Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2022, 01:04 PM   #4061
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys are all nuts.

Had a wonderful hour long ride on Zwift this morning, and stayed warm and dry.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2022, 01:10 PM   #4062
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I'm dreading what that wind has created in drifts for the ride home.
When you ride home, perhaps take a glance at both sides of the road when riding?

This morning on my street, the East side of the road was around 2-3 inches of snow, but the wind made it around 4-14 inches of snow/drifts on the West side of the road.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 01:27 PM   #4063
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
When you ride home, perhaps take a glance at both sides of the road when riding?

This morning on my street, the East side of the road was around 2-3 inches of snow, but the wind made it around 4-14 inches of snow/drifts on the West side of the road.
I'm talking about the pathways, Nose creek was already getting some good drifts this morning from that north wind. Really hoping it got at least one pass by the sweepers.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2022, 01:28 PM   #4064
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
You guys are all nuts.

Had a wonderful hour long ride on Zwift this morning, and stayed warm and dry.
Yeah but that's boring.
Old 11-02-2022, 08:02 PM   #4065
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Studded tires needed on the path between Edworthy and downtown?
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 07:15 AM   #4066
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Studded tires needed on the path between Edworthy and downtown?
Probably depends on how quick the sweepers got to the pathway yesterday. I had sweepers out at 5:30 that had already cleared from Telus Spark to the Bridgeland LRT, on my commute home that section of the path was mainly wet with some little hard ice bumps here and there. Contrast that to the rest of my pathways that were cleared during the day, they were pretty much hard covered with a layer of ice, I couldn't imagine trying to ride that without studs.
Old 11-03-2022, 07:27 AM   #4067
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I would never consider riding in winter conditions without studs. Too many times I had close calls; not worth an injury to save $200 or to save 5-10 minutes on the commute.

And get them on both tires. I tried the front tire only trick for a little while; until I jack knifed my bike one morning.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 07:54 AM   #4068
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It took everything I had to resist putting all my winter clothes on. Glad I left stuff behind, and got it right! Lovely ride in, love how the snow annihilates soundwaves, and all you hear is the crunch of snow.

Drivers could use some more winter training though, still stopping to let me through intersections when they have right of way. Go, you fool!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 08:03 AM   #4069
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It took everything I had to resist putting all my winter clothes on. Glad I left stuff behind, and got it right! Lovely ride in, love how the snow annihilates soundwaves, and all you hear is the crunch of snow.

Drivers could use some more winter training though, still stopping to let me through intersections when they have right of way. Go, you fool!
I almost went for the snowpants instead of just long johns and bike pants. Legs were cool at best, so no problem. -20 tends to be that break point to crack out the warmer gear.
Old 11-03-2022, 01:03 PM   #4070
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Probably depends on how quick the sweepers got to the pathway yesterday. I had sweepers out at 5:30 that had already cleared from Telus Spark to the Bridgeland LRT, on my commute home that section of the path was mainly wet with some little hard ice bumps here and there. Contrast that to the rest of my pathways that were cleared during the day, they were pretty much hard covered with a layer of ice, I couldn't imagine trying to ride that without studs.
Definitely very sketchy riding where I live unless studded fat biking. So I drove halfway and rode from bottom of Home Road. Generally pretty good with a fair bit of hard pack but lots of clear areas. Some ice but either avoidable or short. North side west of Crowchild had lots of drifted snow so a little slower there but no biggy.
Id forgotten how to dress for this cold and ended up with 1 too many layers up top. I’d rather be a little extra warm than cold. Bike room at work is down to me and 1 other.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 07:51 AM   #4071
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well it's winter all right. I was pretty fearful of this morning, given all the melting and ice buildup last week. But there is enough snow to cover most of it, so it was just a little loose here and there.

I was coming down the bluff feeling pretty unsteady, then noticed a clunk in my front wheel. Stopped for a sec, and realized my quick release was totally loose and my wheel was all floppin' around! No idea how that happened.

Also, my toes are cold. Stupid toes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 10:34 AM   #4072
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Well it's winter all right. I was pretty fearful of this morning, given all the melting and ice buildup last week. But there is enough snow to cover most of it, so it was just a little loose here and there.

