Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2010, 02:00 PM   #21
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
This article isn't chuckle worthy.

Edit: and baseball sucks.
This article definitely had me laughing.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/sou...-by-soc,17625/
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:13 PM   #22
JimmytheT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is my favorite ONN sports clip:

JimmytheT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JimmytheT For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2010, 11:19 PM   #23
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
SNL used to be hilarious back in its glory years.
Did the Glory years for SNL just happen to occur while you were between the ages of 12-18.

My SNL theory is that when you first start watching you think fart jokes are funny. Therefore whenever you first start watching SNL that is when the Glory years begin. As you grow older and get tired of Fart jokes and the cast changes it stops being funny and the glory years are over.

Then at some point in yourlife you decide immature humour is funny again then SNL becomes funny again. I think it has been hilarious lately and suspect my glory years for SNL happend years after your glory years for SNL did.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:46 AM   #24
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I consider SNL to be decent up until Weekend Update. Every skit after that tends to be more crude and less funny. They need to cut half an hour off of the end and it'd be better overall.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:23 AM   #25
FlamingLonghorn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Really?

To me, it's gone the way of SNL. There was a time and a place, but it was long ago and somewhere else.

To me, "skit-TV" died with SCTV, In Living Color and Mad TV. The Onion gets points for trying very hard and sometimes they come up with a good one, but for the most part it's all rather predictable and drab.

My opinion, of course.
Mad TV funny? There's about 1000 skit shows I would rank above that crap television show including The State, Kids in the Hall, Stella, etc... Mad TV might be the worst show in existence.
FlamingLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:50 AM   #26
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowa View Post
Mad TV funny? There's about 1000 skit shows I would rank above that crap television show including The State, Kids in the Hall, Stella, etc... Mad TV might be the worst show in existence.
I meant Bizarre. I've never seen an episode of MadTV ever. I thought I had forgotten to mention Bizarre, but then later figured out that I screwed up with theMadTV thing. Both shows feature red headed dudes, and I got them mixed up.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:53 AM   #27
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Did the Glory years for SNL just happen to occur while you were between the ages of 12-18.

My SNL theory is that when you first start watching you think fart jokes are funny. Therefore whenever you first start watching SNL that is when the Glory years begin. As you grow older and get tired of Fart jokes and the cast changes it stops being funny and the glory years are over.

Then at some point in yourlife you decide immature humour is funny again then SNL becomes funny again. I think it has been hilarious lately and suspect my glory years for SNL happend years after your glory years for SNL did.
When I say "glory years of SNL," I'm talking like 25 years ago, when it was guys like Steve Martin, Chevy Chase and Bill Murray. None of that ######ed crap they've been spewing since the 90s.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:36 AM   #28
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

I definitely think it ebbs and flows. I liked SNL from 92-95 then it became unwatchable and got good again from 00-03 and again became unwatchable. Now in the youtube age we don't have to sit through 1.5 hours of crap every week just to find that one nugget.
yads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:44 AM   #29
Weiser Wonder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
The Onion isn't funny.
If the Onion isn't funny, what is?
Old 07-22-2010, 09:06 PM   #30
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser Wonder View Post
Snotboy.

Snotboy is funnier than anything I've ever read on The Onion.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:35 PM   #31
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
When I say "glory years of SNL," I'm talking like 25 years ago, when it was guys like Steve Martin, Chevy Chase and Bill Murray. None of that ######ed crap they've been spewing since the 90s.
Have you ever sat down and watched an entire show, yet alone an entire season, of SNL from 25 years ago?

Maybe, but I'm guessing not, and that your memories of that era, like most people's, come from the clips that get re-played.

Every era of SNL is pretty damn funny if only experienced through "best of" packages.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2010, 01:20 AM   #32
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser Wonder View Post
xkcd
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:55 AM   #33
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Have you ever sat down and watched an entire show, yet alone an entire season, of SNL from 25 years ago?

Maybe, but I'm guessing not, and that your memories of that era, like most people's, come from the clips that get re-played.

Every era of SNL is pretty damn funny if only experienced through "best of" packages.
I was alive back then. I watched the shows live on television. Why would you assume that I was some jackass with a boxset and a YouTube account? I haven't watched any "best of" clips, I'm just going off of my own memories of actually watching the show.

Last edited by FanIn80; 07-23-2010 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #34
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Really?

To me, it's gone the way of SNL. There was a time and a place, but it was long ago and somewhere else.

To me, "skit-TV" died with SCTV, In Living Color and Mad TV. The Onion gets points for trying very hard and sometimes they come up with a good one, but for the most part it's all rather predictable and drab.

My opinion, of course.
MadTV sucked so bad.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:44 PM   #35
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
MadTV sucked so bad.
I remember the first one or two seasons being hilarious, and after that it had some really great skits that got popular online (Kenny Rogers Jackass) but yeah, it's terrible. Not funny at all.

I wonder if Bobby Lee is capable of not playing a zany asian character.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:37 PM   #36
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
MadTV sucked so bad.
Yeah. I need to edit that post. Like I said a couple of times, I said Mad TV but I was thinking of Bizarre.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:40 PM   #37
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was alive back then. I watched the shows live on television. Why would you assume that I was some jackass with a boxset and a YouTube account? I haven't watched any "best of" clips, I'm just going off of my own memories of actually watching the show.
So anyone who has simply watched best of clips over the years is a jackass?

I didn't assume anything (I allowed you might have watched them live) but guessed that you didn't as the Bill Murray era was ~1977. If you figure a person would have to be at least 15 or so at the time to watch a late night show regularly, regular viewers of SNL back then would have to be at least 48 today. So I then figured that the chances that you were a 48 year old rabid tech enthusiast who frequents message boards with a LOLcats avatar and was a person who happened to watch SNL regularly in 1977 were relatively low.

Having said that, if you did watch it in 1977 and haven't watched any best of collections since, I'm guessing (ooh, that again!) your memory is a little fuzzy.

Last edited by Mike F; 07-24-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2010, 09:59 PM   #38
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Why the need to guess at all? How about you just say that you didn't think it was funny and leave it at that? There's really no need to worry about whether or not I'm qualified to have my own opinion on the matter.

I have no clue about the origins of my avatar. I shamelessly stole it from someone else on another board. Also, my memory is rather intact. I'm old, but I'm not that old.