Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2009, 05:01 PM   #21
Jedi Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Windows Media Player has a uPNP server that you can enable, so you should be good there.

Also ditto on the wired connection... gigabit ethernet if possible.
Jedi Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:42 PM   #22
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm, another hurdle if wireless is not recommended. No way for me to run cable from my basement to the top floor. I have a gigabit network but the one solution I found for streaming video wirelessley is only wireless G. Mind you, my g/f's laptop has been an option. I has a gigabit wireless adapter as well as an HDMI port.

I figured a good way to stream video upstairs would be with this device:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=438

but like I mentioned, it is wireless G. Yet it does say it can stream HD content.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 08-14-2009 at 05:45 PM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:43 PM   #23
Jedi Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Actually, wireless-G is probably capable of streaming most HD sources (so long as you aren't playing multiple clients at once). My preference for wired is more that it is just more reliable overall. Just make sure you have a really good router.
Jedi Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:04 PM   #24
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Ninja View Post
Actually, wireless-G is probably capable of streaming most HD sources (so long as you aren't playing multiple clients at once). My preference for wired is more that it is just more reliable overall. Just make sure you have a really good router.
It streams just fine, but fast forward/rewinding can be painful in my experience. It's really apparent with HD videos, for example, whether they are streaming or coming off the local drive on my AppleTV. With SD, its fine either way.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:37 PM   #25
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I prefer wired connections as well. Just circumstance are forcing me into it. Hopefully I'll be in a newer home one day that's wired for each room but ya never know, I may wind up in a house that isn't and be in the same position.

Router is solid, bought a D-Link Gamer Lounge a while back when I started to think this up. Should be up to the job. The face that the media lounge is also D-Link may bode well.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 08-14-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:55 PM   #26
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Holy crap, what a forum! Tons of info in there, thanks
It's good, but the guy who runs it is a dink...watch out for him. Very protective as to what you can say over there and he will ban you if he's in the mood that day.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:08 PM   #27
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another good forum is AVScience.
Here's their Home Theater computer section.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26/
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:11 PM   #28
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilKiller View Post
It's good, but the guy who runs it is a dink...watch out for him. Very protective as to what you can say over there and he will ban you if he's in the mood that day.
Yeah, be very careful talking about illegal FTA and providing commercial links with prices in the wrong section. It's fine to call Bell TV lying liars though.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:39 PM   #29
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I know who you guys are talking about and I've been on the board for all of a day. Seems a tad gruff.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #30
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Ninja View Post
How difficult is it to set up the firewire configuration, software wise? Do you have to install additional plug-ins, drivers, etc, or is it all built-in to Sage?
Sage provides network encoding support, which supports firewire video/audio streams. You DO need a driver, just like anything you plug into a firewire/usb port. I've got it and can send it to you if you want.

I spent some time tweaking the Sage config for smooth playback and stable channel changing via firewire but there are some threads with tons of info on doing that on the sage forums. I'm happy to share my config if someone else is setting this up with a motorola box.

Sage is only required for the PVR functionality; recording TV shows like a digital VCR only needs the driver and some free software, like Cap D-VHS.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote