Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2023, 10:25 AM   #21
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

I feel for those firefighters and their families. I can't imagine having a loved one facing off against that.
Old 08-18-2023, 10:31 AM   #22
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Severe Thunderstorm watch announced, that would be an absolute disaster
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 10:38 AM   #23
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Those photos are ####ing terrifying.
My thoughts exactly. I lived in Kelowna in the very early 90's and this is so terrible.
Old 08-18-2023, 10:59 AM   #24
Knut

Exp:

A bunch of spot fires cropping up all over the place in Kelowna area.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 11:02 AM   #25
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
A bunch of spot fires cropping up all over the place in Kelowna area.
Whereabouts? haven't seen anything on castanet about additional spot fires yet
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 11:08 AM   #26
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
Whereabouts? haven't seen anything on castanet about additional spot fires yet
This account is keeping tabs on it all.

https://twitter.com/Okanaganscan/sta...881438490?s=20

https://twitter.com/user/status/1692582677881438490
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2023, 11:14 AM   #27
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shae Ganum is devoting his show this morning to the wildfires and the impact on people. He’s had several Yellowknife evacuees on. There’s a lot of emotion with some of them in tears. It’ll be on the CHED Audio Vault.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 11:19 AM   #28
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
Severe Thunderstorm watch announced, that would be an absolute disaster
Oh man....talk about throwing Gas on it...

The emergency crews are already stretched thin as it is.

Its sad that we need this thread, but keeping it all in one place makes sense, I hadnt even heard of some of these.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 11:26 AM   #29
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Shae Ganum is devoting his show this morning to the wildfires and the impact on people. He’s had several Yellowknife evacuees on. There’s a lot of emotion with some of them in tears. It’ll be on the CHED Audio Vault.
I have some stressed out Yellowknife Evacuee's at my house right now.

They had to drive through flames on the side of the highway and had to stop periodically for water bombers to douse the road.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2023, 11:34 AM   #30
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was in Kelowna barely a month ago so I've been keeping a closer tab on the situation than I normally would. I stayed up late going through whatever media was popping up and it sucks seeing what is happening out there.

Dang, I feel for Chris and anyone else in an affected region.

If there's anything you guys need help with, please don't hesitate to ask. I don't want to speak for others, but I'm sure many others have a similar sentiment and wouldn't hesitate to help. I don't know what types of delivery disruptions going on right now in those regions. If there are some larger scale programs to coordinate donation of resources and whatnot, it'd be cool if people share that as well.

Hopefully there is a good supply of cloth masks and filtering masks still in the region. I know some of you in that region are extra sensitive to the smoke and it seems like it could get really bad if the wind shifts. Disposable masks are good at blocking, but doesn't really filter against the smoke and I heard the Kelowna region has been extra miserable and smoggy for an extended time due to the Osoyoos fires.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2023, 11:44 AM   #31
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Looks like a new one started up west of Okanagan Falls, has lots of CL water bombers going after it.

https://www.flightradar24.com/ASB201/31a5cfc2
Old 08-18-2023, 11:47 AM   #32
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Pretty shocking how much this grew yesterday. I believe the MacDougall fire was reported Tuesday around dinner time. We were keeping an eye through the BC wildfire app.

Air actually wasn’t too bad and it was pretty clear on the lake yesterday late afternoon. We were kayaking around Fintry. 5 hours later we were packing up and on the road. They had access to Westside road blocked from the North just outside Vernon around midnight
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 11:47 AM   #33
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Airspace around the Kelowna region is closed
https://twitter.com/user/status/1692592119905689922
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 12:09 PM   #34
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My family has left Yellowknife and is safe, but I'm staying for now. We do have plans in case things get really bad and essential services have to pull out.

On the plus side, I get to keep watering my house every day. Two of my neighbours have cedar shake shingles, which I'm not too happy about right now.

Also, the last line of defense that the city is building is pretty impressive. Trying to embed a facebook post below, but I don't think it will work.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fcgr eencorn%2Fposts%2Fpfbid0dVUhXDtMUCEhH1VZAQMDT4Jg3G asqqEAg7Dhhe5bzs7gsAjowqeYYnrK2wDi7ZTpl&show_text= true&width=500" width="500" height="793" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2023, 12:26 PM   #35
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Some of my extended family and friends have left their homes in West Kelowna in advance of evacuation orders. Sounds like things are getting really busy on the roads since everyone has the same idea.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1692601167283642702

This one hurts. After moving to the Okanagan, my family organized some great family reunions there in the mid-to-late 90s. It started something we've been doing regularly all over BC since then. It's just stuff that can be replaced of course, but man...
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2023, 12:27 PM   #36
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
My family has left Yellowknife and is safe, but I'm staying for now. We do have plans in case things get really bad and essential services have to pull out.

On the plus side, I get to keep watering my house every day. Two of my neighbours have cedar shake shingles, which I'm not too happy about right now.

Also, the last line of defense that the city is building is pretty impressive. Trying to embed a facebook post below, but I don't think it will work.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fcgr eencorn%2Fposts%2Fpfbid0dVUhXDtMUCEhH1VZAQMDT4Jg3G asqqEAg7Dhhe5bzs7gsAjowqeYYnrK2wDi7ZTpl&show_text= true&width=500" width="500" height="793" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>
To be honest here. Why are you staying ?

My understanding is that Yellowknife has asked that people not use their water so they have the water pressure available for the city Defense sprinklers.

You are also in a situation where you are getting in the way and perhaps putting first responders at risk.
Old 08-18-2023, 12:34 PM   #37
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just got back from Kelowna on Tuesday. I was in Osoyoos the week before as well. I go there every year around the same time and it is always hit and miss whether there will be fires in the area, but was fortunate this year that we got in and out in between evacuations. We literally arrived in Osoyoos the day after the evacuation alerts were lifted and out of Kelowna days before evacuation alerts started there.

It seems like the whole world is dealing with it this year. Greece and Spain got hit really hard as well, and there are some pretty big fires raging in Brazil as well.
Old 08-18-2023, 12:39 PM   #38
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I just got back from Kelowna on Tuesday. I was in Osoyoos the week before as well. I go there every year around the same time and it is always hit and miss whether there will be fires in the area, but was fortunate this year that we got in and out in between evacuations. We literally arrived in Osoyoos the day after the evacuation alerts were lifted and out of Kelowna days before evacuation alerts started there.

It seems like the whole world is dealing with it this year. Greece and Spain got hit really hard as well, and there are some pretty big fires raging in Brazil as well.
Now we just need a massive volcano eruption as the coup-de-grace...

Maybe get a Tsunami in there for some icing on the cake.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 12:46 PM   #39
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
To be honest here. Why are you staying ?

My understanding is that Yellowknife has asked that people not use their water so they have the water pressure available for the city Defense sprinklers.

You are also in a situation where you are getting in the way and perhaps putting first responders at risk.
Thank your concern for emergency responders. I am one of them. This morning the incident commander asked me to take as a section chief. That is why I am staying. We have our own Evac plan.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 12:48 PM   #40
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
Thank your concern for emergency responders. I am one of them. This morning the incident commander asked me to take as a section chief. That is why I am staying. We have our own Evac plan.
OH got it. Never mind me then. Good luck !
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post: