Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2019, 09:07 AM   #4101
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's mostly used by O&G exploration companies though, since those companies never make any money in their early years and have no way to use their losses. But it's actually not a direct subsidy to the companies, it's an incentive to invest in them - the people buying the shares are the ones actually getting the subsidies. Lots of doctors and lawyers who want to be able to reduce their taxable incomes.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:21 AM   #4102
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
I’m starting to think we should just make a deal.

Why negotiate with (economic) terrorists?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:52 AM   #4103
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not surprised to see the fear mongering continue. Seems to be the culture the NDP cultivates.

"OMG Excess profits!" "OMG Excess profits!" "OMG Excess profits!" "OMG Excess profits!"

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/op-...-over-a-barrel
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 09:58 AM   #4104
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

All that article tells me is maybe it is time to buy some shares of Parkland Fuel.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 10:00 AM   #4105
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol. His conclusions is a price cap. Again I say, enjoy the gas lines.

Also, this is a hilariously stupid statement from a self-styled economist.

Quote:
But there is something important missing from this conversation: Alberta’s oil industry is already making huge excess profits at the expense of Vancouver drivers.
How much money do you suppose Alberta takes in from gas sold at the pumps in Vancouver every year? It ain't much.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:26 AM   #4106
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Not surprised to see the fear mongering continue. Seems to be the culture the NDP cultivates.

"OMG Excess profits!" "OMG Excess profits!" "OMG Excess profits!" "OMG Excess profits!"

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/op-...-over-a-barrel
We're a couple of generations from the 70s era of broad reaching price controls on items. All I can say is maybe this generation needs a first hand lesson in the laws of supply and demand if one can think that all that's required to remedy BC's situation is to legislate gas prices.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 12:46 PM   #4107
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

BC is flush with natural gas, Horgan should get behind a gas-to-liquids plant. He can gain security of supply and some of the cleanest fuel available.

(Tongue firmly in cheek, it would be breathtakingly expensive. But I would love to work on one.)
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 04:24 PM   #4108
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Former Pembina Institute head quits AER before Kenney could fire him, alleging 'smear campaign'
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...tion-1.5115373

Well, that tenure went exactly as everyone predicted it would.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:37 PM   #4109
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
Former Pembina Institute head quits AER before Kenney could fire him, alleging 'smear campaign'
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...tion-1.5115373

Well, that tenure went exactly as everyone predicted it would.
I was expecting him to stay at this appointed post at least until the new government actually came into power. THEN he'd sue.

Skip step 1, onto step 2?
Old 04-29-2019, 05:06 PM   #4110
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
lol. His conclusions is a price cap. Again I say, enjoy the gas lines.

Also, this is a hilariously stupid statement from a self-styled economist.

How much money do you suppose Alberta takes in from gas sold at the pumps in Vancouver every year? It ain't much.
I think real money is in the snacks and cigarettes sales.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 03:55 PM   #4111
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Trident Exploration Co has tipped over adding 4700 wells to the orphan well fund, nearly doubling the current size. In fact tripling its size from 2yrs ago before the Sequoia bankruptcy. Redwater getting turned over changes the debt waterfall overruling bankruptcy law and putting clean up before creditors. The company's 33 employees and 61 contrctors have been let go.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/05...it-shuts-down/
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rutuu For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2019, 03:58 PM   #4112
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
Trident Exploration Co has tipped over adding 4700 wells to the orphan well fund, nearly doubling the current size. In fact tripling its size from 2yrs ago before the Sequoia bankruptcy. Redwater getting turned over changes the debt waterfall overruling bankruptcy law and putting clean up before creditors. The company's 33 employees and 61 contrctors have been let go.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/05...it-shuts-down/
I'd be shocked if it made it to the OWA, at least in its current form. Sequoia still hasn't made it to the OWA. The AER is still scratching its head on what to do there.

To be clear Trident wasn't put into receivership by their lenders, they just closed the doors and handed all the wells over to the AER.

Last edited by Weitz; 05-01-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:23 PM   #4113
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

To be clear Trident wasn't put into receivership by their lenders, they just closed the doors and handed all the wells over to the AER.
I think it was more that because of Redwater nobody would invest in or lend to a company with a large unfunded liability, so they weren't able to work their way out of it.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:52 PM   #4114
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Trident. Classic capitalism. Socialize the losses.

Why didn’t the Alberta government insist on financial deposits before drilling to cover reclamation costs? Thanks again Ralph for passing along this wonderful financial legacy.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corral For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2019, 09:33 PM   #4115
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is there some sort of criminal responsibility for the owners if it gets found out that the owners were never planning to clean up/abandon their wells and their entire strategy was to extract as much value as possible for themselves then stick the bill to the taxpayers?
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:15 AM   #4116
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
BC is flush with natural gas, Horgan should get behind a gas-to-liquids plant. He can gain security of supply and some of the cleanest fuel available.

(Tongue firmly in cheek, it would be breathtakingly expensive. But I would love to work on one.)
has anyone proved this works yet? I know of two companies that have commissioned small units and both failed to work as delivered. On paper they look great but they can't get them operating as promised
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:19 PM   #4117
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzy View Post
has anyone proved this works yet? I know of two companies that have commissioned small units and both failed to work as delivered. On paper they look great but they can't get them operating as promised
Qatar has one that produces well as far as I know. Sasol/Talisman looked into one for NE BC years ago that didn't go anywhere. But my impression is that far more have been proposed and cancelled than have ever been successfully built.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:33 PM   #4118
ThePrince
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzy View Post
Umm Canada is actually already basically a decade behind the times (not surprising). There are lots of LNG terminals worldwide taking advantage of the arbitrage that exists with respect to natural gas prices in Asia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LNG_terminals
ThePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:16 PM   #4119
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Different things. Gas to liquids is turning natural gas to liquid fuels like gasoline:

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=15071

But ya, we are behind on the LNG terminals too.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:24 AM   #4120
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another week, another misleading CBC headline:

The growing problem of oil and gas companies not paying taxes or landowners

Of course, they are not paying it because they have gone bankrupt.

Last edited by Ashasx; 05-06-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote