Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2022, 11:50 PM   #401
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Little drummer boy needs to learn a new tune.

You mean Marky’s #1 fan? Perhaps
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:52 PM   #402
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Pedro View Post
Tyler Toffoli has been an absolute disaster this series
He’s not the only one:

Markstrom - overpaid sieve
Jarnkrok - biggest bust of trade deadline acquisition
Hanifin - smoothest and one of the softest skater that usually gets burned
Gudbranson - biggest teddy bear that disappears in the playoffs
Kylington - smallest D wrapping his arms around the largest players and gets thrown around
Andersson - has become confused with Hanifin’s bad zone coverages
Tkachuk - he’s likely hurt again from Dallas series
Gaudreau - when the hitting gets tough, where the hell is he?

- frick, that’s pretty much more than 2/3 of the defesive corps! The 4th line was checking heavily for the 1st game and first half of second game. Then, it’s like the Oilers took over and it’s a total reversal! How do you get small guys like Yamamoto and Archibald outhitting guys like Gudbranson and 2/3 of the defence? Then, they fly around the Flames zone untouched most of the time! You get 4 guys stick-checking McDavid without a body hit on him and they get burned by 3 or 4 Oilers going toward the net. I sure miss the Regehr days when all the Oilers are scared going into the Flames zones. Loved seeing Hemsky and other Oilers getting crunched in the end zones behind Kipper.

It’s true that it’s mostly not the fault of Markstrom but he’s a scapegoat. He only looks great when the team in front of him is great. Just like last season when the Flames were bad, Markstrom isn’t all that good either. Unlike what Kelly Hrudy said, Markstrom is not the Flames man for this series. Need to shake things up early to see if something can be changed to shift the momentum.

I have to say looking back at the trade deadline when Tre got Jarnkrok rather than bolster the D with depth. I thought it was surprising he got a small center instead. I thought, ok, maybe Ruzicka is the depth forward they can plug in if they needed size and scoring on the 3rd line in the playoffs. Nope, Sutter with his stubborn ways with some players. He can keep saying that unfinished business BS. But until then, it’s the same old Flames Playoffs BS we keep seeing! Flame me all you want. You’re seeing the Oilers playing the Flames game while the Flames actually looks like a defenseless Oilers team right now. Worst thing is, we don’t even have a McDavid calibre player!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:52 PM   #403
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
How’s Talbot doing?

But please, keep quoting the GAA for the games we’re all watching. It’s adding a lot more than, you know, what we’re all seeing.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2022, 11:53 PM   #404
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Correct. Except you can change "may" to almost certainly not. The time for learning is over. The time for growing is over. The time for all of that is over, it's not 2015 anymore. This core can't hack it. It really looks like 5 playoff wins in a season may be the ceiling for this group. You can get mad, call me negative, deny it, but it's the reality staring all of us in the face whether you want to see it or not. I wish it wasn't true either, but it is.

At this point, let's just see if they can muster enough heart to stave off elimination on their home ice to the main rival team with our building crawling with oil fans. Even that would be an accomplishment because this 2015-2022 flames group has only ever won ONE elimination game, and that was 10 days ago. And they've never won an elimination game when they're trailing in the series, 0-4. Yet another disappointing data point that something is missing from this group.
Sutter was brought in to finally see if this team as constructed had the cajones to do something in the playoffs, or not. We don't need another year to make that determination.

This is all assuming that there isn't some crazy miracle comeback and everyone on the team figures out something in the next week.

In all probability, the conversation should be around whether or not Tre gets to keep the keys for the rebuild or not. I strongly feel that he should not.
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:53 PM   #405
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I called out Johnny in the PGT and he showed up tonight.

Couple of major gaffes spotted the Oilers goals in the first.

Flames were the better team tonight.

This isn't over.
Oh you poor bastard!! It’s over. I have been watching this team since they moved from Atlanta. Don’t get your hopes up. It is over!!
Old 05-24-2022, 11:54 PM   #406
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any championship caliber team would have gone for the kill immediately after that embarrassment of a Dan Cloutier goal to tie it at 3. That could have completely changed the entire series. Instead it's meaningless.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2022, 11:55 PM   #407
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Coming from playoff Sam Bennett's #1 fan...how did his playoffs go again.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:55 PM   #408
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
How’s Talbot doing?

But please, keep quoting the GAA for the games we’re all watching. It’s adding a lot more than, you know, what we’re all seeing.

I was talking to another guy with whom I’ve had an on and off dialogue all year (not that I wanted it, necessarily)

What’s your contribution now? Pleased to discuss your value add

Edit: Since you asked, Talbot is probably disgruntled with the goalie handling in his city. Go do your homework with that situation

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 05-25-2022 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:56 PM   #409
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

-You don't need to tank to build a good team. St. Louis Blues, LA Kings, Boston Bruins are good recent examples of that. Edmonton is the exact model of how that DOESN'T work.

-A lot of people with a 'woe is me' or 'I'm so used to being disappointed by the Flames' attitude. My keyboard warrior diagnosis is that y'all are being very narcissistic and drowning in self-pity. Watching sports is about bonding with friends and even strangers, in good times and in bad. Try that. Be grateful there is this community of like minded people to share in the sorrow. Enjoy the ride while it lasts.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:56 PM   #410
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
They won a round for the third time since 1989. For the first time in 7 years.
...so? They were a shot away from losing that round to a vastly inferior team. And now we're getting rolled by a slightly better but still inferior team, who is also our chief rival. Just because the bar is low for this franchise doesnt suddenly mean that this has been a good playoffs, it hasn't. 5 playoff wins is not a good run. The playoff performance as a whole has been extremely disappointing after what we saw in the regular season, not sure how anyone could think otherwise.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2022, 11:56 PM   #411
SargentD
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Did Edmonton have a harder time against a depleted Los Angeles team?
SargentD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:58 PM   #412
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Coming from playoff Sam Bennett's #1 fan...how did his playoffs go again.

Lol. And speak of the devil, there he is

Goal post moving

Florida lost, like 15 of 16 teams who make the playoffs

The team I cheer for, the Flames, have done better

Because they scored nine (9) goals in game 1

Thanks, pal
Old 05-25-2022, 12:01 AM   #413
Angelino
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SargentD View Post
Did Edmonton have a harder time against a depleted Los Angeles team?
Yes

Angelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:01 AM   #414
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I am not known to be a positive poster on here..but aren't you the guy who wanted hard earned money from CP members to put some stickers on your vehicle? Feel bad for the people who donated to that.
i don't get this take at all, im somehow not greatful because I posted an emotional response minutes after a devastating loss? i was upset and obviously didn't mean it. I pay it forward all the time, i volunteer my time, i give to needy families and charity. It hurts that you would pass that judgment based off an angry post about hockey. It's only a game.
Flames_Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:02 AM   #415
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
...so? They were a shot away from losing that round to a vastly inferior team. And now we're getting rolled by a slightly better but still inferior team, who is also our chief rival. Just because the bar is low for this franchise doesnt suddenly mean that this has been a good playoffs, it hasn't. 5 playoff wins is not a good run. The playoff performance as a whole has been extremely disappointing after what we saw in the regular season, not sure how anyone could think otherwise.
So? So it’s the best result in 5 years. I can’t see how anyone could think otherwise.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:02 AM   #416
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
-You don't need to tank to build a good team. St. Louis Blues, LA Kings, Boston Bruins are good recent examples of that. Edmonton is the exact model of how that DOESN'T work.

-A lot of people with a 'woe is me' or 'I'm so used to being disappointed by the Flames' attitude. My keyboard warrior diagnosis is that y'all are being very narcissistic and drowning in self-pity. Watching sports is about bonding with friends and even strangers, in good times and in bad. Try that. Be grateful there is this community of like minded people to share in the sorrow. Enjoy the ride while it lasts.
Its ok to want more good than bad though. Not being an apologist, just saying.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:03 AM   #417
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Win or lose I hope Sutter punches Woodcroft in the face during the handshake line.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 12:03 AM   #418
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
i don't get this take at all, im somehow not greatful because I posted an emotional response minutes after a devastating loss? i was upset and obviously didn't mean it. I pay it forward all the time, i volunteer my time, i give to needy families and charity. It hurts that you would pass that judgment based off an angry post about hockey. It's only a game.
If it’s only a game, then grow up with the “Shames” BS. Obviously didn’t mean it? Didn’t seem like it. Still doesn’t.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:04 AM   #419
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coming back from 3-1 has happened 31 times in the nhl over almost 100 years odds are not good at all. Ironically 3 of those 31 teams beat the Oilers 3 times with the Oilers having the lead. I just dont see it . A good season . We all wanted majour changes in the last off season we probably see it now. Hard to offer JG and MT a healthy contract for a second round 1 win playoff exit again . Mayne I'm wrong but the stats are there. Huge off-season changes coming. Potentially a GM switch finally. So close to losing to a barely playoff team then losing to a barely playoff team that just happens to be your biggest rival. O well. #### happens.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 12:07 AM   #420
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

A team has already done it this playoffs (granted the turning point was a huge one) and Sutter has done it before, so it's not completely out of tbe realm of possibility.
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post: