Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2019, 09:24 PM   #401
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Houston Astros outscored the Buccaneers, Bengals, Bills, Browns, Dolphins, Falcons, Giants, Jets, and Steelers today.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:18 PM   #402
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I'd say the Pats have a good chance to be 40 point favorites over the Dolphins next week.
You almost have to wonder if Brady even plays the entire first half. At his age there's really no point having him out there risking injury or fatigue against an opponent that's not competitive. Would be a great opportunity for Stidham to get a lot of reps against a defense that will probably have already quit by the 2nd quarter.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:36 PM   #403
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking about the Dolphins...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-blowout-loss
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 10:50 PM   #404
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Have to think there are players out there such as these, watching Antonio Brown the last week or two, being a selfish entitled individual and not honouring his contract or respecting his teammates/fans, yet ultimately getting his way...and think it’s worth a shot in trying to do something similar and force a team to allow them to pick their situation.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:55 PM   #405
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a great game for the Titans today. Love to see them put a stop to that Browns hype.

Also officially going to the game against the Chiefs on Nov 10. Can’t wait. First time ever
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hockey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 10:58 PM   #406
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Have to think there are players out there such as these, watching Antonio Brown the last week or two, being a selfish entitled individual and not honouring his contract or respecting his teammates/fans, yet ultimately getting his way...and think it’s worth a shot in trying to do something similar and force a team to allow them to pick their situation.
There are some good points in that article. In the NHL, NBA, and MLB where tanking is now commonplace, the players on tanking teams can at least feel comfortable with guaranteed contracts. A lot of players on the Dolphins are probably thinking being associated with this disaster may cost them future money as there's not going to be a lot of positive tape for anyone on this team.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:43 AM   #407
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Woo boy what a game by the Bills.

Really in the first half it was all Bills but some fluke turnovers kept the Jets in it.

I'm telling all of you, keep an eye on RB rookie Singletary.

70 yds rushing and 28 yds receiving for the kid.

Allen showing some chemistry with the new WRs.

I know it's the Jets but this team will surprise some people this year. Their defence is elite and the offence is going to take a big step forward.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:52 AM   #408
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
This is the NFL. You can't think like that. Your career is extremely short and potential life changing injuries are common.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 08:13 AM   #409
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think NFL guys see how NBA players are able to dictate so much more in terms of the teams they play on, and maybe we're about to see more of a shift in that direction. It obviously means collusion will become the norm, but the Pats will surely have nothing done to them for the AB situation, so there's no reason not to do it if there's no penalty.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:45 AM   #410
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
I know it's the Jets but this team will surprise some people this year. Their defence is elite and the offence is going to take a big step forward.
You neglected to mention special teams...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1170814474971779072
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:56 AM   #411
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
I think NFL guys see how NBA players are able to dictate so much more in terms of the teams they play on, and maybe we're about to see more of a shift in that direction. It obviously means collusion will become the norm, but the Pats will surely have nothing done to them for the AB situation, so there's no reason not to do it if there's no penalty.
I think the Browns had feelers out for AB too?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:16 AM   #412
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watching the Brown lose their first game makes me happy. I don't know what it is about hyping bad teams, but it makes me hate them. Losers should be more humble.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:34 AM   #413
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So who thinks A. Brown actually plays a few games with the Patriots?

I either see the league preventing him or them cutting him before his first game because he is crazy and they don't need him.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:44 AM   #414
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

yikes. Fully expected the L, given that it's the Pats away ... but that was ugly. Bad game plan, bad execution, bad everything. Fichtner and Butler basically copied their plan from the December W and the Pats predictably tore it apart. Hopefully a humbling at the right time.

Also sick off the Steelers getting 50+ sacks every season, burt when it's against the Pats, Brady can stand in the pocket untouched all game behind a makeshift O line that seems to consist of some random people that Belichick found on his way to practice. Man, I can't wait for Brady and Belichick to finally piss off into retirement.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #415
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
So who thinks A. Brown actually plays a few games with the Patriots?

I either see the league preventing him or them cutting him before his first game because he is crazy and they don't need him.
Is he really crazy? Or is he just doing what he thinks is best for him?

NFL players have short career spans, limited contract rights in the CBA, and tend to get used pretty heavily.

By the time you're drafted you're already 21/22 since you've had to play 3-4 years for free in the NCAA. Then if you're a top pick your first contract is pretty much 5 years long for a set value that you didn't get to negotiate and that is determined 100% by where you are picked. Then after that you could be franchised tags for up to 3 seasons.

On top of it all the money is not guaranteed and can be heavily incentive based.

That is the one league where I have no issues with players trying to take a bit more control of their own destiny, because not like anything is promised to them by their organizations.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:57 AM   #416
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Is he really crazy? Or is he just doing what he thinks is best for him?

NFL players have short career spans, limited contract rights in the CBA, and tend to get used pretty heavily.

By the time you're drafted you're already 21/22 since you've had to play 3-4 years for free in the NCAA. Then if you're a top pick your first contract is pretty much 5 years long for a set value that you didn't get to negotiate and that is determined 100% by where you are picked. Then after that you could be franchised tags for up to 3 seasons.

On top of it all the money is not guaranteed and can be heavily incentive based.

That is the one league where I have no issues with players trying to take a bit more control of their own destiny, because not like anything is promised to them by their organizations.
I mean if you fully ignore all the off field interactions...

I don't disagree but he gave up $30 million guaranteed for ... $9 million guaranteed with a 2nd year option that won't be picked up.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:14 AM   #417
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Man, I can't wait for Brady and Belichick to finally piss off into retirement.
It has to happen sometime, but Brady might play until he is 45, and Bill has to coach at least 3 more seasons I think to approach Shula's win totals.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:15 AM   #418
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
It has to happen sometime, but Brady might play until he is 45, and Bill has to coach at least 3 more seasons I think to approach Shula's win totals.
You certainly hope so, lord knows what'll happen when you have to cheer for the Browns full time.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:20 AM   #419
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
You certainly hope so, lord knows what'll happen when you have to cheer for the Browns full time.
True! I thought the Pats would be rebuilding by now, leaving just the Browns to break my heart.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:22 AM   #420
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey you never know, maybe if Brady retires after this year Bill will go for the storybook career end back in Cleveland. We all know one in Cleveland would mean more than seven in New England.