Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2022, 09:13 AM   #4021
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess we will see! I tend to follow the most pessimistic forecast when it comes to not being cold and wet.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 10:22 AM   #4022
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I did not get a 50km/h tailwind yesterday
I did get a 15km/h headwind this morning and looks like a headwind home too.
Wet wasn't too bad this morning, more road spray than getting rained on.
Old 10-21-2022, 12:35 PM   #4023
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

So today I picked up my gravel rig from the shop as they finally got the new hoops built up.

Went with Bitex hubs (boys at the shop tell me they are solid hubs and easily serviced and rebuildable) and they are laced to DT Swiss GR 531 hoops. The wheels were handbuilt at the bike shop south

I am generally not a huge fan of red; however, I think this turned out nicely. Over the winter I am going to order red jockey wheels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2022, 01:12 PM   #4024
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
So today I picked up my gravel rig from the shop as they finally got the new hoops built up.

Went with Bitex hubs (boys at the shop tell me they are solid hubs and easily serviced and rebuildable) and they are laced to DT Swiss GR 531 hoops. The wheels were handbuilt at the bike shop south

I am generally not a huge fan of red; however, I think this turned out nicely. Over the winter I am going to order red jockey wheels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not a fan of red? You sure bout that? I like the idea of colored hockey wheels - were would you order from? Lbs, Amazon, AliExpress?
Looks real good though.
I had that same back tire and it lasted forever. You’ll need something grippier pretty soon.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 01:16 PM   #4025
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Saw quite a few on the Sideshow, Bowmont trails last night just before sunset. It was “warmer” there (about +5-7) than 12mile which was -2. Sure was dry and dusty. Fun trails at night even if they do have a different personality at night.

Am hoping this colder weather will scare away a lot of the pathway riders. Yesterday morning way WAY too many ninjas. It was unsafe for sure. Sure they “can see well enough to ride” but nobody can really see them.
Old 10-21-2022, 01:28 PM   #4026
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My new road bike is fairly black looking so I am going with a bit of red accent on it. I think I may have the same bottle cages (bontrager?), and some coordinating bar tape and bar ends. I like the look of the red hubs you have, but I’m not going to get my wheels rebuilt just for the colour. The jockey wheel idea might work though, so I’d like to know where you get them as well.

With the weather this weekend I’m thinking of giving my mountain bike and end of season cleaning, and pulling the fat bike down and getting it ready. But it looks like it’s going to be shoulder season for now, hopefully the gap between summer biking and enough snow for the fat bike doesn’t last too long.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 01:43 PM   #4027
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Just about got in a head on collision on quarry trail the other night. Some dumbass was flying downhill cutting the corners. Idiot damn near clipped me but he swerved. Not much wiggle room for high speed encounters on that trail.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 01:44 PM   #4028
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ryan - i previously had some red jockey wheels on my rear mech (until i blew it up when it got caught up in my wheel and the jockey wheels bent a bit). I bought them from amazon.

i keep seeing ads for JRC components in my social media feed; however, they are over in england and ship via DHL whcih sometimes hits you with duty/brokerage fees. i am sure i did some searching and found a supplier in Toronto of colored jockey wheels

i would not have made this purchase for jsut cosemetic reasons. i had broken about 5 or so spokes at various times this summer and the last time i broke a spoke was infront of charbar downtown. tried to baby my bike home; however, i got within 3k andi assume my wheel flexed and grabbed my rear mech and it was game over for everything. i had planned to buy new wheel next spring, so this just meant speeding up the process.

i am going to look at new wheels for my mtn bike over the winter; however, i may wind up getting them relaced as i have broken a few spokes on that as well; however, replacing the rear mech would be far more painful. i will trust the boys at teh shop to steer me in the right direction
Old 10-22-2022, 05:07 PM   #4029
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Can I recycle bike tires and tubes in the city blue bin?

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 09:36 PM   #4030
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ https://www.calgary.ca/waste/what-go...and-tubes.html
Old 10-23-2022, 10:10 AM   #4031
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice job Calgary, for not having any tire recycling bins south of downtown.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 01:08 PM   #4032
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Am hoping the pathways are cleared for Monday mornings bike commute. Debating if the gravel tires are good enough or if the studded need to be put on.
Old 10-23-2022, 01:42 PM   #4033
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I put my studs on an hour ago. I go through areas that often have pooled water, and my summer tires are pretty slick. I do have a second set of wheels though, so it only takes 10 minutes. I have a feeling I'll be swapping back tomorrow afternoon.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2022, 03:20 PM   #4034
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Am hoping the pathways are cleared for Monday mornings bike commute. Debating if the gravel tires are good enough or if the studded need to be put on.
Was driving today (crazy I know) and the Bow river and Nose creek pathways looked nice and clear. Just wet like the roads. I'm still going to play it safe and roll the winter bike tomorrow just in case there is some surprise ice around in the early morning.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 04:28 PM   #4035
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

For anyone looking to go tubeless, especially, but not limited to a fat bike, check these out: http://fattystripper.com/

Cheaper than a tube, and holy hell do I wish I went this route before bothering with tape etc. They have options for all sorts of wheel sizes and widths.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2022, 04:45 PM   #4036
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

My season came to an abrupt end Tuesday. Riding [too fast] down the path behind the Shag golf course I rounded a corner meeting two guys standing in the path. I locked up, almost saved it but hard down on my right shoulder. Physio says it’s an AC joint tear. No broken collarbone so I’ll consider myself lucky. I am now learning how many random movements you actually use your shoulder in. When I landed I also hit my left thumb on the handlebars and hyperextended/sprained it. The combo is great fun: ow, can’t turn that door handle with my left hand, rotate gingerly around to use my right. Can I lift that plate with my left hand or can I raise my right arm high enough to grasp it? So many fun adventures!
Old 10-24-2022, 01:17 PM   #4037
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Rode in today and paths were pretty much in summer conditions. Little snow by the rail tracks in Inglewood but nothing too bad. Wooden bridges were frosty but no different than a morning with dew. See how the melt goes but I think everything will be back to last weeks conditions by Wed/Thurs with the run-off gone by then.
Old 10-24-2022, 03:39 PM   #4038
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ thanks for this update. We are in the office on Wednesday, and I really want to ride into work and this helps me.

i am going to head out tomorrow afternoon for a bit of a reconnaisance ride to at least glenmore - mostly because i want to test the new wheelset - but i also want a sense of the path
Old 10-24-2022, 04:54 PM   #4039
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
So I drove half and rode half… started at bottom of Home Road and headed into downtown. 99.99% ice free. No issues on the gravel tires. Only slightly dubious areas were a couple short puddles and the ped bridge across to Princes Island by curling club. I heard other bridge decks and some areas near trees enabled riders to practice flexing their sphincters. Should be good riding rest of the week minis some underpasses.
Old 10-24-2022, 06:20 PM   #4040
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ thanks for this update. We are in the office on Wednesday, and I really want to ride into work and this helps me.

i am going to head out tomorrow afternoon for a bit of a reconnaisance ride to at least glenmore - mostly because i want to test the new wheelset - but i also want a sense of the path
Only issues I see from south are glenmore pedestrian bridge will be slick in the morning and a lot of wet leaves on the new west side path by that chicane might be fine by Wednesday though