Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 08:12 PM   #401
Lord Carnage
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Because it's the only way a single cent of public money should go to a sports arena?

Sorry - I updated my post, but you answered too fast.

Why THIS district?

The Flames would want to be a part of a district where they can make additional money too. That's not much of an option in this scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2017, 08:13 PM   #402
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Is a charity golf tournament the right venue to drop this news?
The next time the Flames properly gauge the situation on the timing of arena statements will be the first time.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 08:13 PM   #403
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnage View Post
No, it's exactly what the mayor wants.

The public would want AN entertainment district...

Seriously, explain why CSEC would want THIS entertainment district?

Why would CSEC want this entertainment district? Maybe because the city was willing to be a partner in it, because it made sense?
Old 09-12-2017, 08:14 PM   #404
Lord Carnage
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
Or the Flames could just buy a piece of land, appropriately zoned, and build an arena. That would show Nenshi.

Look - we all know that an arena will be a losing venture here...

That's why CSEC will never do it on their own, and while the city will never either.

It needs to be a joint venture to have any hope of everybody prospering.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:15 PM   #405
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Is that what was actually offered?
It would be useful to know what the city has offered and what the Flames are asking.
No clue, but I'd guess it's something along those lines based on the noises you hear about support for arena from Council members and what the Mayor intimated in his video and proposal. Even Druh Farrell, one of the staunchest early skeptics of the justification of any public funding, has moved toward saying an arena has a degree of public benefit (and therefore could justify public contribution) should that benefit be demonstrated and there is a return on investment.

http://www.electdruh.ca/a_new_arena

Like I said, I hope the City releases its idea of a fair deal- and strategically, I think they will.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:16 PM   #406
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I think that's genuinely CSEC's tactic here - get the fans really mad. Crazy as it sounds, they think it's Nenshi who fans will get mad at, and not the Flames ownership. They really are that dumb/desperate.
Sports fans are a little different. They'll be mad at Nenshi. It's just money.

Especially with just what Bunk just said.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:16 PM   #407
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
Ya that would probably be the smart thing to do. How long of a lockout would that lead too though.
It would be hellish to implement, but it would actually fix the core issue.

People always say that hockey players (and other pro athletes) are worth the millions they are paid because that's what the market allows for...but the current market is rigged and subsidized by public taxpayers. The NHL needs to become totally self-sustaining without the handouts. If that means Johnny Hockey plays for 5 million instead of 7, so be it. If it means tickets needs to be 25% more expensive, so be it. If it means fewer cities can support an NHL team, so be it.

But the public being bent over the table just needs to stop.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:18 PM   #408
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why THIS district?

The Flames would want to be a part of a district where they can make additional money too. That's not much of an option in this scenario.

So buy some land, take a huge risk, and develop to their heart's content (like the other real estate developers in this city do). I would sincerely wish them good luck.

I am not naive enough to believe that municipalities in North America are not in a cut throat, often zero sum game competition for development and investment. I also know first hand that municipalities invest in order to attract such development. But it has to always be in the best interests of their constituents.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:18 PM   #409
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulchoice View Post
It will never ever happen and is outlandish. There are over 20 plus other cities in North America the NBA would look at before Calgary. The games they play in Canada are part of the Canada and international series exhibition, which has been held in Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa, Edmonton, London and Winnipeg as well. '

The market tests were not done for any reason other than to see the interest level from a marketing perspective for NBA promotions. Nothing to do with a franchise.
Nah. It's not outlandish. Affluent market with basketball interest. You'll never know the ambitions of a potential owner group any more than I will.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:18 PM   #410
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Why would CSEC want this entertainment district? Maybe because the city was willing to be a partner in it, because it made sense?
The land swap proposed clearly showed a surplus of necessary land that seemed to be for the purpose of the Flames taking on some of that spin off real estate upside. It also helps justify a CRL because they would be building tax producing uses.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:18 PM   #411
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This won't be an election issue but nice try flames. People have real problems to that will define the election in this city
Old 09-12-2017, 08:19 PM   #412
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

An NBA team in Calgary is almost, almost as funny as believing the Flames are moving. Especially when everyone involved has acknowledged and on board with a new arena. It's all about economics right now. If the Flames deal were so great, why won't King tell us what it is?
Old 09-12-2017, 08:19 PM   #413
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is a charity golf tournament the right venue to drop this news?
The Following User Says Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 08:19 PM   #414
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
No clue, but I'd guess it's something along those lines based on the noises you hear about support for arena from Council members and what the Mayor intimated in his video and proposal. Even Druh Farrell, one of the staunchest early skeptics of the justification of any public funding, has moved toward saying an arena has a degree of public benefit (and therefore could justify public contribution) should that benefit be demonstrated and there is a return on investment.

http://www.electdruh.ca/a_new_arena

Like I said, I hope the City releases its idea of a fair deal- and strategically, I think they will.
As part of an entertainment district within the already existing (and successful) rivers district, I think CRL funding for a portion of an arena could make sense.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:19 PM   #415
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

In 2016 the Flames franchise was estimated worth 410 million. Why not have the city pony up and buy the team and keep them in the Saddledome. Probably be cheaper and city would get all profits going forward.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:21 PM   #416
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just tired of the whole song and dance already.

We all know in the end some sort of deal gets reached and there is a new rink. I really don't care about these negotiation tactics, just wish both sides would keep their mouths shut until they reach the deal.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:21 PM   #417
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why THIS district?

Because it's the one the city wants as respresented by its elected council and specifically its mayor.

People may hate Nenshi for any number of reasons, but for better or worse he is representing the citizens in this negotiation and personally I'm personally glad he's fighting for what he believes is best for the city. I don't live there anymore so I'm pretty separated from it. It's just nice to see people not rolling over for sports teams aka Edmonton or every US city (except Seattle apparently).
Old 09-12-2017, 08:21 PM   #418
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, this is not the news I wanted to hear when starting to get excited about training camp. I thought that CalgaryNext was dead and we would be hearing an announcement in a couple months after the election that a compromise had been reached for a Vic Park arena which allowed some public funding but no where near the extent of the Edmonton deal.

This has been a complete PR disaster for the Flames from delaying a proposal while the economy was booming, their pathetic CalgaryNext proposal, and now trying to influence the election. As someone who no longer lives in Calgary and doesn't care how the city spends money I should be on the side of the Flames on this one but have been firmly pushed to the side of Nenshi. Edwards needs to sell his share in the team and King needs to be fired.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:21 PM   #419
Lord Carnage
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post

I'm guessing from CSEC's perspective, they wanted something similar for West village (leave the details out of this discussion).

The thing is, from the Flames perspective, this district is no different from any other. They are doing Nenshi a favor of coming into his project, and probably not getting any additional 'perk' for doing so (I'm guessing they would expect a better deal from the city for doing them the favor of anchoring their area)

Remember, in their original plan, they had the potential for lots of perks (land, etc). That's not here in this proposal.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:22 PM   #420
lvsteven
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Ken King Sound like a Scumbag to anyone else?

To paraphrase him:

"We need to focus on winning, beating the folks up north on the ice... of course they beat us with the arena..."

Hey dickhead... You are YEARS away from either a building you do not want to pay for, or relocation.

We all want to see the team win, and we are becoming a contender.

Inserting digs about arena's where they do not belong doesn't do anything to help anyone focus on the fact you are a hockey team first, and property owner second.
Closed Thread