Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2009, 11:27 PM   #21
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I've never had a problem with the Northest Bottle Depot in Falconridge. They do all the sorting and counting, I help them take off the bottle caps that have been left on.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:37 AM   #22
johnnyluv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
F them, I have been ripped off twice from that one.

First time I thought it was a mistake, second time I brought an exact amount and was short changed again. This was a few years ago.

Ever since, I have been going to the Fishcreek bottle depot (just off Banister Road, close to Totem) and they are quick, efficient and not stealing from me.
Bugger. I've been two or three times, and nothing untoward happened. I guess once is enough, though, let alone twice.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:29 AM   #23
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Uptown on 10th is pretty solid...use t6hem both for work stuff and for personal...if nothing else the 'floor show' can be pretty fun sometimes.
Julio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:25 AM   #24
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My wife and I went to the one on 10th on a Saturday as it opened. Lined up with all the hobos, and we got offered free soup from (I guess) some shelter folks. The wife isn't keen to do that all again.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:14 AM   #25
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tsuu Tina is the best. By far the hottest women working there. This one toothless chick just gets me going every single time.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2009, 12:08 PM   #26
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I've never been to the 37th street one but a friend of mine actively hates the people there. Like, he actually gets angry and goes off on a tangent if you even bring that place up.
He figured he was getting ripped off so the next time he took his bottles in, he actually dumped them out in his year and counted them. When he took them in, the guy short changed him 10 bucks. He got pissed and raised hell, and they banned him from their establishment (as though he would ever go back after getting ripped off).
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:00 PM   #27
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it really worth it to take bottles back? By the time you pay for ags to get to the depot and your time you lose like $50 to $10 back it bottles.

I subscribe to the bumbox program. You leave your bottles and cans next to a garbage can. They will disappear within a day at no cost to you. Far more efficient then this new bluebox program.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2009, 04:41 PM   #28
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Is it really worth it to take bottles back? By the time you pay for ags to get to the depot and your time you lose like $50 to $10 back it bottles.

I subscribe to the bumbox program. You leave your bottles and cans next to a garbage can. They will disappear within a day at no cost to you. Far more efficient then this new bluebox program.
I'm not a fan of this because then said bums tend to congregate around your trash, esp if it is in an area out of the public eye...we have to do a strict 'no leaving out bottles' policy in our condo because of this...after people generally figured out we didn't leave anything out the amt of break ins in our parking lot dropped quite a bit.
Julio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #29
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

There are 2 in the SE we go to. New one is 126 ave at 52 street (Behind Home Depot.) And the other is just off 114 ave close to Douglasglen Bull and Finch.

Both of them have touch screen displays, so as the guy counts off 100 cans he punches it in. I also find that if you make it look like you are counting along with him (start by mouthing the numbers the first few times) they won't rip you off as much.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:37 PM   #30
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Huh, I never even thought about them ripping me off. If I can get 10 or 15 bucks back, whatever. I only go to places where they do the work.

Funny enough, when my second son was born, my wife went into labour just as I was pulling into the bottle depot. I had three or four green garbage bags worth, and I just called over one of the hobos and told him to load up so I could get home... he was so happy. It was like Christmas...
Old 03-22-2009, 10:43 PM   #31
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwo_threefour View Post
Funny enough, when my second son was born, my wife went into labour just as I was pulling into the bottle depot. I had three or four green garbage bags worth, and I just called over one of the hobos and told him to load up so I could get home... he was so happy. It was like Christmas...

Heh heh. I loaded up a whole summer's worth of 12 pack cases into my truck one fine August day and headed to the depot on 10th and 6th. I got there and the lineup was out the door and into the parking lot. So I did what you did, summoned the hobos. There were four of them sitting on a log (I don't know why there was a log in a downtown alley). They swarmed my truck like stink on an Edmontonian. Picked 'er clean in less than 15 seconds.
I gave myself a pat on the back for that act of charity.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #32
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any good (reasonably close) alternatives to the one on 37th/Richmond? Tired of being screwed over by them like so many others in this thread.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #33
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I go to Crowfoot as well. No idea how accurate they are, but I like being able to dump out 3-4 orange trash bags and they do all the work.
Byrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #34
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Jeez these bumps get me all the time.

I was going to reccommend the VRRI since the profits got to charity then I see that I already commented, and I go "When did I do that?" Then I look at the date. Oh three years ago.

I really have to learn to look at the date before I read through a thread.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #35
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrns View Post
I go to Crowfoot as well. No idea how accurate they are, but I like being able to dump out 3-4 orange trash bags and they do all the work.
Is there any bottle depot that still makes you sort your own?

Seems to me that belongs in the "Calgary nostalgia" thread; as I haven't seen that in quite a while.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #36
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I highly recommend the Forest Lawn Bottle Depot on 52nd, across from Zellers.

Especially if you're looking for an adventure.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #37
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Is there any bottle depot that still makes you sort your own?
I never realized there ever was.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #38
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Happy Can Bottle Depot, just a bit North of Memorial and a bit East of Deerfoot. I've never stood in line.

I save up and routinely get $80-$90 per trip which makes it worth while.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #39
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Living close to downtown, I actually leave my bottles in the alley for the bottle pickers. They are usually gone within 30 minutes.

I get to avoid the bottle depots, and someone who could use that money more than myself gets the money. Almost everyone in my condo building does the same actually.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #40
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Living close to downtown, I actually leave my bottles in the alley for the bottle pickers. They are usually gone within 30 minutes.

I get to avoid the bottle depots, and someone who could use that money more than myself gets the money. Almost everyone in my condo building does the same actually.
Oh yeah? What building is that, and what time do you leave your bottles out? I'm...asking for a friend.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote