Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2009, 09:31 AM   #21
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luloo View Post
Is the Xtreme worth it? Is it THAT much faster?
Double the download speed, so for some that's worth it.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #22
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does Telus even offer 15 down 1 up? I was thinking more along the lines of 6 down speeds.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #23
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
Does Telus even offer 15 down 1 up? I was thinking more along the lines of 6 down speeds.
Yes they do, in selected areas.

Its their turbo service.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:57 AM   #24
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
Yes they do, in selected areas.

Its their turbo service.
I believe something like 80% of the Calgary market qualifies for Turbo, from what I've read over at dslreports.com
Old 11-18-2009, 01:30 PM   #25
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
How much are you paying that Telus is more expensive than Shaw?
I was wondering this, too. I pay $19.99 a month for Telus and it easily rivals Shaw's basic service.

I wouldn't switch because Shaw is a horrible, horrible company, but that's just me.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #26
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I was wondering this, too. I pay $19.99 a month for Telus and it easily rivals Shaw's basic service.

I wouldn't switch because Shaw is a horrible, horrible company, but that's just me.
Shaw has a deal on now where you can get their "Extreme" package for $19.95 for one whole year.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:35 PM   #27
Mayer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Shaw has a deal on now where you can get their "Extreme" package for $19.95 for one whole year.
I'm not sure exactly how much we were paying because I don't handle the bills, but I believe with Telus we payed $90/month. That included internet, phone, everything.

With Shaw we get 2 months free, the next 10 months at $19.99 and then after that it goes to the normal pricing which is $55 or $60 a month. Again, thats phone, internet and whatever else is included in that.

Does that sound right? Granted it was explained to me while I was watching a game so I might have not been paying attention fully.

Maybe Telus would have matched. Oh well. We have had Shaw in the past and were happy with it. We can't for the life of us remember why we switched in the first place .

And for the router talk, so if I buy a router that has "N" capability, it will also have "G" capability and run fine with my computers?

I am beginning to question the moral character of those who cheer for Vancouver.
Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #28
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yes, wireless N routers are backwards compatiblewith G.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #29
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Telus phones me every 4-5 months or so trying to get me back, Answers always the same. "sure if you let me DL 100 gigs a month without extra charging me i'll switch" they always decline.

Truth is I wouldn't change anyway, I can count on one hand how many times the service has gone down, It's way faster and they never say a thing about downloading big files like bluray movies. (30 gigs a pop)

BTW, I have a linksys wireless N it it's works awesome with shaw. plug and play.

Last edited by T@T; 11-18-2009 at 03:07 PM.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #30
Double_Dion
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayer View Post
I'm not sure exactly how much we were paying because I don't handle the bills, but I believe with Telus we payed $90/month. That included internet, phone, everything.

With Shaw we get 2 months free, the next 10 months at $19.99 and then after that it goes to the normal pricing which is $55 or $60 a month. Again, thats phone, internet and whatever else is included in that.

Does that sound right? Granted it was explained to me while I was watching a game so I might have not been paying attention fully.

Maybe Telus would have matched. Oh well. We have had Shaw in the past and were happy with it. We can't for the life of us remember why we switched in the first place .

And for the router talk, so if I buy a router that has "N" capability, it will also have "G" capability and run fine with my computers?

$60 per month is going to be for internet ONLY. Internet and digital cable will be around $110 per month.

As for the router, a quick search on bestbuy.ca and I came up with this:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...00&catid=21119

$60 and it will do everything you need. Don't bother spending extra money on a wireless N. Your computers probably don't have it anyways. They only come with newer, top end models.
But yes wireless G computer will work with wireless N router.
Double_Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #31
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
802.11g

802.11g supports bandwidth up to 54 Mbps, and it uses the 2.4 Ghz frequency for greater range.

• Pros of 802.11g - fast maximum speed; signal range is good and not easily obstructed
  • Cons of 802.11g - costs more than 802.11b; appliances may interfere on the unregulated signal frequency
Interesting ... I am under the impression my wireless is n, but it always cuts out when the microwave is turned on. Does this mean I'm actually running on g?
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #32
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wireless n routers have support for G, so you would have to disable the G compatibility
Old 11-18-2009, 03:31 PM   #33
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am happy with Shaw - been with them for internet for a few years now.

I have slowly been ridding myself of Telus and Telus Mobility and I have finally cut the cord completely. I now have my phone, internet, and TV with shaw.

It isn't that I'm overly pro-Shaw or anti-Telus, I just find that Shaw does everything that I need it to do at a good price. And whenever I have had to deal with Telus on the phone it has been a struggle, and Shaw just seems to get things done. No fuss.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #34
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I use Shaw for everything (Phone, TV, Internet). No complaints here, I did have a few issues pop-up when I moved and the tech support people messed up my appointment to have them fixed but they rushed someone out when they realized their mistake and credited me with missed time (lower bill) so no worries. I love having the bills bundled and the download speed is terrific.

I once had a long distance carrier call me up trying to get me to use their service and they asked me what kind of LD deal I had and I told them I was with Shaw and they apolagised for wasting my time since they just couldn't compete with that... I thought it was funny.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #35
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luloo View Post
Is the Xtreme worth it? Is it THAT much faster?
Yes, yes and yes. There is a HUGE speed increase when you switch over to Xtreme. When I download, I normally sit between 1.5-3 megabytes a second.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:02 PM   #36
Lithium
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
Yes, yes and yes. There is a HUGE speed increase when you switch over to Xtreme. When I download, I normally sit between 1.5-3 megabytes a second.
Doesn't Extreme cap out at 1.5MB/sec? That's the fastest I've ever got on mine.
Lithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #37
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
Wireless n routers have support for G, so you would have to disable the G compatibility
More accurately, 802.11n can operate in the 2.4ghz or 5ghz bands. You want a dual band router that is capable of operating in the 5ghz band. Even if you turn off G support, if the router only operates on the 2.4ghz band and you are having interference problems, they will continue to plague the N devices.

That's the nice thing about building an all N setup - you can turn off 2.4, and get above all the phones, microwaves, baby monitors, and countless G networks around your home.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:49 PM   #38
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

One thing, if you end up going with Shaw -- buy the modem. It's cheap and you get more off your bill. It ends up paying for itself within 6 months. It also comes with a 5 year warranty. If it cans out or needs to be worked on, they will just switch it out.

FYI: I've been on shaw since the Wave came out and I have had no problems with them. With my recent modem (7 yrs old) I get Shaw Extreme and have had to reset it maybe twice since owning it. If you tend to download alot, then Shaw Extreme is the only way to go.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:52 PM   #39
Mayer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_Dion View Post
$60 per month is going to be for internet ONLY. Internet and digital cable will be around $110 per month.
Sorry, I should have clarified. We are only using Shaw for Internet and phone. I use Bell for TV.

I am beginning to question the moral character of those who cheer for Vancouver.
Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #40
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Last week we were paying $70 for phone and internet per month with Telus. Shaw called in and offered $55/month + some freebies. So I told them I'd call them back. I called Telus to tell them what Shaw was offering me. Telus then offered me $53/month + freebies.

I love negotiating