Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2024, 11:21 PM   #4121
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wimps!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 11:44 PM   #4122
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
It’s not just “-25 or so”.

I understand that the temperature is colder than that, but with it being -30+ and Calgary dealing with temps of -25 and colder multiple days and weeks a year, this isn't some absolutely wild temperature for the province or the prairies.

Edmonton is colder, Grand Prairie, Fort Mac, Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg are all colder.

It just seems that things fell apart at YYC and elsewhere by a bigger margin then other times. Just an observation
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 11:48 PM   #4123
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
YYC update. WestJet has pretty much pulled the plug on the whole night, this place looks like a homeless shelter. Pretty much no equipment is working. Please don't yell at us, we're trying.

Y'all prefer this to +30.
Hoping WS18 goes out tonight, my daughter is supposed to be on the return flight tomorrow.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 12:04 AM   #4124
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I understand that the temperature is colder than that, but with it being -30+ and Calgary dealing with temps of -25 and colder multiple days and weeks a year
Air Canada says deice fluid for their Dreamliner needs a buffer of 10 degrees between the outside temperature and the limit of -43. Therefore below -33 they are a no go.

-25 is fine. -36 is not fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Hoping WS18 goes out tonight, my daughter is supposed to be on the return flight tomorrow.
Just pushed back!
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2024, 12:10 AM   #4125
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember one of our engineers coming back from a field assignment in Peace River with frost bites on his face and telling us: “If anyone ever tells you that you can’t really feel the difference between -45 and -30, tell’em to f… off.”
Old 01-13-2024, 12:14 AM   #4126
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Air Canada says deice fluid for their Dreamliner needs a buffer of 10 degrees between the outside temperature and the limit of -43. Therefore below -33 they are a no go.

-25 is fine. -36 is not fine.

Just pushed back!
Thanks Acey!
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 12:30 AM   #4127
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post

Edmonton is colder, Grand Prairie, Fort Mac, Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg are all colder.

It just seems that things fell apart at YYC and elsewhere by a bigger margin then other times. Just an observation
Also to this point, we do 4x Winnipeg's passengers per year, and 2.5x of Edmonton's. So when there's major weather issues we have that many more people angry on social media to complain about it.

It reminds me of the WestJet almost-strike night with the number of people sleeping here. It's quite cold on the arrivals level to sleep though.
Old 01-13-2024, 01:11 AM   #4128
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey Acey!

You seem to be in the know! My wife and inlaws are supposed to fly out of YYC to Heathrow on WestJet WS18 at 9:15pm on Saturday.

The forecast is for a tempature of -31 to -32 at 9pm. What are the odds this flight happens at all, and what are the odds that it happens on time?

How can they check if this flight is happening before heading to the airport?

Thanks!!!!
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 01:56 AM   #4129
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lubicon, tonight's Heathrow broke and went back to the gate. They got more fuel which suggests they still intend to go but from my window I can still see them sitting out there. Fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post
Hey Acey!

You seem to be in the know! My wife and inlaws are supposed to fly out of YYC to Heathrow on WestJet WS18 at 9:15pm on Saturday.

The forecast is for a tempature of -31 to -32 at 9pm. What are the odds this flight happens at all, and what are the odds that it happens on time?

How can they check if this flight is happening before heading to the airport?

Thanks!!!!
There's no real way to know ahead of time unless they've already cancelled. Tomorrow's might depend on if tonight's ever makes it out... just a waiting game now.
Old 01-13-2024, 02:45 AM   #4130
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looked like all hands on deck out there but WS18 to London is cancelled. Dreamliners seem to be having a rough go with the cold. The return flight WS19 will be cancelled. Still not sure on the Saturday outbound, they're going to make a game plan over the next few hours.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2024, 04:29 AM   #4131
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the -30 psychopaths actually enjoy this?

I just about died trying to shovel a bit of snow. Appears we aren't meant to inhale air this cold, especially with any labored breathing.

It's not all bad. The quiet on the roads and outside, as well as the hunkering down in warmth that it's forced every one into. But it's not like this is something that would be tolerable for any length of time, especially if you must travel and do activities outside the home.

In the end, +30 undoubtedly pisses on this.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 06:50 AM   #4132
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weather Network still showing -50 for Edmonton early Sunday which would be the lowest temperature ever recorded there.
Old 01-13-2024, 07:01 AM   #4133
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Weather Network still showing -50 for Edmonton early Sunday which would be the lowest temperature ever recorded there.
FFS…….

We leave at noon today for a rugby tournament in Mulletville.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 07:01 AM   #4134
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's weird, EC has it at -35, which is a big difference. And yes, those are non-windchill forecasts.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 07:06 AM   #4135
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

What a fun way to find out that my furnace doesn't have enough juice to heat my home during a cold snap lol. My house is 3 years old and it can't maintain 20° on main floor (which is about 15° upstairs). Running electric heaters in all the kids rooms and our electric fireplace on the main floor to try and keep it at a reasonable temp.

Also my fiancee has her bachelorette party tonight in Edmonton. Good luck and Godspeed to those girls lol
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2024, 07:08 AM   #4136
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You might want to try getting a cheap fiberglass furnace filter for cold days(and when was the last time you checked it?). I've put one in for this week, just to reduce the load on the furnace. But you might find you can get more heat too.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2024, 07:26 AM   #4137
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That's weird, EC has it at -35, which is a big difference. And yes, those are non-windchill forecasts.
Weather Network might be using Edmonton International which is quite a bit colder, though EC forecasts the lowest low to still be only -46:

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-71_metric_e.html
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2024, 07:27 AM   #4138
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
In the end, +30 undoubtedly pisses on this.
We had this debate last year, I guess I lost. As I recall, the reasoning given for -30 being better were:
- easier to sleep
- cold can be dealt with by way of infinite clothes when the clothes you can take off to deal with +30 are finite
- heatwaves kill people

I feel like if you asked the average person which temperatures of extreme cold and extreme hot they find to be comparably uncomfortable, it would not be 30 vs 30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Yeah, huge difference. Even across Calgary there's been pretty big differences, like yesterday morning in the 7 am hour .it was -41 out at Springbank but only -35 at YYC. Interesting to see where Edmonton ends up tonight.
Old 01-13-2024, 08:39 AM   #4139
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
What a fun way to find out that my furnace doesn't have enough juice to heat my home during a cold snap lol. My house is 3 years old and it can't maintain 20° on main floor (which is about 15° upstairs). Running electric heaters in all the kids rooms and our electric fireplace on the main floor to try and keep it at a reasonable temp.

Also my fiancee has her bachelorette party tonight in Edmonton. Good luck and Godspeed to those girls lol
Not that it'll help you now but are you the original owner and was it build by a builder still in business? If so, I'd be going to back to them and letting them know. That's bs on such a new house.

Edit. Saw electric fireplace
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 08:46 AM   #4140
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post

I would get someone with a FLIR camera to come in and do a survey. Sadly, it's not unheard of for new homes to be missing insulation.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote