I think there is an 'extra' package that you can install to read/write NTFS.

it seems to be built in to 32bit ubuntu, because i can read/write on all my partitions (ext3,fat32 and NTFS).
Old 08-08-2006, 05:01 PM   #402
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Recover Deleted E-Mails

Ok, I'm really not an idiot. . . . but. . . .

I use Microsoft Outlook for e-mail, and set up a filter that has always been foolproof in catching only junk messages. Because it has been reliable, I've gotten lazy and have been using Shift+Delete to delete the messages.

Obviously this has now bitten me in the a**, and I think I may have deleted a message that I want back.

Any ideas?

I've tried some freeware programs that haven't done the job, and have read about somehow recovering data from the .pst file itself but haven't been able to figure it out.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:58 PM   #403
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know why in Outlook when I type an email message sometimes it changes the type font on part of my message? I'm in Georgia font and hit Enter and type a new paragraph and all of a sudden it's a different font. It's annoying. Anyone else have this happen? (I can't be the only one.) Is there an EASY remedy? I seem to remember that this has also happened to me in MS Word. Not sure why it happens. Grrr.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:59 PM   #404
Antithesis
Disenfranchised

Exp:

Hello gang,

I have some video files that are currently in a RealMedia format. Here is the information from the properties of the files:

Type of File: RealAudio/RealVideo VBR

I think the file format is "rmvb" ... though am not 100%

I want to convert these files to something I can record on a DVD and watch from my TV rather than my computer. Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:52 AM   #405
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a program that you can use... I believe it is called WINAvi... you can convert RMVB files... to avi or mpeg... then u can burn it onto a DVD...
Old 08-10-2006, 10:28 AM   #406
Antithesis
Disenfranchised

Exp:

Thanks! I'll look into it.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:33 AM   #407
Pagal4321
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright so time for my bi-yearly computer meltdown. Here's the story...

Come home, to find my computer turned off (I leave it on during the day). Turn it on, detects my IDE drives then says Primary Slave HD Failure. So I'm like whatever, Slave HD doesn't have ANY programs installed on it, it's all just data. Windoes should start up and boot normally from the Master HD.

Then I get the Windows screen that says it shut down to protect files do I want to boot in safe mode, safe mode w/ networking, last known good config or start windows normally. I try star with last known good configuration. It gives me the Windows CP loading screen then reboots.

I try to start windows normally, same thing. I try to start in safe mode, reboots on me.

This is enough to make me want to pull out my hair, if I had any.

So can anyone offer me any advice on what to do?

I'm thinking of taking it to Memory Express to check and see if both my HD's are screwed. And if they are to see if there's anyway to recover some data from my HD.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:15 AM   #408
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bit by the "last know good configuration", eh? They really should remove that option, or at least make it less obvious.

There are a few things you can try. First one would be to disconnect the slave and see what happens. Which safe mode were you booting into?

When it is booting, try pressing a key (I think it is ESC) that shows you boot process. Then you can see which driver is causing you to reboot (you are rebooting because there is a recover setting that says for a System Failure do automatically restart).

Also, if you boot of the XP disk you can get into a repair console, and then try and replace the bad file, or search the net (or ask here) for more specific help.

There is also good chance a re-install may be quicker than finding and fixing the problem..
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 08-11-2006, 08:39 PM   #409
Pagal4321
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well when I try booting into ALL 3 Safe Modes(regular, with networking and with command prompt) it restarts after loading the same file. d347bus.sys

Am looking for my XP CD and will try to repair it. I'm just curious if there's anyway to salvage any data on either of those HDs. Just beacause I had many work documents regarding my upcoming job search....ugh, I hate computers.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:45 PM   #410
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am no computer expert but I believe that u can salvage it... I believe it is setting it as a slave drive on another computer... and get the files from there... though comp experts would prolly say its a lil risky and as would I... any other possible way?
Old 08-13-2006, 12:02 AM   #411
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeLy
I am no computer expert but I believe that u can salvage it... I believe it is setting it as a slave drive on another computer... and get the files from there... though comp experts would prolly say its a lil risky and as would I... any other possible way?
Slaving those drives to another drive is a great way to recover the data. You can also re-install Windows, just MAKE SURE YOU DON'T FORMAT.

And regarding d347bus.sys, so you have Daemon Tools installed?

I'm guessing that is going to be a tricky recovery. Slave the drives to rescue your data, or do a rescue install to save your data. But I'm guessing a full re-install will be needed sooner rather than later.
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 08-16-2006, 01:18 AM   #412
Pagal4321
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. I do have Daemon Tools...well I did.

2. When I try to repair with the Windows CD I get a command prompt...exactly what do I do with this command prompt?

3. Why should I NOT format it after I take everything off it (if i can even do that)?
Old 08-16-2006, 08:39 AM   #413
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagal4321
1. I do have Daemon Tools...well I did.

2. When I try to repair with the Windows CD I get a command prompt...exactly what do I do with this command prompt?

3. Why should I NOT format it after I take everything off it (if i can even do that)?
Daemon Tools is the driver file that hosed your system.

Get your datafiles that you need to save off your drive, THEN format. I just warned about formating if you do another install of windows in order to get to your files.

As far as what to do at the command prompt, I have usually done that to replace a bad .dll In your shoes, I'd probably try looking for that bad file and removing it (actually, I'd try moving it someplace else on the drive), then see what happened.

