Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2018, 05:54 PM   #21
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty indifferent to the moves made by Calgary today. It was pretty evident that it was a seller's market. But overall I'd say that those price were more quantity over quality save for the McDounagh trade. That was chalk full of great.

Never wanted Stewart on the Flames but it's tough to complain about a waiver pick up. He either works out and it's all profit for the team or he doesn't and there's no real loss.

Intrigued by Shore. But I'm not too knowledgeable on him so we will see. Let's just hope he has better wheels and hands than his brother.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:54 PM   #22
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Today was exactly what I expected. I am glad that management is being patient. I was worried at first that the Flames might panic because of their position in the play-off race, and I am glad they didn't sell the farm for right now.

This is a team with its eye on the future. This is not the Flames year to contend for the cup, this is another year of development on the way to perennial play off appearances.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:55 PM   #23
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that Treviling (or whoever is pulling the strings) do not have a plan or strategy that they can stick to.

On one hand they think that this is a great team that has a window of opportunity at this time and sign Backlund to a long-term deal. They bring in Hamonic at a high future cost, Signed Stone to be the #5 D-man to a big longterm deal. They brought in Jagr and Versteeg who are on the downside of their careers but could be really good over a short period. They brought in a really good aging goalie.

They basically gave up on filing NHL spots from within the organization.

All indications are that the Flames management really thought that this year and maybe next (based on Gio?) are the best the Flames are going to be.

Then they looked at what they have put together and said who the heck are we kidding. This team is going no-where.

Getting Evander Kane would not be enough to boost then up a level. Plekanec would not be worth-while. They are not a Maroon away from running with the big boys. Simply there was no one out there as a rental that would make this team better and/or the Flames cupboard is so bare that they can't afford to spare any asserts.

This is supposed to be a good team, has been built on contender level contracts and yet is an also ran.

If not this year what is going to happen to make the Flames into a contender.

Are Valimaki and Dube being counted on to be major players in 2 years?

Is Tkachuk going to improve every year?

What is going to happen to make this group of players into a contender?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:02 PM   #24
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ outside of maybe 6 teams, every other team in the NHL that isn't in the bottom 10 is in the same situation as Calgary is...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2018, 06:04 PM   #25
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The flames definitely overestimated this group,and this group has not lived up to their hype.

Much of the core is still young enough for organic growth and improvement.

The flames were smart in not digging themselves deeper into debt this year. Some minor tweaks, hope for the best, the offseason is where they will make their moves.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2018, 06:05 PM   #26
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
^^ outside of maybe 6 teams, every other team in the NHL that isn't in the bottom 10 is in the same situation as Calgary is...
So you're saying there are exactly 14 other teams in the same situation as Calgary?
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:06 PM   #27
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
I think that Treviling (or whoever is pulling the strings) do not have a plan or strategy that they can stick to.

On one hand they think that this is a great team that has a window of opportunity at this time and sign Backlund to a long-term deal. They bring in Hamonic at a high future cost, Signed Stone to be the #5 D-man to a big longterm deal. They brought in Jagr and Versteeg who are on the downside of their careers but could be really good over a short period. They brought in a really good aging goalie.

All indications are that the Flames management really thought that this year and maybe next (based on Gio?) are the best the Flames are going to be.

Then they looked at what they have put together and said who the heck are we kidding. This team is going no-where.

Getting Evander Kane would not be enough to boost then up a level. Plekanec would not be worth-while. They are not a Maroon away from running with the big boys. Simply there was no one out there as a rental that would make this team better and/or the Flames cupboard is so bare that they can't afford to spare any asserts.

This is supposed to be a good team, has been built on contender level contracts and yet is an also ran.

Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:09 PM   #28
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I cant complain, I'm pretty happy overall. We hung on to our assets and didnt overpay for magic beans.

We're not in the position to mortgage everything for a run at the Cup.

Stand firm and stay the course. If we're not addressing our coaching situation then we shouldnt even be considering splashing out big assets.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2018, 06:10 PM   #29
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Listening to my favourite guy on the radio today Lou said it perfectly.

Time is what matters most and we have been cooking our prospects carefully and patience has been key.

Talking about the future and our prospects it's great to see these guys are getting the chance to prove what they'll be worth.

It's exciting being a flames fan for the future.

Guys making the jump / helping this year.

Hathaway, Jankowski, Kulak, Rittich, Gillies, Mangiapane

Next year's contributors ....Andersson, Valimaki, Dube, Parssons,
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:10 PM   #30
Flamefan1
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Flames

Quote:

Ricardo can't figure out if you at an Oilers fan or a Canuck fan?
Flamefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:16 PM   #31
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like all things Flames, Meh.

We aren't good enough to make a big move and serious run this year. We aren't bad enough to sell assets.
We truly are the dictionary definition of meh.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:16 PM   #32
JJolg
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

This is wrong, the players have just been unable to seize a spot. They have given players opportunities and they haven't made the most of them. Even Janko who was clearly above playing in the ahl is struggling with the game now that it has stepped up a notch. The only one that screams ready is Anderson but at this point he's probably better off finishing the season unless a injury occurs.

None of the forwards called up showed they need to stay, even hathaway who started strong has faded.
JJolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:20 PM   #33
Lobotroth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Good moves for a team that still requires patience. They aren't going to contend this season even though they have many good pieces in place. See what happens for the rest of the year and go from there. No complaints.
Lobotroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:21 PM   #34
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something something.. grit index improved... something something.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2018, 06:25 PM   #35
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames didn’t do enough to move the needle toward playoff lock. Having said that it did not seem like the hockey deal was there to be had. The lack of picks meant the Flames could not get Kane who was the player (Hartman as well) who would have been the best fits.

Stewart was a good claim. He was always a guy I wanted to be a Flame but that want has faded as has his career. He fits a need as a big body right shot. He will fight any Duck if we face them in the playoffs.

Shore is a meh move to say the least. I am happy they stood pat with their goalies. I believe it shows that Smith will be back at some point and also shows some confidence.

It is going to be a fight to the finish. The Flames were in a playoff spot on US Thanksgiving and the trade deadline. Hopefully they are there at the end of the season. From what I heard they have a favorable schedule so they control their own destiny.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:29 PM   #36
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
Listening to my favourite guy on the radio today Lou said it perfectly.

Time is what matters most and we have been cooking our prospects carefully and patience has been key.

Talking about the future and our prospects it's great to see these guys are getting the chance to prove what they'll be worth.

It's exciting being a flames fan for the future.

Guys making the jump / helping this year.

Hathaway, Jankowski, Kulak, Rittich, Gillies, Mangiapane

Next year's contributors ....Andersson, Valimaki, Dube, Parssons,
Not sure, Flames forward ranks have very little depth that can fill anything but depth roles.

Dube will need time at AHL, i bet he is a couple years away.

I see no chance that Parssons does anything but play full time at AHL

Flames defense depth is the organization strength

In the offseason Flames will be forced to move assets to trade for scoring at the forward position or they continue to struggle to take the next step.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:30 PM   #37
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post

Would like to see how the team does with a different coach before any big "win now" deadline deals as well
You are going to be waiting awhile, Tre and Conroy both love GG, he isn't going anywhere until the end of his contract at the earliest imo.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:32 PM   #38
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm fine with the moves they made today, and I'm glad they're being patient with this current roster. The addition of Stewart and Versteeg coming back should provide some much needed depth to our RW position heading into the post season. It'll be nice having Steeger back on the PP as well.

Let's see what kind of damage these guys can do in the playoffs this year. If god forbid they don't make it in, or if they get spanked in the 1st round, then Treliving can then make more significant moves in the off season, including (hopefully) a new coaching staff.

This is a roster that on paper should be battling it out with Vegas for top spot in the Pacific in my opinion. When the Flames have their A game going, they've been able to compete with and grind out wins against some of the top teams in the league this season (on the road anyway). We've all seen what they're capable of. They just need to figure out how to do it more consistently.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:04 PM   #39
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamefan1 View Post
Ricardo can't figure out if you at an Oilers fan or a Canuck fan?
Jets fan.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:09 PM   #40
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Honestly, it is very rare that a trade deadline acquisition is a great deal. More often then not, it is awful. (Especially on rentals)

Sometime the best deal is the one you don’t make.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post: