Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2008, 09:26 PM   #21
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I hacked my iTouch. I don't even use it for playing music anymore, it's now a little tiny iMac that i carry around with me.

did u put on 1.1.3? Fake GPS/giggling icons can amuse me for hours.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:27 PM   #22
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

My problem has been resolved. I took the Touch in to an authorised Apple service provider and all the guy had to do was plug it into his computer and it got out of recovery mode.

Unfortunately since it was restored all of my music was lost, which included $100+ worth of iTunes downloads which are all on my desktop in Calgary on the other side of the world. I have to wait half a year before I will have the chance to go back and reload all that stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I hacked my iTouch. I don't even use it for playing music anymore, it's now a little tiny iMac that i carry around with me.

Sweet, how do I do that?
Old 02-01-2008, 10:53 PM   #23
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
Unfortunately since it was restored all of my music was lost, which included $100+ worth of iTunes downloads which are all on my desktop in Calgary on the other side of the world. I have to wait half a year before I will have the chance to go back and reload all that stuff.
Why not get the files sent to you? All you need to do is get a computer with itunes and authorize your apple account on it and you can load them onto your ipod again. Just remember to de-authorize, or you will lose one of the 5 computers you can have the stuff on.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:37 AM   #24
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Why not get the files sent to you? All you need to do is get a computer with itunes and authorize your apple account on it and you can load them onto your ipod again. Just remember to de-authorize, or you will lose one of the 5 computers you can have the stuff on.
Wait--so how does this work? Can I download them from iTunes again to my laptop without having to pay again?
Old 02-02-2008, 07:00 AM   #25
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, you would need to get them sent to you from your original computer via email, ftp, MSN file transfer, copy to CD and put in mail, etc. You can then authorize whatever computer you have to play them, and load them onto your ipod
Old 02-02-2008, 07:05 AM   #26
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, unfortunately there is no one on the other end deft enough to accomplish such feats.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:33 AM   #27
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Um, I just discovered I can no longer drag and drop music from iTunes onto my iPod anymore... Help me Rathji!
Old 02-02-2008, 08:54 AM   #28
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am in a rush, slept in and have an appt in 30 mins, but I assume you are trying to drag from your itunes music library onto your ipod when it is listed as a device in itunes? Have you been able to do it before and suddenly can't? Might be something to do with the newest update, I haven't had to do anything with my ipod in the last couple weeks so I imagine apple could have changed something in the update I just downloaded
Old 02-02-2008, 11:31 AM   #29
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

OK, I turned off autosyncing, but it still won't let me drag and drop from the "purchased" folder in itunes to her ipod.

Plan B is to burn a CD from itunes, but I'm wondering what format it will burn to?? I noticed that itunes converts your music to mp4, and I don't believe your average CD player can play that format.

Anyone have any recommendations? Can I burn a CD in itunes (I noticed there is a feature there to burn CD's) but make sure it will play in a cheap costa rican ghetto blaster?
Tron_fdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:43 PM   #30
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can burn a cd from itunes, and it will play in any CD player that will play burned CD's. Some brand name CD players will not play burned CD's since the companies who make them have a stake in the recording industry. I have not come across one in a few years though.

edit: If I get a few mins and I can find my sister-in-law's ipod I will test transferring with the latest update.

Last edited by Rathji; 02-02-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:02 PM   #31
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Just figured it out I think. I set the output in the edit-pref-advanced-burning to "audio CD". Seems to work.

At least let's hope it does!!
Tron_fdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:47 PM   #32
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post

Sweet, how do I do that?
got to downgrade your ipod to 1.1.1, go to jailbreakme.com on the ipod to get a jailbroken 1.1.1 ipod. using the new installer program on your ipod, install BSD systems then go to ijailbreak.com and follow the instructions there to get a jailbroken 1.1.3. Then just use the installer to add whatever 3rd party apps that you want.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:11 AM   #33
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Latest problem with my iPod Touch:

When I drag-and-drop audio podcasts from iTunes to my Touch they don't show up under the 'Podcasts' heading. They don't show up anywhere in fact. Video podcasts do show up however, under 'Video' as you would expect.

I can get my audio podcasts to show up if I drag them into the playlist. But it is annoying that they don't show up under 'Podcasts', and that when I select 'Podcasts' it tells me I don't have any. Lies!

An interesting note is that they used to show up under 'Podcasts' until I downloaded 1.1.3 which buggered up my iPod (see above) and I had to take it into Apple Man to fix. Since then, my podcasts aren't showing up under 'Podcasts'. At least I can get them to play, but it bugs me when things don't work the way they should, especially when they used to.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:20 PM   #34
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm considering an iTouch for the wife. All she ever uses the computer for is email/maps and surfing. We have a wireless network at home anyway for my laptop.

Perhaps an itouch would be handier for her than trudging to the office in our basement with kiddies in tow.

2 questions-
1) does it need to sync, or can she can she put music and our digital photos on it direct from the 'net and our digital camera
2) if so, where the best place to buy one?

thanks
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:20 PM   #35
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend it like Bourgeois View Post
I'm considering an iTouch for the wife. All she ever uses the computer for is email/maps and surfing. We have a wireless network at home anyway for my laptop.

Perhaps an itouch would be handier for her than trudging to the office in our basement with kiddies in tow.

2 questions-
1) does it need to sync, or can she can she put music and our digital photos on it direct from the 'net and our digital camera
2) if so, where the best place to buy one?

thanks
If you jailbreak your ipod, you can wireless sync using isync (i think it's only osx based) and it on;y syncs music.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/software/...+fi-329272.php

Would still need a computer somewhere to do all the organizing and stuff.

Screen is also fairly small, so i think sticking to a laptop might be more ideal.

If your still interested in picking one up, i think apple's refurbished store has some of the lower capacity ones for cheaper.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:46 PM   #36
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

ASUS | Eee PC

Cheap laptop that runs about 400 bucks, pretty small and is powerful enough to do most non gaming applications.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:10 AM   #37
algernon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Help! I'm headin' on vacation in about 7 hours, and my iPod is 'frozen' It is staying lit up, and none of the buttons seem to do anything at all. I sent an e-mail to help@apple, but i'm betting that CP is faster...
thanks,
alg

EDIT: it's a brand new 160gb classic

Last edited by algernon; 02-24-2008 at 11:12 AM.
algernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #38
bobrick
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by algernon View Post
Help! I'm headin' on vacation in about 7 hours, and my iPod is 'frozen' It is staying lit up, and none of the buttons seem to do anything at all. I sent an e-mail to help@apple, but i'm betting that CP is faster...
thanks,
alg

EDIT: it's a brand new 160gb classic
Have you tried to reset, instructions here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61705

bobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:29 AM   #39
algernon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrick View Post
Have you tried to reset, instructions here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61705
You sir, are truly my Hero. Thank You.Thank You.Thank You.Thank You.Thank You.Thank You.Thank You.Thank You.Thank You.Thank You.Thank You.Thank You.Thank You.
alg

Oh yeah, CP is waaaaaaay faster.

Last edited by algernon; 02-24-2008 at 11:34 AM.
algernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:23 PM   #40
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can have your songs you buy from itunes on 5 computers, burnt to cd 7 times ( I think) and on unlimited ipods.