And if you google d347bus.sys boot you can see you aren't the only one this has happenned to, so perhaps read those and see if any of their solutions help you (I looked, but the ones I saw said re-install).

Good luck
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 08-22-2006, 06:28 PM   #414
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

CP computer experts, please help. I'm a computer dummy, I know very little.

Right now I'm having all kinds of problems with spyware and viruses after over three years of being problem free.

Are there any antispyware programs that are actually free? I've had people recommend Spybot and Ad-aware. I tried both, but they can only diagnose what's wrong, in order to 'fix' the problems I have to purchase the full version. I also paid for the full version of 'Brave Sentry' but it appears not to have fixed the problem as I still have messages coming up saying stuff like 'your computer is infected with a virus etc'. When ever I log on to the internet, I get the 'Internet security center' screen with recommendations to purchase more software to combat the problem.

I am VERY frustrated.

Someone please help this computer idiot.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:49 PM   #415
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Krack Korn

Right now I'm having all kinds of problems with spyware and viruses after over three years of being problem free.

Are there any antispyware programs that are actually free? I've had people recommend Spybot and Ad-aware. I tried both, but they can only diagnose what's wrong, in order to 'fix' the problems I have to purchase the full version. I also paid for the full version of 'Brave Sentry' but it appears not to have fixed the problem as I still have messages coming up saying stuff like 'your computer is infected with a virus etc'. When ever I log on to the internet, I get the 'Internet security center' screen with recommendations to purchase more software to combat the problem.

I am VERY frustrated.

I'm no expert but if you are with Shaw they have ShawSecure. It is a pig but it is free and should help you out. This is a complete system with firewall, antivirus, etc.

Last time I looked Adaware and Spybot were completely free and could fix your problems. Are you sure you aren't on some fake lookalike site?
AVG is another good free program if you don't use Shaw.
Tuneup Utilities has a 30 trial program that should help you clean up your computer.
Windows Defender is another free program to check for unwanted software.
FireFox is a better and safer browser than Internet Explorer, use it. Firefox also has it's own popup blocker and other conveniences.
Have you downloaded any program that co-insides with your increase in viruses?

Last edited by Vulcan; 08-22-2006 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:29 AM   #416
arsenal
Director of the HFBI

Exp:

Just an add to this, if you like firefox, you might like flock. It is based on the same code base as firefox, but it is working to be a web 2.0 browser.
It has certain things built into it such as:
RSS Reader
Pop-up Blocker
It also allows you to set up your blog and picture account (flikr, etc) so you can do everything from within the browser. So you drag your pictures into the browser, and they are uploaded automatically.

You can check it out at http://www.flock.com
Old 08-23-2006, 08:51 AM   #417
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Are there any antispyware programs that are actually free? I've had people recommend Spybot and Ad-aware. I tried both, but they can only diagnose what's wrong, in order to 'fix' the problems I have to purchase the full version.
When the hell did they start doing that?

Actually, try Windows Defender. MS bought out an anti-spyware company a couple years ago and this is the result. It is still in beta, so it is still free.

After that I'd probably think about getting more serious with HiJAckThis!, but that requires a bit more care.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 08-23-2006, 11:05 AM   #418
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I am VERY frustrated.

Hey I'm just as much an idiot so take this for what its worth...but are you sure aboutthe spybot/adaware thing? I use them and they have never asked me to pay. You might have hit a wrong button or something? With Adaware, I know that you can update to a pay version. Maybe you did that? Also with them, be careful that you downloaded the free version, not the pay version to begin with.

Spybot I am not too sure about, as I thought it was free to get and they only asked for donations to help out.

You get that 1 page anytime you log onto the internet? Have you even just tried changing your homepage. Usually doesn't work as plain, simple and easy as that, but hey its worth a try.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:34 AM   #419
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Krack Korn View Post

I am VERY frustrated.

You mean like this?

It sounds to me like you are trusting every pop up that tells you you have a virus and downloading and installing stuff. "Brave Sentry" isn't a spyware removal program, it's spyware itself! So it'll never help you, it'll just keep putting on more spyware on to your computer. Never trust a popup.

You can try this:
http://www.pchell.com/support/spyaxe.shtml

Windows Defender is free and works well as has been suggested, I've also had good success with Webroot SpySweeper.

EDIT: And if you purchased that software with your credit card or something, I'd be watching your credit card account closely for a while, I wouldn't trust them with anything like that.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:19 PM   #420
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
You mean like this?

It sounds to me like you are trusting every pop up that tells you you have a virus and downloading and installing stuff. "Brave Sentry" isn't a spyware removal program, it's spyware itself! So it'll never help you, it'll just keep putting on more spyware on to your computer. Never trust a popup.

You can try this:
http://www.pchell.com/support/spyaxe.shtml

Windows Defender is free and works well as has been suggested, I've also had good success with Webroot SpySweeper.

EDIT: And if you purchased that software with your credit card or something, I'd be watching your credit card account closely for a while, I wouldn't trust them with anything like that.
So, you're saying I paid for goddamn spyware?? Well that's just great. Unscrupulous *******s. I'm such a computer ######. I hope they haven't already racked up my credit card, I'm going to cancel it.

Photon, I'm going to download Spybot s&d and Windows defender. Is there anything else I should do?

Thanks for the info, everyone.

Last edited by Mightyfire89; 08-25-2006 at 04:26 PM.
Closed Thread