Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2023, 01:17 AM   #381
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm hoping for the Bama Washington final and will sit back and watch the world burn.
Old 12-04-2023, 08:46 AM   #382
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs View Post
All 4

I think if you had every team play each other in January Georgia goes undefeated. I think they beat Texas by double digits easily.
Georgia didn't really have any great wins this year that prove they are any where near as good as you're claiming. They beat middling ACC opponent Georgia Tech by 8 points, and lost against the one top team they played.

SEC gets all the over-rated pre season rankings, so they all stay in the top 25 because they are either beating highly ranked teams, or not getting punished much for losing to highly ranked teams. But when they play outside of their conference, they aren't proving their superiority on the field. They were 4-6 against ACC schools.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 08:50 AM   #383
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
If Georgia had won, FSU would have got the fourth spot. FSU was #4 last week, and Texas was #7. There is no way a one loss Texas should have leapfrogged undefeated FSU by beating a team ranked worse than the team FSU beat.

Texas only passed FSU so they could justify getting Alabama in. You can also factor in Alabama's win making Texas's win against them look stronger. There is no way that Texas passes Florida State if Alabama wasn't a factor.
It's wild to me how much sway Alabama has over college football. It feels like every year that Bama isn't undefeated, the whole system works hard to argue why they should make the playoffs anyway. I think they started with the notion that Alabama was getting in (once they beat Georgia). Then, I think they figured they had to include Texas too, since they're the team that beat Alabama.

What's wild is that the team that was screwed is Florida State. Florida State! It's not like they're some 2nd tier program or Johnny-come-lately. They've won multiple titles themselves. It just shows again how much power and influence Alabama has over the sport. It's pretty wild when you consider it in the national perspective. Of all places and schools, Alabama?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 08:50 AM   #384
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Of course not, but I said this earlier if the qualification criteria were defined so a spot can be earned and not selected this would never be an issue. We'd complain about the field being too big, or whatever, but the fact Florida State's season ended because of a freak injury and not because they lost a game is still kinda weak, even if as a fan I'm happier to not see them get in to lose by 35.
Next year does have a defined criteria of the top 6 ranked conference champs getting in automatically.

I doubt they'd lose by anywhere close to 35 anyway. Their defense is elite, and they can grind out a close game with most teams, and would have had a month to get their QB going.
Old 12-04-2023, 08:52 AM   #385
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Take FSU +12 easily. Chip on their shoulder and everything etc... It's a downgrade for Georgia, will they care?

Old 12-04-2023, 09:00 AM   #386
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

McCord probably got run out of town by the fanbase. Ohio state’s gonna need a new QB as their starter has entered the portal
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 10:59 AM   #387
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

That FSU and Georgia game might become the opt out bowl. When there was no playoffs and the players cared about these games these teams might have shown up with something to prove. But in today's world anyone with a possible NFL future likely skips this game.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2023, 11:02 AM   #388
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
That FSU and Georgia game might become the opt out bowl. When there was no playoffs and the players cared about these games these teams might have shown up with something to prove. But in today's world anyone with a possible NFL future likely skips this game.
Yeah, I wonder what these bowls will look like next year with a 12 team playoff. I suppose their fun for supporters of schools without much playoff hope to go to, but hard to imagine them getting any national tv viewers at all.
Old 12-04-2023, 11:10 AM   #389
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Florida State is the only team in the top 13 that won't be in the SEC or Big 10 next year.

It looks like it will be nearly impossible for anyone outside those 2 conferences to get an at large bid moving forward.

FSU, Arizona, Liberty, and Tulane I guess would get the Auto bids. Ironically, SMU has made their path to the playoffs significantly tougher by going to the ACC.
Old 12-04-2023, 11:17 AM   #390
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Now that Rick Scott is crying about it I fully support the CFP committee. Suck it Florida get bent
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2023, 12:02 PM   #391
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I’m still really torn on this one. As bad as FSU looked with their backup, they still won. And it’s not like they didn’t have some quality wins and looked good doing it for most of the year. How do you start the week at #4, then WIN your conference championship and drop? If the QB thing was such an issue for the committee, they should have dropped them out last week.

On the other hand, they would have opened as 10-15 point dogs to any of the teams who did make the top 4. Even if they “deserved” to make it, does anyone really want to see them get beat by 20 just so we can say we were fair and rewarded them for going undefeated?

Bama lost to a damn good conference champion. It’s not like the committee let in a non conference champion who lost to a G5 or FCS team.

To me the difference between 13-0 and 12-1 is negligible, especially when the lone loss is to a ranked conference champ (or in Texas’ case to a ranked rival).

With all things considered, Bama does look like the better team. It’s a tough call but not the travesty many CFB fans are making it out to be. It was always a coin flip and they chose who provides the better competition over “deserves”.

Although, I also don’t put quite the same value into going undefeated as many old school college fans do.

Come January, no one is gonna care that FSU got left out. Not unless Bama gets destroyed by Michigan and FSU beats Georgia. But as others have mentioned, we won’t see the real Georgia or FSU because so many players will opt out.

And for fun, what if FSU beats Georgia and Bama beats Texas in the NC? Then Florida st is for sure declaring themselves national champs. And it won’t be a joke like when UCF did it.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 12-04-2023 at 12:13 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2023, 03:48 PM   #392
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Take FSU +12 easily. Chip on their shoulder and everything etc... It's a downgrade for Georgia, will they care?

Too early to make bets on Bowl games. You need to see who decides to play.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 04:03 PM   #393
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Too early to make bets on Bowl games. You need to see who decides to play.
It's called gambling for a reason

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2023, 04:13 PM   #394
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
It's called gambling for a reason
Fair point. I at least like to know what I am betting on vs. buying lottery tickets.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 11:24 AM   #395
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...dent-athletes/

SEC/Big10 Superleague incoming.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 11:46 AM   #396
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't wait until there are no education requirements to play in this Big SEC league, other than "Please write your name, and what is 2+2?".
Old 12-05-2023, 12:01 PM   #397
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Are you under the impression there are currently requirements beyond exactly that?
Old 12-05-2023, 12:06 PM   #398
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well for now they at least need someone to do their communications and sports management assignments for them. Once they are outside the NCAA purview it'll be a free for all.
Old 12-05-2023, 05:44 PM   #399
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL
https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ida-state-snub
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 12:24 PM   #400
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Boston College just played at Fenway, Rutgers playing at Yankee Stadium. Gotta love bowl games outside of the sunbelt.