I was coming down the bluff feeling pretty unsteady, then noticed a clunk in my front wheel. Stopped for a sec, and realized my quick release was totally loose and my wheel was all floppin' around! No idea how that happened.

Also, my toes are cold. Stupid toes.
Whew, glad you caught that quick release before disaster.

I wasn't even first tracks this morning at 0535. Definitely two tracks on the Bow river pathway, crossed a rider going into downtown. Quiet on the Nose creek pathway though. I'm thinking the ride home conditions will be worse.
Old 11-07-2022, 10:40 AM   #4073
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Whew, glad you caught that quick release before disaster.

I wasn't even first tracks this morning at 0535. Definitely two tracks on the Bow river pathway, crossed a rider going into downtown. Quiet on the Nose creek pathway though. I'm thinking the ride home conditions will be worse.
When I was 12 or so we were doing a family and friends camping trip at Watridge lake. On the way back we were hauling ass and my buddy went over a hump. His QR had gotten released at some point(probably pointing forward and hit a branch), so as soon as he went airborn the front tire dropped out, and his forks hit the ground. This resulted in a rapid velocity ######ation for the bike, while he sailed ahead with surplus momentum. Broke his collarbone and had to be heli'd out, as the road was washed out. So I'm usually pretty good with my QR's after that life lesson.
Old 11-07-2022, 10:42 AM   #4074
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Out of depression, I've been avoiding this thread since I was t-boned by an SUV on the bike the first week of Oct. Sadly I'm worried my gravel bike may have some cracks in the carbon, the wheel is all bent, and my ankle is still broken. The cops never found her either so I can't recoup any damages. Any ideas if insurance covers things like this?

Unfortunately that puts my first winter cycling plans out of the picture. To stay in shape, I've exchanged it for a wheelchair so the new plan is that I'll be two-wheeling around the +15s this winter.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 11:00 AM   #4075
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

####... Hack&Lube, that really sucks. Sorry to hear that.

Your home insurance likely covers your bike, but there's no concept of fault in home insurance so you might want to think about whether it's worth the claim after you pay the deductible. Don't forget to factor in the insurance company increasing your rates in subsequent years as well.

Last edited by Flames0910; 11-07-2022 at 11:11 AM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 11:08 AM   #4076
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry man, that's awful. People suck.
Old 11-07-2022, 04:05 PM   #4077
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Depends on the policy specifics of course, but I assume your bike is worth some dollars if it’s Carbon, so might be worth making the claim.

And the whole things sucks, sorry you haven’t been able to go after the driver, especially after they just left the scene.

Hopefully your wheelchair is lightweight carbon, with electronic shifting and high TPI tires.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 04:40 PM   #4078
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Depends on the policy specifics of course, but I assume your bike is worth some dollars if it’s Carbon, so might be worth making the claim.

And the whole things sucks, sorry you haven’t been able to go after the driver, especially after they just left the scene.

Hopefully your wheelchair is lightweight carbon, with electronic shifting and high TPI tires.
Unfortunately Shimano and SRAM do not yet have any options for the handi-capable.

It is a 2nd hand carbon fiber wheelchair with the equivalent of the bike world's solid Tannus tires though.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 04:49 PM   #4079
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Garbage ride home. Streets are full of snirt and very very hard to ride on if you are not rolling fat tires (I'm assuming as I skidded around everywhere on my studded 35mm's). Fox Hollow hill not touched, probably can't ride up it. Nose creek had a clearing pass but was already back up to around 3cm covered and bumpy and slick. Bow river pathway same way. I figure if the paths don't get cleared overnight I might actually take the car in, boo.
Old 11-07-2022, 04:56 PM   #4080
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not too bad a ride home though I did push it up the bluff. Worth it to rip some slalom turns down into Confed though! Need to hit the bigger bit next time. Super fun.

I'm amazed at how a bit of winter is a signal to drivers that red lights are ignorable. Yellow? Ya, better step on it. Red? Don't even think of touching that break! I cross 3 light controlled roads (outside the core) on my way home, and it happened at 2 of them. 4, if I toss in in the core roads. So 4 for 7. Probably a sign we need to loosen driver testing more, since they are so ####ing good at it...