Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2010, 10:58 PM   #21
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
When can Howse join the Heat, after new season?
After his next junior season finishes.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:51 PM   #22
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
When can Howse join the Heat, after new season?
He'll be with the team for the 2011-2012 season. Can't wait to see him paired up with a couple of good playmakers like Wahl or Nemisz.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:35 AM   #23
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

His writing reflects the fact that he is a Vancouver writer covering the 'workings' of an AHL team in their offseason.
3 months away from playing again.
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:44 AM   #24
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Next up, the Winnipeg Sun writes "Moose fans at the mercy of the parent Vancouver Canucks".

B.F.D.
I am under the impression that the operators of the AHL team in Winnipeg has more input into decisions then the Abbotsford team and that is why the Canucks' farm team usually has a bunch of vets and has a focus on winning as well as development.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:14 PM   #25
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This entire same argument happened while they were in the QC, because Chicago did the same thing as Winnipeg as far as paying some vets to have a winning AHL team rather than just worrying about the big club. Its understandable, and as a baseball fan it would be unheard of for a minor league team to bring in some has-beens to help. That said, fans (here at least) don't get excited about a team that loses all the time, so we didn't have the attendance, so they moved the team... So there's also some argument for putting a little effort towards a winning AHL team.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #26
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like in everything else, balance is important.

I believe player development benefits from having a winning team. Players get playoff experience, they get used to being the favourite, to high expectations from the crowd and press and in general they get used to winning. Because it doesn't really matter how good you are if the other guy wins. Winning breeds winners.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #27
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
This entire same argument happened while they were in the QC, because Chicago did the same thing as Winnipeg as far as paying some vets to have a winning AHL team rather than just worrying about the big club. Its understandable, and as a baseball fan it would be unheard of for a minor league team to bring in some has-beens to help. That said, fans (here at least) don't get excited about a team that loses all the time, so we didn't have the attendance, so they moved the team... So there's also some argument for putting a little effort towards a winning AHL team.
Last time I checked the AHL Heat, made the playoffs and they won the first round.

Sounds like winning is important. Remember this was a young team in the playoffs as lots of the experienced players were hurt.

Folks are to focused on the career minor leaguers. The Flames have solid prospects that will be joining the Heat (Nemisz, Wahl, Brodie, Cameron (guy scored 50+ goals last season in WHL), Bouma). Plus the Heat's defense is a more experienced core (i.e. Seabrooke, Negrin, Baldwin....)

Watching Breen alone would be interesting.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:40 PM   #28
Beerfest
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Last time I checked the AHL Heat, made the playoffs and they won the first round.

Sounds like winning is important. Remember this was a young team in the playoffs as lots of the experienced players were hurt.

Folks are to focused on the career minor leaguers. The Flames have solid prospects that will be joining the Heat (Nemisz, Wahl, Brodie, Cameron (guy scored 50+ goals last season in WHL), Bouma). Plus the Heat's defense is a more experienced core (i.e. Seabrooke, Negrin, Baldwin....)

Watching Breen alone would be interesting.
Cameron played for the Barrie Colts of the OHL.
He led the CHL in goals during the 2009/2010 regular season with 53 goals in 62 games.

Last edited by Beerfest; 07-28-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Beerfest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beerfest For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #29
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

A team like Atlanta who want to have an AHL team on the cheap, will like the Chicago deal where Chicago is responsible for many of the contracts. Calgary is willing to spend more money by supplying almost all the players, and so has more control but not as much playoff success.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #30
Salisbury
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I thought it was a badly written.

Article.

With a Vancouver bias.

And a dislike for Calgary, and the Flames organisation.

After all, its the Sun!

But wait!

There is no more.
Salisbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:18 AM   #31
BruinsFan19
Draft Pick

I heard the Heat's season ticket renewals are around 40-50%. Anyone know the actual numbers?
BruinsFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #32
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsFan19 View Post
I heard the Heat's season ticket renewals are around 40-50%. Anyone know the actual numbers?
If that's true it's too bad. I am looking at a 10 or 20 game pack. Can't justify buying a full season ticket package because of my work schedule (shift work).
Zulu29 is online now   Reply With Quote