Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2023, 07:17 PM   #4021
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I'm claiming ownership over 'X' and am using it as my avatar. Your move, Elon.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2023, 07:18 PM   #4022
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2023, 09:27 PM   #4023
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Not that they don't know how, but Musky is usually super-belligerent and petulant, so he might just try to brute-force his way into getting the trademark from Meta/Microsoft.
You cannot 'bruteforce' something that someone else owns, basically he's utterly hooped as they dont need his money and I don't think Zuckerberg is going to do him any favours, I'm guessing he's going to get sued to death then have to rename X something else by court order
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2023, 10:46 PM   #4024
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

'I'd like to complain about this website I bought, the bird appears to be dead'

Old 07-24-2023, 10:58 PM   #4025
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1682994638024736770
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 07:37 AM   #4026
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is just putting a hat on a hat.

Twitter has no purpose for this 'everything app'. Facebook or Whatapp or something that has a bazillion users would help. Twitter doesn't have enough users (or the right users) to build an everything app on top of. Twitter users are basically CalgaryPuck users across a bunch of topics. They are people who are just going to use Apple/Google Pay and their bank (and Venmo/Cashapp in the US)
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 08:35 AM   #4027
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
You cannot 'bruteforce' something that someone else owns, basically he's utterly hooped as they dont need his money and I don't think Zuckerberg is going to do him any favours, I'm guessing he's going to get sued to death then have to rename X something else by court order
By "brute force" I meant that I could see Musk just barrelling ahead with the change to 'X' and daring Meta/Microsoft to drag it out in court with him. "They don't need his money," true, but these companies are still rational actors that would rather get something for a trademark they're barely using than spend more money than it's worth defending it in court.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 08:48 AM   #4028
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
By "brute force" I meant that I could see Musk just barrelling ahead with the change to 'X' and daring Meta/Microsoft to drag it out in court with him. "They don't need his money," true, but these companies are still rational actors that would rather get something for a trademark they're barely using than spend more money than it's worth defending it in court.
you don't think zuck would do it?
I think he would as petty payback to Musk. Be worth a few bucks to put him in his place, especially when it comes to his beloved letter X.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 08:57 AM   #4029
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suggest Musk and Zuck take it into the ring and the winner gets to use the X trademark.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 09:02 AM   #4030
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should Zuck really be suing Musk for sabotaging Twitter? He's probably better off just letting him continue to sink his ship.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 09:05 AM   #4031
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Should Zuck really be suing Musk for sabotaging Twitter? He's probably better off just letting him continue to sink his ship.
When an adversary's ship is sinking, you don't toss a lifeline, you toss a rock. Another lawsuit, along with court orders just gives Musk more headaches, and diverts resources from adding features to changing names, logos, domains, security certificates, all sorts of irritating software work.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2023, 09:36 AM   #4032
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trademark Disputes Could Mean Elon’s ‘X’ Is Already Fxxked

https://gizmodo.com/meta-microsoft-o...usk-1850673517

Patent attorney Josh Gerben told Reuters he counted close to 900 U.S. trademark registrations on “X” throughout a wide range of industries.

A cursory search through the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office database reveals some of these logo patents were filed as recently as last week, just a few days before Musk started mentioning his intent to rebrand Twitter. Some trademark logos are as simple as a big “X” in a square box. Others from firms like Brand X Co. include a more stylized X that could compare to Musk’s current choice of logo. That’s despite the design bearing a strong resemblance to the Monotype brand font and the Unicode character (U+1D54F).

He loves the “X” brand so much that he’s naming the company conference rooms with the letter. The New York Times reported he’s renamed conference rooms to “eXposure,” “eXult” and “s3Xy,” because the billionaire has apparently never left the early 2000s when leetspeak was still a thing.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 10:23 AM   #4033
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:

Trademarks have to be defended in order to remain valid. This will be litigated.
Old 07-25-2023, 12:26 PM   #4034
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Trademarks have to be defended in order to remain valid.
Of course.

Quote:
This will be litigated.
Of course. But only up to the point it makes sense to continue litigating it.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 02:22 PM   #4035
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Of course.

Of course. But only up to the point it makes sense to continue litigating it.
I don't know about that.

Trademarks are easily the one piece of property that companies are willing to spend obscene amounts of money to enforce. I you don't, you lose it.

Microsoft / Meta have way more money and willpower to enforce their trademarks than Twitter does at this point. These aren't companies that are easily pushed over.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 02:47 PM   #4036
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Isn't something as common as the letter 'X' really difficult to trademark? Like it can be trademarked, but it has to be very specific to an application? ie - Just because someone owns "X" cola doesn't prevent someone else from starting an "X" drilling company, because "X" is a broad term and those are different industries.

This thread has already dug up a ton of trademarks for "X" in various forms, what's to stop Elon from throwing his "X" in to the mix? Doesn't he just have to prove that his use of "X" is unique to his application and he's in the clear?
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 02:50 PM   #4037
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Isn't something as common as the letter 'X' really difficult to trademark? Like it can be trademarked, but it has to be very specific to an application? ie - Just because someone owns "X" cola doesn't prevent someone else from starting an "X" drilling company, because "X" is a broad term and those are different industries.

This thread has already dug up a ton of trademarks for "X" in various forms, what's to stop Elon from throwing his "X" in to the mix? Doesn't he just have to prove that his use of "X" is unique to his application and he's in the clear?

See Post #4005.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2023, 03:18 PM   #4038
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
Trademark Disputes Could Mean Elon’s ‘X’ Is Already Fxxked

https://gizmodo.com/meta-microsoft-o...usk-1850673517

Patent attorney Josh Gerben told Reuters he counted close to 900 U.S. trademark registrations on “X” throughout a wide range of industries.

A cursory search through the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office database reveals some of these logo patents were filed as recently as last week, just a few days before Musk started mentioning his intent to rebrand Twitter. Some trademark logos are as simple as a big “X” in a square box. Others from firms like Brand X Co. include a more stylized X that could compare to Musk’s current choice of logo. That’s despite the design bearing a strong resemblance to the Monotype brand font and the Unicode character (U+1D54F).

He loves the “X” brand so much that he’s naming the company conference rooms with the letter. The New York Times reported he’s renamed conference rooms to “eXposure,” “eXult” and “s3Xy,” because the billionaire has apparently never left the early 2000s when leetspeak was still a thing.
I wonder if, after Musk loses his lawsuit, he's going to take those Xs down. Or will it be like Calaway Park and the random sad Flintstones references everywhere?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 03:23 PM   #4039
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post

Sure, if he were selling, say, shoe insoles. But he's not. He wants X to be the everything app. Which means it is going to necessarily trip over trademark claims by all sorts fo companies. Like videos. And Games. And video games. For starters.

It's a bit like when Apple signed an agreement with the Beatles that they would not go into music. Apple would be a computer trademark, and The Beatles had Apple Records for music. Which was all fine until iTunes.

Musk couldn't use a Model E for Tesla(so he could have his models spell "SEX", because he's mentally 14), because Ford owns that for vehicles, which is why it's the Model 3.

Quote:
During an interview recorded in 2006 Musk referred to "Model 2" (later Tesla Model S), and to "Model 3".[31] The Model 3 was codenamed Tesla "BlueStar" in the original business plan in 2007.[56][57][58] An intended name of "Model E" was not used owing to Ford's trademark for an electric vehicle expected to be released by Ford in early 2019.[59] Model 3, originally stylized as "Model ☰", was announced on Musk's Twitter account on July 16, 2014.[60] A 2015-presentation by JB Straubel used the name "Model III".[61] As of 2016 Musk had wanted the three models to spell SEX, but settled for "S3X".[62] In early 2017, after trademark opposition regarding Adidas's three stripes logo,[63] the triplicate horizontal-bar stylization was abandoned and changed to a numeric "3".[64]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_...3#Model_naming

LOL, even ran afoul of Adidas. He's really not very good at this.

Last edited by Fuzz; 07-25-2023 at 03:27 PM.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2023, 03:52 PM   #4040
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The really stupid thing is these will be really easy lawsuits to win, there's absolutely no question here, the trademark is owned, new twitter clearly is a similar company with a similar purpose, there is no question as to who came up with it first, this as clear a case of legal slam dunk as you can get, if Musk uses X, ignores the cease and desist while at the same time allowing all kinds of foul language and images on 'X' that can be argued have a detrimental effect on Meta and Microsoft's reputation, Musk will be eviscerated