Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2024, 03:26 PM   #21
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Lidstrom. No n. It has an umlaut but I can't make one happen.
The extra N is for Norris.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
KPJ
Old 04-10-2024, 03:35 PM   #22
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The extra N is for Norris.
So officially there's an extra 7 Ns in his name. Got it.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM   #23
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfire View Post
So officially there's an extra 7 Ns in his name. Got it.
Lnindnsntnrnonm
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 04:14 PM   #24
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only part of the game I would take McDavid over Crosby in would be the power play.
McDavid will probably top Crosby's career point totals when all is said and done, but Crosby, like Yzerman, adjusted his style of play to be more of a complete player, and sacrificed some offense. I don't think McDavid will ever make that adjustment.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 04:28 PM   #25
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
The only part of the game I would take McDavid over Crosby in would be the power play.
McDavid will probably top Crosby's career point totals when all is said and done, but Crosby, like Yzerman, adjusted his style of play to be more of a complete player, and sacrificed some offense. I don't think McDavid will ever make that adjustment.

I suspect as much as anyone would hate to admit it, McDavid has become better in his own zone. Even in this poll he finished 4th for Most Complete Player (although well behind Crosby) and 2nd for Most Difficult Player to Face In Their Own End (Insert joke about McDavid's head up his ass here).
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 04:42 PM   #26
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Also interesting to think about where Crosby ranks all time?

Gretzky, Mario, Orr ahead of him.

Is he 4? 5?
Feels like he's possibly a top 5 forward of all time, not sure about to 10 player of all time though. That competition gets stiff after the obvious ones you listed. And even among the forwards, there would be some interesting lobbying and counterpoints.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 07:09 PM   #27
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
The most complete player says Backlund is one of the hardest guys in the league to play against. That’ll do.
Did he really say that? That's funny because I remember very early in his career, he was asked which defenceman was the hardest to play against, and he said Regehr -- and it was so early in his career that he had only played one or two games against the Flames at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Most surprising result is T-Mobile Arena being voted 6th in best ice.
It's been top-5 every year since they joined the league (they bounced the Saddledome out of the top 5).

It has always been said the worst thing for maintaining good ice is high humidity, so it makes sense the desert would be good for making ice (although Arizona was voted some of the worst ice the one year that was asked).
Old 04-10-2024, 07:16 PM   #28
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Crosby most complete player! In other news, Water...still Wet!"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 07:20 PM   #29
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Lidstrom is up there. The short list is probably him, Bourque, Potvin. Makar has a shot.
#### Ray Bourque. He hitched his wagon to Tampa Bay in 2004 giving them a pep talk before game 7. Again #### Ray Bourque.
Old 04-11-2024, 07:52 AM   #30
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
I'd take Crosby as the one game player too. His desire to win is unbeatable. McBaby wants to be given the win, Crosby wants to be the winner.
Isn't the questions dumb? If you want a player to win one game why on earth would you not pick the most complete player in the league? Sure, McDufus might score 3-4 points to Crosby's 2 in said game, but he won't give up 4-5 ten bell chances and blow the zone early 9/10 times.

It's crazy how little people are talking about Crosby this season considering at 36 he's 19th in scoring with 40G and 86P on a team that is hardly a juggernaut.
Old 04-11-2024, 07:55 AM   #31
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Players are sometimes dumb in these polls. Player you’d most want to have in one game for a win? Who has won more “must win games” - Crosby or McDavid? I’d say the one with the rings.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 11:18 AM   #32
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Isn't the questions dumb? If you want a player to win one game why on earth would you not pick the most complete player in the league? Sure, McDufus might score 3-4 points to Crosby's 2 in said game, but he won't give up 4-5 ten bell chances and blow the zone early 9/10 times.

It's crazy how little people are talking about Crosby this season considering at 36 he's 19th in scoring with 40G and 86P on a team that is hardly a juggernaut.
Not only the point totals either; I was looking up his faceoff stats and he has hundreds more faceoffs taken than the next highest this season and he has almost 200 more faceoffs than the next closest (Robert Thomas) and far better win percentage. Complete player.

bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 04:26 PM   #33
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hadn't been paying much attention to the Penguins whatsoever this year, but at the Kipper jersey retirement game the one thing that stood out to me about that team is among all the 'older' guys they've got, Crosby is still a force to be reckoned with. Even though Jeff Carter ended up with a goal that game, he looked like a shadow of the player he once was. Malkin looked okay; Karlsson too, I suppose. Letang was awful and looked washed up.

But Crosby? I remember at one point on the forecheck he singlehandedly kept three or four Flames players hemmed into their own zone so that the Pens could change on the fly, and he looked dangerous as hell. Like a predator stalking prey; like a school of minnows swimming around a shark.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 08:16 PM   #34
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

1000th assist on the game winner in OT tonight. Also took 10th spot all time in points from Esposito. Ovi can have the goals, Sid is the man.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 08:24 PM   #35
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just my opinion…

Orr
Howe
Gretzky
Lemieux
Crosby

Orr with 139 pts, as a D. Before Orr, highest points for a D was 46 points.

Last edited by timbit; 04-11-2024 at 08:34 PM.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 08:47 PM   #36
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Just my opinion…

Orr
Howe
Gretzky
Lemieux
Crosby

Orr with 139 pts, as a D. Before Orr, highest points for a D was 46 points.
I put Gretzky a nose ahead of Howe. Both Orr and Gretzky changed how the game was played in significant ways. Howe and Lemieux were the best of their respective generations at playing the game exactly the way it was.

I think Roy belongs in the conversation for the same reason – he changed the game. I'm old enough to remember when kids played pickup games and nobody wanted to be the goalie. Roy not only changed how the position was played, he made it cool.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:37 PM   #37
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
I put Gretzky a nose ahead of Howe. Both Orr and Gretzky changed how the game was played in significant ways. Howe and Lemieux were the best of their respective generations at playing the game exactly the way it was.

I think Roy belongs in the conversation for the same reason – he changed the game. I'm old enough to remember when kids played pickup games and nobody wanted to be the goalie. Roy not only changed how the position was played, he made it cool.
Not disagreeing with you. Just trying to figure out who Roy replaces in the top five I proposed.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:37 PM   #38
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Not disagreeing with you. Just trying to figure out who Roy replaces in the five I proposed.
I think I put him ahead of Crosby, but again, just by a nose.

Some years ago on CP, I made my own list of the 10 most influential players in the history of the game – not the best players, but the ones who changed hockey permanently. Orr, Gretzky, and Roy were all on the list. Some of the others were not the greatest players, but left their mark on the game in other ways – like Lester and Frank Patrick, who invented the blue line and the penalty shot.

Might be interesting to revisit that topic.

Last edited by Jay Random; 04-11-2024 at 09:55 PM.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 09:39 PM   #39
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
I think I put him ahead of Crosby, but again, just by a nose.
Man, it’s tough to pick a top 5.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:41 PM   #40
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

They all have one thing in common.

Multiple cups and they were the principal reasons for it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post: