Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #401
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bump.

I bit the bullet and picked up a wood pellet grill last month and WOW. It almost feels like I am cheating when I cook on it. No more fiddling with wood chips in tin foil or external smokers.. No more flare ups and a complete breeze to work with.

For those of you still on the fence, please do check out some of the wood pellet grills before you buy, I gave my gasser to my brother after I bought it, there is no going back.

There are lots of options around here, but some of the higher end units are hard to find in this city:

Ranked from cheapest to most expensive..
- Traegar
- Green Mountain Grills
- Mak Grills
- Fast Eddy Cookers
.. lots of others too.
TheGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:46 AM   #402
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I just bought a Char-griller Akorn Kamado Kooker from Lowes for $243.60. They were selling for $350 all summer.

Set it up last night and did a quick seasoning run (I'll do another tonight).

But I thought I'd put this out there for anyone looking for a solid slow smoker. Fantastic deal!!!

I've also found a forum that talks about this smoker - http://kamadoguru.com/viewforum.php?f=22

I'm planning on making some ribs for my Dad's birthday tomorrow. If I remember, I'll post some pictures.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #403
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am going to grill (indirect with smoke) some wings this weekend and the recipe calls for whole wings. I am worried it might be hard for people to eat. Does it make a difference if I seperate them?
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #404
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see why it would make a big difference in the way you cook them, unless you wanted them whole for presentation purposes, like in this photo:

Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #405
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I didn't already have plans to work on my garage this weekend I'd probably get the smoker out. The $1M question though, what meat to start the season with? Pork shoulder, brisket, or ease into it with some ribs?
Old 04-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #406
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
If I didn't already have plans to work on my garage this weekend I'd probably get the smoker out. The $1M question though, what meat to start the season with? Pork shoulder, brisket, or ease into it with some ribs?
Brisket and do it overnight. Go hard to start the season out right and the best part is that by cooking it overnight you can still work on the garage!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #407
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Brisket and do it overnight. Go hard to start the season out right and the best part is that by cooking it overnight you can still work on the garage!
That's a good idea. I usually get up at an ungodly hour of the morning to start it, but a good brisket easily needs 12 hours +. Start it at midnight and you're still waiting till after noon to eat it.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #408
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
That's a good idea. I usually get up at an ungodly hour of the morning to start it, but a good brisket easily needs 12 hours +. Start it at midnight and you're still waiting till after noon to eat it.
Last year when I did one I started it about 10-10:30. You can wrap it up and keep it in a cooler if it finishes early as well. I think that one I did at really low heat and it was done by about 1pm the next day. I maybe be biased....but it was delicious as well!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #409
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doing some homemade burgers tonight. 7 oz patties of ground chuck, double smoked bacon, cave aged gruyere, and homemade sourdough buns. Hoping the wind doesn't get too bad later this afternoon.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #410
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I made these bad boys over the weekend - fire made them good:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html
Old 04-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #411
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Made ribs on Sunday. They turned out great.

Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #412
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't want to start a new thread and figured my question could easily go in here. Anyways, just curious for those bbq gurus if there a particular website or book that you consider your grilling bible or source of inspiration. Thought this year I would try out a few rubs/sauces this season. Never tried a brisket and is definitely something I want to try this year.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #413
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

The other day I bbq'd pizza, it was some kind of awesome.....I have now removed all pizza joints from my speed dial list
Old 05-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #414
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Didn't want to start a new thread and figured my question could easily go in here. Anyways, just curious for those bbq gurus if there a particular website or book that you consider your grilling bible or source of inspiration. Thought this year I would try out a few rubs/sauces this season. Never tried a brisket and is definitely something I want to try this year.
Old's Place: Old's Place
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #415
trew
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I like Jamie Purviance's books from Weber. Good step-by-step instructions, and some great recipes. You can find "Real Grilling" at most big box hardware stores, and it's probably his best book. He also has a website: http://www.realgrilling.com/journal_about.html

I also like the http://bbq.about.com website for just general grilling information and reviews.
trew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #416
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Road Grill
Pretty solid book. Haven't made everything in the book, but almost everything I have has been good to great.

Grill Master
Another one I use quite a bit. Is a really nice looking book with large photos of the majority of the food. Wide variety as well. Plus well designed, second page in the book has the index to all the recipes. You shouldn't be able to publish your book if you don't do this.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #417
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

My dad gave me some grilling sirloin steaks, they are about an inch thick, but they each have a string tied around the middle. Never had that before - what does that mean if i throw them on the BBQ tomorrow?
Old 05-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #418
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
My dad gave me some grilling sirloin steaks, they are about an inch thick, but they each have a string tied around the middle. Never had that before - what does that mean if i throw them on the BBQ tomorrow?
Usually string is used to hold together meat that would otherwise fall apart into mulitiple pieces. If the steaks are an inch thick, they could easily separate where the looser fat tissues are.

Edit: What I mean is with a thick piece of meat, the individual pieces of meat, that are joined together by strips of fat, will be so heavy they will rip apart from eachother during regular handing of the steak.

Last edited by blankall; 05-25-2013 at 07:01 PM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #419
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

So I can cut the string before grilling?
Old 05-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #420
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
So I can cut the string before grilling?
cut them after
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber