Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 11:07 AM   #4001
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed View Post
Well, Harper also stated not that long ago that he believed that the party with the most seats should form the government. I guess we will see how he holds to that if he loses.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:08 AM   #4002
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Lol @ the hypocrisy!

NDP supports Liberal party to defeat CPC minority = NDP are heroes supporting Canadian's will!

NDP supports CPC to defeat Liberal minority = NDP are power at any cost weasels.
The Following User Says Thank You to crazy_eoj For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2015, 11:08 AM   #4003
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Has anyone heard if mcdavid is voting today?

The mcdavid voting/election coverage has been terrible.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2015, 11:10 AM   #4004
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_eoj View Post
Lol @ the hypocrisy!

NDP supports Liberal party to defeat CPC minority = NDP are heroes supporting Canadian's will!

NDP supports CPC to defeat Liberal minority = NDP are power at any cost weasels.
Not really hypocrisy when both the Liberals and NDP are considered leaning left parties.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:11 AM   #4005
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I was pleasantly surprised to see a Marxist-Leninist candidate on my ballot. Vote not wasted.

Voted in Calgary Heritage this morning, almost gave Larry Heather my X, just for laughs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2015, 11:11 AM   #4006
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lol @ the hypocrisy!

The only party really in favour of a coalition this whole time was the NDP. Most Liberal supporters I know did not want a coalition with the NDP, and I am sure the vast majority of CPC and NDP supporters would have never thought of a coalition before now.

Who are the hypocrites here?

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 10-19-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:11 AM   #4007
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Lol @ the hypocrisy!

Yes because Mulcair clearly stated on several occasions that there's no "snowball's chance in hell" he would support CPC minority....
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2015, 11:16 AM   #4008
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

No surprise that it will be a minority government. I just hope if it is going to be a minority that the BQ do NOT have enough seats to be a difference maker. Keep them irrelevant.

Lib/PC/NDP - they will, as usual, fight it out over every little thing and nothing of note will happen until the next election call in a few years.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:17 AM   #4009
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

my favorite line of the campaign is Trudeau to Mulcair, "My dad didn't invent bilingualism for you to abuse by saying one thing in English and then something totally opposite in French"

Old 10-19-2015, 11:18 AM   #4010
sworkhard
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd potentially support a conservative-ndp coalition. If they could manage to force the conservative's hand on a lot of things like due process and crime legislation while gaining some small concessions on the economic side of things, I think you'd see a pretty decent government. Probably a better government than an lib-ndp government or a CPC-lib government.

However, I would by far prefer who ever makes up a minority government to avoid a coalition and work with the parties on a case by case basis.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:21 AM   #4011
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

From last month:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cana...rper-1.3218348

Quote:
Conservative Leader Stephen Harper says he will cease to be prime minister if his party comes a close second in the Oct. 19 election, signalling he will not resort to any procedural tactics to remain in power.

In a wide-ranging interview with CBC chief correspondent Peter Mansbridge, Harper was asked whether the party with the most seats should take power in a minority government situation.

"My position has always been if we win the most seats I will expect to form the government and if we don't, I won't," Harper said
Old 10-19-2015, 11:21 AM   #4012
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworkhard View Post
I'd potentially support a conservative-ndp coalition. If they could manage to force the conservative's hand on a lot of things like due process and crime legislation while gaining some small concessions on the economic side of things, I think you'd see a pretty decent government. Probably a better government than an lib-ndp government or a CPC-lib government.

However, I would by far prefer who ever makes up a minority government to avoid a coalition and work with the parties on a case by case basis.

Totally agree that parties should work together on a case by case.

Also agree with Senator Clay Davis above that if the NDP go into a Conservative coalition, they will be wiped out in the next election like what happened to in Great Britain.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:22 AM   #4013
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-fart View Post
No surprise that it will be a minority government. I just hope if it is going to be a minority that the BQ do NOT have enough seats to be a difference maker. Keep them irrelevant.
Most projections have winner taking ~140-150 seats tops. Bloq would have to far far far exceed polling results in order to be a kingmaker.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:23 AM   #4014
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drak View Post
Where's the ghost of Jack Layton when you need him.
Jack Layton would have done the same thing. Mulcair is cut from the same cloth.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:23 AM   #4015
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Jack Layton would have done the same thing because Jack Layton was a dbag too.
Nope.

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!
Old 10-19-2015, 11:24 AM   #4016
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

*shakes head*

You had a chance this time NDP. You really did. But you screwed the pooch by trying to look like something you're not, and flip flopping on multiple policy issues as they started to look at the popularity of such things (MJ being one of the main ones). And then being dishonest (or, perhaps worse, ignorant) about your plan to fund and implement your policies.

Could have made history for their party. Got power hungry and saw stars in their eyes and went full....you know.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:24 AM   #4017
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would love to see a formal coalition government here. I'm not sure why Canadians are so averse to the idea.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2015, 11:25 AM   #4018
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lol @ the hypocrisy!

You of course realize getting NDP support will not be free and will cost concessions to NDP demands. So as a CPC supporter, would you be cool with implementing say 35% of the NDP platform to remain in power? How badly do you want their support to stay in power temporarily?
Old 10-19-2015, 11:28 AM   #4019
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
You of course realize getting NDP support will not be free and will cost concessions to NDP demands. So as a CPC supporter, would you be cool with implementing say 35% of the NDP platform to remain in power? How badly do you want their support to stay in power temporarily?
I don't think the party coming in second should form government. If the CPC win the election and forms a minority government I have no problem with them negotiating with opposition parties to make parliament work.

I think the Liberal fanboys in this thread are hilarious though! Do you think it's awesome for the NDP to support a second place Liberal party into government but dastardly for them to do the same for the CPC?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crazy_eoj For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2015, 11:29 AM   #4020
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
*shakes head*

You had a chance this time NDP. You really did. But you screwed the pooch by trying to look like something you're not, and flip flopping on multiple policy issues as they started to look at the popularity of such things (MJ being one of the main ones). And then being dishonest (or, perhaps worse, ignorant) about your plan to fund and implement your policies.

Could have made history for their party. Got power hungry and saw stars in their eyes and went full....you know.
Life was so much easier when they had a little bald cancer survivor at the head. Seriously, that guy had so much charisma, and looks like Jesus compared to Mulcair.
Closed Thread