Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2015, 11:23 AM   #4061
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Xbox One was the best selling console in December. Xbox One games were also best selling for the month.

They will go back to the reduced price for a limited time.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbo.../1100-6424679/
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2015, 03:24 PM   #4062
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's pretty obvious that reduced price = lots of sales so why don't they just make the price change permanent? Only thing I can think of is that they want to make it sound temporary to drum up more business in the slow winter months.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:31 PM   #4063
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also don't think that they really want to sell it that cheap.

More did it out of necessity to try and catch up and create some positive word of mouth.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:46 PM   #4064
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Rumors are a Xbox One with slim,with backwards compatability will be coming out soon I'm guessing May/June.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:00 PM   #4065
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Rumors are a Xbox One with slim,with backwards compatability will be coming out soon I'm guessing May/June.
That would be a huge selling point imo
Old 01-19-2015, 10:08 PM   #4066
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting, where did you see that? I can't seem to find anything about that rumor in the usual places/forums.

I don't know enough about the architecture of the Xbone versus the 360. Would any hardware need to be added or just via emulation perhaps?
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:59 AM   #4067
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The architecture is completely different (RISC vs CISC, PowerPC vs x86-64, etc), emulation would be a pretty good feat. I'd guess hardware but that would increase the cost probably by a lot.

My 360 died and I have unplayed games though so I'd probably be interested.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:08 AM   #4068
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
The architecture is completely different (RISC vs CISC, PowerPC vs x86-64, etc), emulation would be a pretty good feat. I'd guess hardware but that would increase the cost probably by a lot.

My 360 died and I have unplayed games though so I'd probably be interested.
So they're going to include additional hardware in this rumored slim version for release some time in the future? Seems difficult to do without jacking up the price again if you are right.

(In before the 180 Xbone jokes about their price cut starting for a "limited time", ending, and then starting up again a few days again for an "undisclosed limited time")

I still can't find anything about this rumor online either. Anybody have a link with more information? Violator?
Old 01-20-2015, 09:10 AM   #4069
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh son of a b...... I just picked up a Xbox One in December.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:14 AM   #4070
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't believe the rumor but could they cram the xbox 360 hardware into the same box with the Xbox One?
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:32 AM   #4071
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
I don't believe the rumor but could they cram the xbox 360 hardware into the same box with the Xbox One?
I'm sure you could, it's just a matter of money and whether it makes sense from a price standpoint versus the cost it would take to mass produce something like that for the market.

I remember numbers being mentioned back when the PS3 removed the backwards compatibility with their slim. Sure some small segment wanted it (ie. me) that it made no sense to keep the hardware in the system going forward given the additional cost.

Not surprising really with market realities. Why spend the extra money on hardware to let people play games they already own (that you won't get money for in new sales going forward).

Which is why I'd like to read more about this rumor. I'm still surprised that it hasn't shown up on any of the forums and news outlets even as a rumor so far, if it is legit.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:29 PM   #4072
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe this backwards compatibility is what the head of Xbox is implying.

People seem to be guessing that it's a remaster like MCC but maybe he's just trolling everybody with BC.

Speaking of which, is MCC working smoothly for people yet? Been meaning to get back to it once it finally starting working properly.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:55 AM   #4073
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't seen any rumors on it either, and I doubt they go that route. Usually future iterations of systems are made cheaper, not more expensive.

Plus remasters have been some of the biggest selling games of the "next gen". Halo MCC collection has sold over 1.5 million copies, GTV 5 next gen sold over 3 million in the first couple months, etc.

Microsoft will push out a Gears of War Remastered collection and will make some more coin off of it (might wait until the game works before releasing this time though). And then we probably see a Bioshock, Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, and Call of Duty remastered collections eventually as well.

Too much money in remasters right now to introduce backwards compatibility.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:10 AM   #4074
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Get on up, North American PS4 owners – our nightmare is finally over... Plex comes to PS4 today. I know you need a Plex pass ($5/month, $40/year, $150 lifetime), but if you dislike iTunes or you just want to watch your video library on your PS4, I can't recommend it enough.

For those unfamiliar, Plex is a small application that runs on your computer and takes whatever folder(s) you designate and displays the media in a beautiful manner such as this:

My love affair started when I wanted a way to get movies from my iTunes library onto my iPad for my kids when we travel. My issue was once I left the house, I couldn't download anything to it until I returned. I avoided Plex for a long time because I just didn't realize how well it played with iPad. Once I found out it not only had an app, but that the app is better than the stock movie app on the iPad, and that you could just point Plex at your existing iTunes library, and you could download remotely, I became a convert over night.

I prefer it so much over iTunes that I replaced my 2 Apple Tvs with Roku boxes. Now that it's on the PS4, the machine finally becomes an easy way to view movies.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2015, 10:48 AM   #4075
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Speaking of which, is MCC working smoothly for people yet? Been meaning to get back to it once it finally starting working properly.
I seriously don't think MCC is working yet. I think it's been improved a bit, but there seems to be lots of complaints. I almost bought an Xbox One just so I could play Halo 2 again. Real glad I didn't.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2015, 12:00 PM   #4076
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Xbox has their answer to remote play....probably just sold me on a Windows 10 tablet or laptop.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/21/78...ming-microsoft

Edit: Also forgot to mention....BATTLETOADS! Granted it was just a t-shirt, but the dream is alive.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-21-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:40 PM   #4077
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

^I haven't been having any MCC issues lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Xbox has their answer to remote play....probably just sold me on a Windows 10 tablet or laptop.

That whole event was full of awesome. PC and Xbox One multiplayer for games that support it. Bad-ass.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:01 PM   #4078
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

So would this allow you to play Halo on your desktop PC running Windows 10, with full keyboard and mouse control, thus having a clear advantage over console players?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:06 PM   #4079
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
So would this allow you to play Halo on your desktop PC running Windows 10, with full keyboard and mouse control, thus having a clear advantage over console players?
Haha, thought about that and all over it already eh? I'd be curious about the lag for that first though.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:17 AM   #4080
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

While the idea is awesome, my experience with Playstation Now has pretty much killed my excitement for services like this. I realize they're quite different, but you can't eliminate 100% of the lag even if the source is within the house. Hell, some people don't even play with wireless controllers due to perceived lag.

I tried a shooter on Playstation Now and it wasn't even a little possible. Smaller games like Pixeljunk Eden were totally fine, but anything twitchy was a g-damn disaster.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote