Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2021, 04:16 PM   #21
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Macfarlane View Post
Sometimes sources don't work out the way you hoped. But you also can't believe everything your read after a blockbuster deal is sealed. So many motivations come into play, and nobody gains from naming names after the fact.

The bottom line for me is I'm not a clickbait Twitter blogger. I pride myself on a long history of unbiased reporting and trying to dig for the truth. My reputation is a voice or reason.

Being part of a network of sites with sources coming through other hubs is new to me, and there will be times I have to trust what's being given to me through the chain.

Regardless of what you believe, I'm here to answer questions as best I can (I can't offer names of sources, etc.) or just take a beating if that's what you want to do. I show up to the Dome after writing controversial pieces for accountability, and I offer to do the same here.

Also, you can read about Tkachuk's reaction here.

https://calgaryhockeynow.com/calgary...hel-nhl-trade/
Thanks for coming here to clarify.

Based on what comes out today it really does feel like the Flames had an attractive offer on the table, but Buffalo just really wanted Tuch/Krebs and what Vegas offered.

Would love to get specifics on what exactly Calgary's offer was - but understand why you probably wouldn't be able to share that either.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:22 PM   #22
Steve Macfarlane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Not sure which way it started but the network sources said it was from the Flames side and he was in what would be one of their offers. Sounded like a couple of choices were presented.
Steve Macfarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Macfarlane For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2021, 05:23 PM   #23
Steve Macfarlane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Thanks for coming here to clarify.

Based on what comes out today it really does feel like the Flames had an attractive offer on the table, but Buffalo just really wanted Tuch/Krebs and what Vegas offered.

Would love to get specifics on what exactly Calgary's offer was - but understand why you probably wouldn't be able to share that either.

Truth is I don't know exactly what the full packages would have been - I only was led to believe they'd have been different based on which of the larger salaries was going the other way.

Only two people that know for sure and likely would never tell are the two GMs now. And they'd be more likely to say nobody was in there.
Old 11-04-2021, 05:29 PM   #24
Steve Macfarlane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by klikitiklik View Post
Any Flames content is appreciated.

Am I wrong or was it you guys that mentioned that Chuck and Money had been given permission to speak to Buffalo? I bit hard on that little tidbit

Speaking of accountability, how does this affect your press credentials with the Flames or is there such a thing? I imagine that this business is cutthroat and vengeful. I imagine that Kevin Weekes will not be getting any tidbits from Tree any time soon

To my knowledge nobody from Hockey Now had mentioned either player had permission to talk to them. I actually didn't hear that anywhere during all this.

In terms of press credentials, I think if the organization felt someone was intentionally being reckless or irresponsible with ill intent, they would consider pulling credentials. But I can't think of a situation during my time where that has happened. And I've been fortunate to have worked with this group for a long time while representing a few different outlets, so I think I've built up trust and reputation that would give me the benefit of the doubt.
Old 11-04-2021, 05:33 PM   #25
klikitiklik
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
To my knowledge nobody from Hockey Now had mentioned either player had permission to talk to them. I actually didn't hear that anywhere during all this.

In terms of press credentials, I think if the organization felt someone was intentionally being reckless or irresponsible with ill intent, they would consider pulling credentials. But I can't think of a situation during my time where that has happened. And I've been fortunate to have worked with this group for a long time while representing a few different outlets, so I think I've built up trust and reputation that would give me the benefit of the doubt.
Thanks for clearing that up and you've earned a lot of respect just by showing up. Takes guts
Old 11-04-2021, 05:34 PM   #26
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Enjoy you coming in to dissect post trade. I find this side of the business fascinating, and in this case, pretty happy with how things turned out
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:46 PM   #27
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This was a funny few days. As a fan since the flames moved here when I was young, and experiencing some success in the early years, it's been a really difficult 25 years as a flames fan. The one thing that has really stood out to me was that during those lean years, at least we had Iggy. He was something the fanbase could get behind. I won't speak for everyone, but for me, Eichel represented that - a guy that, regardless of how poor or mediocre we may be, we could still cheer for a top of the line talent. I realize that is completely ####ed up thinking, but being a Flames fan for this many years has caused some trauma I think.

I am curious however, what is your gut feeling being around the sources and the community over the last 48hrs - were we close? What do you think the package was? Why do you think LV's package was a deal breaker?

I get it if you don't want to answer that, but I think we are all pretty removed from it and really have no clue what took place.
Captain Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:48 PM   #28
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mr. Macfarlane—

Your coverage of the Eichel story was what made me aware of Calgary Hockey Now. Your courage and honesty in opening this thread to discuss what may have gone wrong – that is what just turned me into a subscriber.

Courage and honesty are qualities we don't see nearly often enough in the age of clickbait journalism and Twitter mobs. I salute you, Sir.
Old 11-04-2021, 05:57 PM   #29
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Mr. Macfarlane—

Your coverage of the Eichel story was what made me aware of Calgary Hockey Now. Your courage and honesty in opening this thread to discuss what may have gone wrong – that is what just turned me into a subscriber.

Courage and honesty are qualities we don't see nearly often enough in the age of clickbait journalism and Twitter mobs. I salute you, Sir.

Yep!! I too have subscribed based SOLELY on Steve's input here
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:20 PM   #30
Steve Macfarlane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Mr. Macfarlane—

I hope you used the discount code Flames to get a $10 discount! (If you didn't, I'll find a way to tack on some extra months before renewal).

Also, thank you. You have no idea how much even one subscription means to a new site starting up in a city loaded with great coverage. This model has been really successful in the U.S., but Canada is a special beast. Hope you enjoy the exclusive content. There will be more to come in the near future.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:24 PM   #31
Steve Macfarlane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny'sDaMan View Post
Yep!! I too have subscribed based SOLELY on Steve's input here
Thanks so much. If you do subscribe, make sure you use the code Flames for a discount. You also get access to the Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal included.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:57 PM   #32
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I hope you used the discount code Flames to get a $10 discount! (If you didn't, I'll find a way to tack on some extra months before renewal).
I only subscribed for a month to start with. If the code is still good for renewal, would I be able to use that in December?
Old 11-05-2021, 12:05 AM   #33
Steve Macfarlane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I only subscribed for a month to start with. If the code is still good for renewal, would I be able to use that in December?
It's good for any annual. I'll find out how long it will be active and get back to you. But if you sign up for the year now with that code it should give you the year plus the month you already signed up for - and I'm pretty sure I could add a couple of bonus months on top of that once I get more familiar with the back end management here in the next week or so.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Macfarlane For This Useful Post: