Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2014, 03:53 PM   #4041
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I do. Plex was brought to my attention when I was ranting to a friend about how iTunes should manage their videos using iCloud. All I wanted to do was be able to watch my library while on my lunch break or on vacation. I also subscribe to it just to keep them happy and developing. Not needing iTunes to manage the videos on my iPad for my kids is worth the yearly cost and then some.
Ah cool. I was excited to see Plex on Xbox One and then disappointed to see it was part of the pass. I only use Plex on my PC so it's hard to justify $150 for the Xbox. Not a big deal, I will wait until it's off of Plex Pass.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #4042
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames89 View Post
Halo was just a GoldenEye ripoff in space
They all ripped off Duke Nukem and Quake. I remember when Half-Life came out after quake everyone was wetting their pants about how amazing the graphics were in Half-Life lol.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #4043
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
They all ripped off Duke Nukem and Quake. I remember when Half-Life came out after quake everyone was wetting their pants about how amazing the graphics were in Half-Life lol.
Wolfenstein 3D. /discussion
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2014, 12:51 PM   #4044
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Classic. To me Halo builds more off Quake 2 with the jumping mechanics. Damn was Quake 2 fun back in the day.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #4045
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
I remember as a kid when Wolfenstein 3D came out and my only reaction was "This is amazing". Then Doom came out and I thought "This is way more amazing", then I got to Duke Nukem 3D and it was "Holy ####, I can look up and down now. Amazing!", then it went to Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight and it was all the previous amazement I had ever experienced, + lightsabers. Nothing has ever topped that so far

And this goes back to the extreme hype around Halo when it first came out. The only reason people thought it was so amazing was because they never got to experience FPS games on a PC. The first one that was actually decent on the console blew their mind, but compared to the PC kings Half-Life and Quake it didn't offer anything special at all. Like when a new iPhone gets released and all the Apple fans start gushing about all the awesome new features, most of which Android has had for years

Last edited by Hemi-Cuda; 12-19-2014 at 02:30 PM.
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #4046
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Halo was the game that brought consoles online and brought multiplayer into people's living rooms. It's just as important in the history of consoles as Quake (spawned Team Fortress) was to PC's. I get it you don't like the Xbox but you are trying way too hard to discredit Halo here.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2014, 11:22 PM   #4047
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yep. I can see how the original now seems dated, but when it was first released its story, musical score, and overall experience was quite grandiose. It was certainly unique in the console world at the time, and Halo 2 did much the same with online multiplayer on console.

Ah, the memories.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:34 PM   #4048
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I still listen to the Halo soundtracks from time to time.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #4049
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Halo was the game that brought consoles online and brought multiplayer into people's living rooms. It's just as important in the history of consoles as Quake (spawned Team Fortress) was to PC's. I get it you don't like the Xbox but you are trying way too hard to discredit Halo here.
Agreed. It was really the first time that a console got the FPS genre right. N64's Goldeneye 007 was good in its day, but it's really hard to look back on it and say they got it right (that control scheme made me hate life) or that it was a game-changer.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #4050
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed. It was really the first time that a console got the FPS genre right. N64's Goldeneye 007 was good in its day, but it's really hard to look back on it and say they got it right (that control scheme made me hate life) or that it was a game-changer.
I'd say it was a very important step that consoles had to take and one of the most important games in the genre. That being said, it holds up so poorly that it's almost unbelievable. For that reason it won't be remembered as fondly, and that's too bad imo.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:55 AM   #4051
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I remember as a kid when Wolfenstein 3D came out and my only reaction was "This is amazing". Then Doom came out and I thought "This is way more amazing", then I got to Duke Nukem 3D and it was "Holy ####, I can look up and down now. Amazing!", then it went to Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight and it was all the previous amazement I had ever experienced, + lightsabers. Nothing has ever topped that so far

And this goes back to the extreme hype around Halo when it first came out. The only reason people thought it was so amazing was because they never got to experience FPS games on a PC. The first one that was actually decent on the console blew their mind, but compared to the PC kings Half-Life and Quake it didn't offer anything special at all. Like when a new iPhone gets released and all the Apple fans start gushing about all the awesome new features, most of which Android has had for years
I disagree. I played all of the games you mentioned and I still enjoyed Halo. It was a great game. It's got a cool setting, fantastic soundtrack, the AI was advanced (for the time), and the gameplay was solid. I am not a huge fan of the Flood introduction because the game degenerates into an old-school corridor shooter but I still think it's a solid game.

As I pointed out previously, the game did introduce new things to the genre. The two weapon limit and regenerating shields resulted in a big shift in gameplay. Only being able to carry two weapons meant you had to make decisions about what you were going to take. It also meant that if you ran out of ammo you might have to pick up enemy weapons on the fly. It was quite the change from having a backpack full of weapons of escalating power. In Halo the weapons were mostly all balanced and there wasn't any BFG. Mixed infantry/vehicle combat wasn't new, but at the time I thought it was the first game to really nail it. BF1942 wouldn't come out for another year but the infantry combat was pretty poor IMO.

I may be in the minority but I find Half-Life kind of over-rated. Actually over-rated is the wrong word. It just wasn't my kind of game. The main reason I even got the first Half-Life was to play the Day of Defeat and Team Fortress mods. That being said, I respect what the series accomplished for PC FPS gaming but I've never really been a big fan of the games themselves. It's just a personal taste. Wolfenstein 3D on the other hand is great and I lost a lot of hours playing RtCW. In terms of games that really "wowed me" I'd have to throw the original Descent out there. For all intents and purposes it was the first "FPS" to allow 3 axis of movement and I remember being blow away by that freedom. But just because another game did something first doesn't mean that all games which follow it are trash.

Last edited by cDnStealth; 12-22-2014 at 09:28 AM.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:16 AM   #4052
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd say it was a very important step that consoles had to take and one of the most important games in the genre. That being said, it holds up so poorly that it's almost unbelievable. For that reason it won't be remembered as fondly, and that's too bad imo.
Can't agree more. I have a softmodded original Xbox console with a bunch of emulators on it, and Goldeneye 007 happens to be one of them. We tried to play the game a few weeks ago and it was so bad that we didnt even finish the first match and went right back to Mario Kart 64. It was virtually unplayable.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #4053
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Can't agree more. I have a softmodded original Xbox console with a bunch of emulators on it, and Goldeneye 007 happens to be one of them. We tried to play the game a few weeks ago and it was so bad that we didnt even finish the first match and went right back to Mario Kart 64. It was virtually unplayable.
To think I used to be able to strafe, jump, and lob a grenade from one end of the temple to another with perfect precision, and now I can't even shoot straight with a rifle while standing still. It almost feels like somebody is screwing with me.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:16 AM   #4054
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I must have played Battlefield 1942 consistently for a good 7 years when it came out. Way too good. Especially when the Desert Combat, Eve of Destruction and Forgotten Hope mods came out. Didn't bother with Battlefield Vietnam or Battlefield 2, I was still playing 1942 up until probably 2008
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:22 AM   #4055
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To think I used to be able to strafe, jump, and lob a grenade from one end of the temple to another with perfect precision, and now I can't even shoot straight with a rifle while standing still. It almost feels like somebody is screwing with me.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2014, 01:38 PM   #4056
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I am now a member of the WiiBoneU1 club after some shifty work by my friends.

An awesome and expensive gift to be sure, so I will use it and get a PS4 at a later time.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:45 PM   #4057
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

No love for UT?

Instagib Facing Worlds or Facing Worlds 2?

Toss in some low grav?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:19 PM   #4058
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is PSN STILL down?? Picked up a PS4 on Boxing Day. I know those DB's Lizard whatever messed everything up, but I thought it was up and running again. Trying to set up my new PSN ID, said it just needs me to confirm my account via an email they sent me, except they never sent it (and yes I checked my spam folder as well). I've had it re-sent 5 times, still nothing. Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or if its still down for everyone.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:29 PM   #4059
Bootsy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Is PSN STILL down?? Picked up a PS4 on Boxing Day. I know those DB's Lizard whatever messed everything up, but I thought it was up and running again. Trying to set up my new PSN ID, said it just needs me to confirm my account via an email they sent me, except they never sent it (and yes I checked my spam folder as well). I've had it re-sent 5 times, still nothing. Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or if its still down for everyone.
It was back up and running for me today , I'm not sure why you're not receiving the email but there could still be some bugs , maybe give it a day and then try consutomer service?
Bootsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:53 PM   #4060
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

4 million PS4's sold (through to customers not "shipped") worldwide during November and December.

NPD numbers for December should be out in a week or two. Color me surprised that Microsoft actually raised the price back up on the Xbone after their holiday discount.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4.../1100-6424475/

Sony has now sold more than 18.5 million PlayStation 4 units worldwide, the company announced today in a Japanese press release translated by Reuters. This is up from 13.5 million at the end of October 2014. The new milestone counts consoles sold up to January 4, 2015.

It's possible PS4 sales could have been even stronger if it weren't for supply issues in Europe during Christmas, according to PlayStation president Andrew House. The executive also admitted that PS4 sales conditions were "tougher" in November due to the Xbox One price cut.

By comparison, the Xbox One had shipped 10 million units as of November. Microsoft has not provided a new sales tally since. We'll have that information for you as soon as it becomes available.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote