Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2022, 09:34 PM   #381
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Canada will really have no choice but to fall in line. Unfortunate, I really do prefer the twice yearly time changes. The US is affected by a permanent switch much less than Canada is and permanent DST probably makes sense for them. Being further south than Canada the magnitude of morning darkness will be much less for them. It will suck for us when it is not getting light until after 9am or later. But I'll admit the lighter evenings are okay.
This cannot be overstated enough. Enjoy your 9:30 sunrise in Calgary / 10:00am sunrise north of Edmonton during the winter here.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 10:02 PM   #382
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
This cannot be overstated enough. Enjoy your 9:30 sunrise in Calgary / 10:00am sunrise north of Edmonton during the winter here.

Anyone that works in a cube farm likely doesn’t care.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 09:35 AM   #383
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crazy idea if the US adopts permanent DST... what if Canada adopted (the more sensible option, IMO) permanent standard time? Sure, Toronto and New York would be an hour off from each other, but would it be the end of the world? European financial centres like London and Frankfurt have managed fine being an hour off.

And while Calgary wouldn't line up with Denver and Vegas anymore, we'd be aligned with Houston, which wouldn't be such a bad thing. And we would have much more latitude-appropriate sunrises on permanent standard time, and no time changes twice a year since that seems to be an increasing hardship for everyone. Win win?
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 09:51 AM   #384
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Crazy idea if the US adopts permanent DST... what if Canada adopted (the more sensible option, IMO) permanent standard time? Sure, Toronto and New York would be an hour off from each other, but would it be the end of the world? European financial centres like London and Frankfurt have managed fine being an hour off.

And while Calgary wouldn't line up with Denver and Vegas anymore, we'd be aligned with Houston, which wouldn't be such a bad thing. And we would have much more latitude-appropriate sunrises on permanent standard time, and no time changes twice a year since that seems to be an increasing hardship for everyone. Win win?
Except for it getting light at 3-4am all summer, and not having it be brighter at a more useful time of day.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2022, 10:06 AM   #385
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post

No, you have those backwards. If we stayed on Standard time year-round, while the US went to permanent Daylight time, we'd be on the same clock as the west coast, an hour behind Denver, 2 hours behind Chicago and Texas, and 3 hours behind the east coast.

If we were on the same time as Texas, we'd be on super-daylight time and even more out-of-step with the natural position of the sun. Sunrise in the winter would be after 10am.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:20 AM   #386
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Was on vacation and just returned tonight. Didn’t even realize it was daylight savings.
This is actually a clever way to mitigate the time change effects, since travel days tend to throw off your body clock a bit anyways (and often involve time zone change)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
For like 8 weeks when things are kinda miserable no matter what.

IMO the best solution has always been to keep the time steady and make finer tuned personal/societal changes, like adjusting school and workplace hours.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:23 AM   #387
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
No, you have those backwards. If we stayed on Standard time year-round, while the US went to permanent Daylight time, we'd be on the same clock as the west coast, an hour behind Denver, 2 hours behind Chicago and Texas, and 3 hours behind the east coast.

If we were on the same time as Texas, we'd be on super-daylight time and even more out-of-step with the natural position of the sun. Sunrise in the winter would be after 10am.
Well damn. You are correct. (Sound of balloon deflating)

So excluding the Houston part... I still don't feel that a one hour offset with the traditional US time zones would be a terrible thing.

And while I agree with Fuzz that the long evenings in the summer are nice, sunset would still be at nearly 9pm on standard time in the summer, instead of 10pm on daylight time, so it isn't as if our evenings would be useless.

Where we'd really see the impact is a 9:40 sunrise in Calgary (and later up north) and being 1.5 hours "late" of solar noon. I just don't think that'll be any good for people's brains, but I also don't think that we'll appreciate the impact until we've tried it for a couple of years and then want to revert back.

For what it is worth, I have come to believe that cycling between daylight and standard time is actually quite sensible. Although there are short term effects, it does what is intended: shifts daylight to a more useful time of day in the summer, without sacrificing winter mornings for it.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2022, 10:27 AM   #388
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
This is actually a clever way to mitigate the time change effects, since travel days tend to throw off your body clock a bit anyways (and often involve time zone change)-snip-
I once flew through Pearson on the time change day. Got the pleasure of an extra hour at 5am with nothing open. Careful with that strategy!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2022, 10:30 AM   #389
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I once flew through Pearson on the time change day. Got the pleasure of an extra hour at 5am with nothing open. Careful with that strategy!

I’m pretty much a direct flights only guy at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:37 AM   #390
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I blame my brother. His wedding in Cuba, so I didn't have a choice on that one.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:38 AM   #391
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Selfishly, this would be perfect for me, sign me up.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 12:35 PM   #392
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I take it all back! Down with DST!

I didnt care before, but now my EPL Matches start an hour later?? Boo-urns!! Boo-urns I say!!

Down with this sort of thing!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 12:42 PM   #393
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Careful now
MegaErtz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 01:30 PM   #394
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

I didnt care before, but now my EPL Matches start an hour later?? Boo-urns!! Boo-urns I say!!

Shouldn't they start an hour earlier because we're now an hour closer to the UK (at least for 2 weeks until they switch their clocks)?
Old 03-16-2022, 01:59 PM   #395
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Shouldn't they start an hour earlier because we're now an hour closer to the UK (at least for 2 weeks until they switch their clocks)?
This is not how timezones work.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 02:00 PM   #396
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nope, between them scheduling the matches a little later Liverpool doesnt kick off today until 2:15!

2:15?!?! I like my EPL at 12:45 so I can watch a little over my lunch!

This is an outrage that shant be permitted to stand!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-16-2022, 02:01 PM   #397
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nope, between them scheduling the matches a little later Liverpool doesnt kick off today until 2:15!

2:15?!?! I like my EPL at 12:45 so I can watch a little over my lunch!

This is an outrage that shant be permitted to stand!!
Can you guys just win about 5-0 today? It's the least you could do for us...after all, we took care of City and got you back into the race a couple weeks ago. TIA
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 02:52 PM   #398
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
This is not how timezones work.
Quote:
Okay, that hurt my brain... but I finally got it. I was thinking about the Arizona difference, but in that case, we're moving away from Arizona with the change. In this case, we're moving closer to England, so our time is closer to the actual start time of the game... but in this case, you don't want the clocks to be closer to the actual start time.
Old 03-16-2022, 05:18 PM   #399
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:

Edmonton Public Library?
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 05:25 PM   #400
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Edmonton Public Library?
Equestrian Polo League.