Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2019, 11:03 AM   #401
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
NRA dropped $55 mil in the last election cycle.

Is that really it? $55 million to keep the US in this fog of lunacy? Surely there are enough sane Americans to counteract that.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2019, 11:34 AM   #402
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

AOC tweeted that the House passed HR8, a BI-PARTISAN background check act five months ago. Unsurprisingly, that reptile, Moscow Mitch has been sitting on it. Can’t imagine why.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:35 AM   #403
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Enact reasonable gun control and the cost of guns that are used in mass shootings increases. To the point the mentally unstable can't afford them.
I’m completely with you on reasonable gun control policies being needed but this is quite the stereotype. Which study suggests that people with mental health issues are poor?
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wwkayaker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2019, 12:41 PM   #404
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
"Shocked" said no one ever...

the NRA and gun supporters will continue to trumpet that guns aren't the issue, and yet the US is the only nation that this happens consistently day over day over day...

the hits just keep on coming...

"you reap what you sow"
fyp
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:44 PM   #405
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Is that really it? $55 million to keep the US in this fog of lunacy? Surely there are enough sane Americans to counteract that.
It's not the money, its their ability to deliver (or more importantly take away) votes, they have a single issue voter base, also they use PAC's that don't count towards the 55 mill, I think they drop around 400 million, but that is still small beer really, its the voting bloc that counts
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 01:13 PM   #406
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
I’m completely with you on reasonable gun control policies being needed but this is quite the stereotype. Which study suggests that people with mental health issues are poor?
Touché, while implied, the rich with mental health issues would have a greater chance of being prevented through registration of guns, and law enforcement monitoring. I did not explicitly state that, so while not my intention I can see how you came to that conclusion.

My apologies.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 03:15 PM   #407
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
If I owned a dog I'd prefer it to play with the stranger in my house than rip him/her apart.

Edit for clarity: and not own a gun at all.

When I was a kid we had a Shar-pei, but it didn't have any wrinkles. it looked like a pitbull, and was the kind of dog that would lick an intruder to death before it barred its teeth. But his bark...man, it would scare the crap out of anyone who walked up the front sidewalk, but as soon as one of his humans let him in, he'd run and get a squeeky toy.

We had an incident unrelated to our dog, but one down the street that got out and attacked my brother and some other people, where a by-law or animal services office came by, and he referred to it as "his bark tool," saying it was of the better ones he'd heard. We never felt safer in that house with that dog around, but I always think of the term bark tool, and think of it as a primo-security system.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2019, 03:36 PM   #408
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Touché, while implied, the rich with mental health issues would have a greater chance of being prevented through registration of guns, and law enforcement monitoring. I did not explicitly state that, so while not my intention I can see how you came to that conclusion.

My apologies.
IMO mental illness isn’t the main issue. It’s people who are completely lucid and know exactly what the effect of their actions will be.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:51 PM   #409
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something that hadn't occurred to me that a buddy of mine mentioned when we were talking about this...Texas is an open carry state. Nothing that shooter did up until the point he started shooting people was illegal or would have raised eyebrows in Texas.

He could have had a cop (or the mythical good guy with a gun, being Texas and all) standing right beside him, and they couldn't have done a thing to him until he started shooting.

Just...boggles my mind.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:16 PM   #410
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Something that hadn't occurred to me that a buddy of mine mentioned when we were talking about this...Texas is an open carry state. Nothing that shooter did up until the point he started shooting people was illegal or would have raised eyebrows in Texas.

He could have had a cop (or the mythical good guy with a gun, being Texas and all) standing right beside him, and they couldn't have done a thing to him until he started shooting.

Just...boggles my mind.
Yep, this is the US now, and states like Texas are even more at risk than most. I think as humans we have this inherent bias that "things can get worse, but there's a limit".

I feel because we're in it, it's hard to see but the US is falling into a violent reality that won't A) end because it's so bad that it has to end B) go so far that something drastic happens to end/curb gun violence.

It will likely just continue on the slow downward spiral and each new "peak" of gun violence and mass shooting will become the new normal. Imagine yourself 15 years ago, hearing about 2 mass shootings in two days with like 30 dead and what you and everyone else's reaction would have been.

Now compare that to the actual reaction of citizens and media today. It's basically "yep, this is what happens in the US". It's insanity and unfortunately we'll just all mostly stand by and watch it continue to go downhill.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:28 PM   #411
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am in Idaho right now. This afternoon, some guy recognized my accent and started a conversation about problems in our respective countries. In a 10 minute conversation, he managed to bring up concealed carry and that he believes he has the right to protect himself. I don’t see many changes coming soon.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:32 PM   #412
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

What a bizarre take

https://twitter.com/user/status/1158074774297468928

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2019, 04:35 PM   #413
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

That is a really bizarre take. I wonder how he would choose to die. I bet it wouldn’t be by a shooter in some random spot.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:37 PM   #414
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh Neil
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:46 PM   #415
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The guys smart, but a total idiot sometimes.
I remember when ever sport event would have a moment of silence or something after something like El Paso or Dayton. Now it's not even discussed. What a miserable state.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:46 PM   #416
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

wow... that can't actually be Tyson tweeting that BS can it? When did he become a shill for the NRA?

I used to have a lot of respect for the guy...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:59 PM   #417
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
In actual fact, probably not.

Nothing to do with sanity sadly, but more to do with the fact that system designed to affect change is so effectively rigged that in order to actually do anything the amount of support required would have to be so overwhelming as to be nearly unanimous.

And thats just never going to happen. So the NRA can continue to sit back and chuckle and light their cigars with novelty pistol-shaped lighters.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2019, 05:00 PM   #418
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
a friend of mine moved the family to Houston due to a job transfer. i am sure it is a big adjustment anyways and i am sure this just adds to their stress. the fact that this happens so much with never any changes and politicians blaming each other instead of doing something is absurd. hope it changes in my lifetime but unlikely.
It was one of the main reasons I moved back a few months ago. F*** that country and their stupid second amendment.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:01 PM   #419
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yeah, Neil's been weird since the rape allegations. I get where he's coming from and is right that you're far more likely to die from any number of things besides mass shootings.

But the timing is inflammatory (something he didn't use to do) and the point is moot, as the US (and the world) is making vehicular travel safer and safer by the minute, while their health care is what is it is.

It's a stupid point to make when people are hurting and there's no other issues in the US that should stop going full steam ahead on gun control.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:02 PM   #420
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

When you're more concerned about being a pedant than being a decent human being.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote