Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2024, 02:51 PM   #4101
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Great, so what’s worse today than the 1940’s or the 60’s or 70’s for that matter. And yeah for me, my grandparents were born in the 1910’s and 1920’s, so that is three generations, but thanks for your perspective.
One grandparent of mine born in the teens and the rest in the 20s. My wife's grandpa was born in 1897. He fought in world war one. These guys don't have a clue lol.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2024, 02:54 PM   #4102
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus....how old are you? Did you fight in the Boer War?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 02:56 PM   #4103
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Jesus....how old are you? Did you fight in the Boer War?
47 years young, dude. Wife is, too.

She's from France, though. Everything is fkd up there.
Old 01-12-2024, 02:59 PM   #4104
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
47 years young, dude. Wife is, too.

She's from France, though. Everything is fkd up there.
Yeah, thats what they all say. Both the age...and France. 'Tis a silly place.

I can claim the honour of having taken out a French Soldier! I put that man on his ass! I helped him up though. It was a whole thing.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2024, 03:10 PM   #4105
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Great, so what’s worse today than the 1940’s or the 60’s or 70’s for that matter.
Wage growth is a good one. Just for fun since you seem to think there isn’t a single example of someone being worse off today than at any other point in history I’m happy to read your explanation of how someone earning a minimum wage of $15/hour in 2018 was somehow worse of than someone earning a minimum wage of $15/hour today in spite of higher costs on almost everything.

Quote:
And yeah for me, my grandparents were born in the 1910’s and 1920’s, so that is three generations, but thanks for your perspective.
I think you’re just being intentionally argumentative at this point. Depending on which year you were born in, I’m gonna guess late 70s or early 80s, your grandparents could have been born in the 40s so it’s not unreasonable for someone to not use your definition of generation.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 04:04 PM   #4106
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Great, so what’s worse today than the 1940’s or the 60’s or 70’s for that matter. And yeah for me, my grandparents were born in the 1910’s and 1920’s, so that is three generations, but thanks for your perspective.

Spoiler!

When people say "three generations ago" they mean relative to NOW, not relative to YOU, you goof!
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 04:13 PM   #4107
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wish it was hotter
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 04:32 PM   #4108
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
I wish it was hotter
I dislike 'extremes' of either variety.

Old 01-12-2024, 04:39 PM   #4109
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Spoiler!

When people say "three generations ago" they mean relative to NOW, not relative to YOU, you goof!
Isn't that the same thing, though? Three generations ago my wife's dad's dad was born in the 1800s. My dad's mom was born in 1927. How is that not three generations ago? Or maybe even two generations ago if I don't include myself.
Old 01-12-2024, 04:42 PM   #4110
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate that I'm about to weigh in on this, but isn't the definition of a generation like, 20 years? So 3 generations ago is the 60's
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 04:48 PM   #4111
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I hate that I'm about to weigh in on this, but isn't the definition of a generation like, 20 years? So 3 generations ago is the 60's
If you said 3 generations ago, the vast majority of people are thinking the lives of their great grandparents.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2024, 04:51 PM   #4112
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well now we're just getting into the definition of a generation (which frankly is a much more interesting discussion anyway, IMO) but my understanding is that it's not about lifespans, it's the amount of time until one generation starts raising the next. Googling "How long is a generation" shows responses vary between 15-30 years depending on the country
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 04:57 PM   #4113
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post

That IS part of the problem though.

Some folks are defining a 'generation' as 'one lived life'. So a household containing grandparents, parents and children could be called a '3 generation' household. These days, for clarity, some have started referring to this kind of generation as a 'familial generation'.

Other folks are using social generations, which are roughly 20-30 years and usually refer to common age experiences instead of life length.

They aren't really interchangeable though, for the problem you noted.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 04:57 PM   #4114
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Continued here...
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 09:52 PM   #4115
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

YYC update. WestJet has pretty much pulled the plug on the whole night, this place looks like a homeless shelter. Pretty much no equipment is working. Please don't yell at us, we're trying.

Y'all prefer this to +30.
Acey is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2024, 10:02 PM   #4116
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
YYC update. WestJet has pretty much pulled the plug on the whole night, this place looks like a homeless shelter. Pretty much no equipment is working. Please don't yell at us, we're trying.

Y'all prefer this to +30.

What specifically has happened with Westjet though? News reports and individual inquires with people I know coming and going show Air Canada having more success along with other airlines.

It seems that Westjet has been affected far worse than other airlines and not just within the Calgary area but elsewhere.

Big WJ fan myself and although this cold weather is nasty and colder then normal, -25 or so it not temperatures that WJ and YYC have never seen before.

Stay warm out there!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 10:04 PM   #4117
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
What specifically has happened with Westjet though? News reports and individual inquires with people I know coming and going show Air Canada having more success along with other airlines.

It seems that Westjet has been affected far worse than other airlines and not just within the Calgary area but elsewhere.

Big WJ fan myself and although this cold weather is nasty and colder then normal, -25 or so it not temperatures that WJ and YYC have never seen before.

Stay warm out there!
No union incentive to work the cold weather?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2024, 10:57 PM   #4118
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, it's not union nonsense, it's equipment not working and deice fluid legality, etc.

Air Canada just cancelled the rest for tonight.

They're just as bad, we just have way more WestJet flights than AC by a ratio of maybe 4 to 1.
Acey is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2024, 11:12 PM   #4119
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post

Stay warm out there!

It’s not just “-25 or so”.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2024, 11:16 PM   #4120
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
It’s not just “-25 or so”.
Yup, massive, massive difference to how equipment operates between -25 and -35 and then you have the human element as well.
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote