Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 10:00 AM   #4061
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe the UN should send in some poll monitors, you know, the type they use in barely functional democracies in Africa.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:04 AM   #4062
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Maybe the UN should send in some poll monitors, you know, the type they use in barely functional democracies in Africa.
Russia votes:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-r...-idUSKBN2441VC

Quote:
Golos, a non-governmental organisation that monitors elections, said it had recorded numerous irregularities during the vote, including ballot stuffing and widespread cases of employers forcing staff to cast a ballot.

Ella Pamfilova, head of the Central Election Commission, said on Friday the vote was “free, open, democratic to the maximum and fair.

“Its results are legitimate and indisputable.”

Dmitry Peskov, Putin’s spokesman, said the emphatic nature of the result was a measure of how deeply Russians trusted Putin to run the country.
‘It looks like a gameshow’: Russia's pseudo-vote on Putin’s term limits

Get-out-the-vote effort includes prize giveaways while campaign avoids focus on president

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ns-term-limits
Old 09-23-2020, 10:12 AM   #4063
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The thing that amazes me, members from both parties are saying the same thing.

The other side will try and steal the election. People on both sides truly feel, rightly or wrongly, that there is evil on the other side.

We are all biased.

Oh and Fvck Trump. I have never truly hated another human until he became President.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:23 AM   #4064
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poster View Post

The other side will try and steal the election. People on both sides truly feel, rightly or wrongly, that there is evil on the other side.

We are all biased.

Oh and Fvck Trump. I have never truly hated another human until he became President.
Yeah, this is the worst part. There's a fundamental breakdown of trust and dialogue. Even though some people recognize this problem, there appears to be no sizable initiative to address the challenges of mutual understanding, but there are very influential organizations actively opposing mutual understanding and deepening the divides.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
Old 09-23-2020, 10:29 AM   #4065
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:

We are all biased.

Enough with this horse####. There is no evidence that anyone in the democratic party is planning to tamper with the vote. There is hard evidence that Russia already tampered with the 2016 election and is doing so again to benefit the Republicans, and Trump is on record stating that he will not accept the result if he loses and is planning to send voter intimidation squads in blue voting districts. One side is justifiably frightened that this election will be stolen and the US will slide into fascism, the other side is being fed fake news by Trump and Fox

Last edited by Hemi-Cuda; 09-23-2020 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:36 AM   #4066
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

So, he’s getting strategy ideas from house of cards?

Quote:
Then suppose the president declares an emergency. Federal personnel in battle dress, staged nearby in advance, move in to restore law and order and secure the balloting. Amid ongoing clashes, they stay to monitor the canvass. They close the streets that lead to the polls. They take custody of uncounted ballots in order to preserve evidence of fraud.

“The president can’t cancel the election, but what if he says, ‘We’re in an emergency, and we’re shutting down this area for a period of time because of the violence taking place’?” says Norm Ornstein of the American Enterprise Institute. If you are in Trump’s camp and heedless of boundaries, he said, “what I would expect is you’re not going to do one or two of these things—you’ll do as many as you can.”
Old 09-23-2020, 10:59 AM   #4067
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

If you ever needed confirmation that Republican voters simply put a check beside the R without any further information...

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/09/1...-aria-dimezzo/
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 10:59 AM   #4068
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Enough with this horse####. There is no evidence that anyone in the democratic party is planning to tamper with the vote. There is hard evidence that Russia already tampered with the 2016 election and is doing so again to benefit the Republicans, and Trump is on record stating that he will not accept the result if he loses and is planning to send voter intimidation squads in blue voting districts. One side is justifiably frightened that this election will be stolen and the US will slide into fascism, the other side is being fed fake news by Trump and Fox
The point is that members from both parties are saying the election is going to be rigged by their opponent. Watch Fox News and you see it all the time. Trump has been ramping up the fears of election rigging for ages.

It's all part of sowing distrust and division among the electorate and undermining the electoral process. The election is the last legal means of removing Trump from office, and if it comes to be considered illegitimate while Trump and the GOP hold nearly all the seats of power, it's over. Fake news is a critical part of undermining the system. There are people who will cheer the death of their democracy at the same time as they believe they are defending it.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 11:00 AM   #4069
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Cecil - please post the links to the last two articles you quoted.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:02 AM   #4070
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

We are all biased.

Can you provide one instance where Democrats have implemented a law intended to suppress the vote of a specific group? Can you point to an instance of Democrats trying to actively work against someone to cast a vote. Can you point to an instance of the Democrats using the government mechanism to act as a hindrance to voting? Can you point to the Democrats encouraging other nations to actively influence the electoral process? There is ONE side trying to steal the election. It ain't the Dems.

Both sides have their challenges when it comes to playing politics, but when it comes to dirty politics and actively trying to damage the process, the Republicans are in a class all by themselves. You have to go to Russia to find this level of evil.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 11:09 AM   #4071
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post

I never said there was. I’m saying the there are people who truly believe it though.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Poster For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 11:12 AM   #4072
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Can you provide one instance where Democrats have implemented a law intended to suppress the vote of a specific group? Can you point to an instance of Democrats trying to actively work against someone to cast a vote. Can you point to an instance of the Democrats using the government mechanism to act as a hindrance to voting? Can you point to the Democrats encouraging other nations to actively influence the electoral process? There is ONE side trying to steal the election. It ain't the Dems.

Both sides have their challenges when it comes to playing politics, but when it comes to dirty politics and actively trying to damage the process, the Republicans are in a class all by themselves. You have to go to Russia to find this level of evil.
No I can’t because I’m not nearly as articulate, or educated like you. However I promise you for every smart New Era, there is another one on the other side who could and would take on this challenge.

Just an observation, I’m pretty comfortable being on the side of Fvck Trump.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poster For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 11:17 AM   #4073
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Cecil - please post the links to the last two articles you quoted.
Sorry, it’s from ResAliens post. Great read.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...oncede/616424/
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 11:37 AM   #4074
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I feel like a constitutional crisis inevitable, nevermind possible.

What, me worry?

I definitely feel we are headed to a constitutional crisis come November 4th. Without a doubt. Trump is going to declare himself the winner sometime during the evening of the 3rd, and then actively work to stop ballot counting around the nation. The Democrats will sue, get an order for counting to continue, and the issue will end up in the Supreme Court. At that point Trump's nominees will pay off huge and if the ballot counting has not yet established a Biden electoral college victory, they will stop counting and name Donald Trump president. Violence in pockets around the country will take place, but the real anger will not reach flashpoint levels until the Supreme Court decision comes down. At that point, it's an unknown, but I will have the car packed and pointed toward Mexico, just in case.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:44 AM   #4075
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
A second American civil war is definitely going to happen, just a matter of time at this point.
You keep pushing that scenario. I'm not sure if you understand how unlikely that is. Yet you've stated it as a foregone conclusion, multiple times.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 01:53 PM   #4076
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I might lose the election due to a made up scam I’m brainwashing people with so I need to stack the Supreme Court so I can stay in power.

This is insane. He’s not even hiding what he wants.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1308853788862828544
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 02:02 PM   #4077
Ragnar
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I need a Trump re-election purely to see the outrage in this thread. It's gonna be worse than a playoff loss PGT.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:06 PM   #4078
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
I need a Trump re-election purely to see the outrage in this thread. It's gonna be worse than a playoff loss PGT.
Owning the libs amirite?
Old 09-23-2020, 02:07 PM   #4079
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
You keep pushing that scenario. I'm not sure if you understand how unlikely that is. Yet you've stated it as a foregone conclusion, multiple times.
Totally agree...arguing on twitter or WhatsApp isn't the same as pulling the trigger. Are you really going to shoot your uncle over the slightly racist memes he posts?

With that said the blue states would do quite well in a civil war. They've got water access, and a mountain range protecting their pig population centres in the east and west. Allies and overseas bases could be called on for support and resupply. The red team would have to fight a two front war with nothing but open plains. In a prolonged fight the blue teams science advantage will start building to an insurmountable force.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:12 PM   #4080
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Me too man! Can't wait to see how ####ed Canadians will be when the elephant rolls over on the mouse.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread