Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2018, 12:05 AM   #21
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
We all need something to complain about.
Not necessarily.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:26 AM   #22
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
He's right. I'd take that hangover anytime. Three Cups in a decade? And now some salary cap issues because guys are worn out? Calm down, Chicago. Smoke your after-sex-cigarette and STFU.
Exactly!!! Here's hoping they miss the playoff for the next decade or so, bunch of spoiled brats.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:37 AM   #23
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

If Mark Lazerus was reading some of our PGT's (after some losses) he might be saying the same thing about Flames fans. We have our share of bi polar fans.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:55 AM   #24
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't know, Jarome Iginla did things in a Calgary Flames uniform that nobody had done before, just short of actually winning the Cup, and you read this forum and you'd think he was a plodding scrub that put pucks on his head and jumped in the net 50 times a year, all while never getting close enough to see the whites of Miikka Kiprusoff's eyes.

Fans turn on players surprisingly fast and Chicago fans are another example of it.

Even in the 90's as our championship team was being dismantled one piece after another, I remember some of those guys being run out of town by the fans moreso than the team itself. They were labeled as chokers that couldn't get the job done in the playoffs, only to promptly go and win titles in other cities.

And this stuff isn't unique to Calgary or Chicago.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JD For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 03:17 AM   #25
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know some posters here are saying that some of the stuff that is said here comparable to what is going on in Chicago but it's not. I find the sports scene in the US is VERY different in terms of emotion and hatred and they do take their sports very very seriously. It's not much different than the political shows where everybody get's into their trenches and its a battle.

A little perspective though is that the Blackhawks have won 3 Cups in 8 years and had a run of some sustained playoff success for almost 10 years. The Flames as an organization haven't had ANY sustained playoff success in almost 30 years and frankly, we are overdue and it needs to happen soon. We are talking about an entire generation of Flames fans who haven't witnessed back to back success of anything meaningful.

You can only live on the memories of Lanny and Theo from 89 and on the amazing run with Iggy and Kipper from 04 for so long.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:08 AM   #26
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lazerus is right, and the way some fans attack players is disgusting. I think it comes down to the anonymity of the internet, which allows people to say whatever they want with no need to personally stand behind it - no accountability.

And it will only continue to get worse.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:25 AM   #27
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

People ragging on the Hawks do need to remember the cup victories, times may be hard now but they had a lot of success in the past.

I think Flames fans do have a right to be upset though, year after year it's been disappointing to be a Flames fan. They won the cup a long time ago and have had to watch a lot of bad hockey since. Fans pay a lot of money and sometimes it looks like the players are taking the night off so ya they do have a right to be upset. It's a way different situation from the Hawks. The other part that upsets some fans is the blind faith some people have in some players.

Fans have a right to be upset but I agree that personal attacks are crossing the line. They do have the right to be frustrated though.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:54 AM   #28
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Applies to us as well when we go total weirdo after a loss.
It's how it goes on the interweb.
Hockey version dynasty with multiple cups and cup runs over the past decade ....

Vs

A team that has made it past the first round twice in close to 30 years, a franchise plagued in mediocrity in that span, and an ownership group begging for tax payers to pay dearly for this luxury.

Ya, I have to think it's at least slightly different.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:46 AM   #29
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Different sure but either way it’s poor form. Don’t be those fans.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 07:28 AM   #30
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Here’s two more follow up tweets in that thread.

Mark Lazerus
@MarkLazerus
Be sad. Be frustrated. Rage against management, sure. Want them traded for cap reasons, even. That's all legitimate and warranted in some cases. But the vitriol you spew at players who brought you so much over the years, Jesus. Get a grip.

Mark Lazerus
@MarkLazerus
You know what most fans would give to have a decade like you've had?
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 07:46 AM   #31
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's fair. Be upset with team, management or even the player but they're still people. Be respectful.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:33 AM   #32
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Shame on the Blackhawks for circumventing the cap and making up an injury on Hossa. I mean really, #### them.
Disagree...

For me it's SHAME ON THE NHL for trying to "punish" a team that was perfectly legal according to the CBA at the time the contract was executed.

I have said before, that I would like to see the 'Hawks challenge this post ex facto penalty in a US court if the league ever tried to enforce that recapture penalty.

I am not a lawyer, but, in the US, the legal priniciple would be that the conditions AT THE TIME OF THE CONTRACT'S EXECUTION, would prevail, and any changes in the conditions AFTER this execution could NOT be legally applied retroactively.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:39 AM   #33
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Hating an athlete for underperforming is uncalled for, but wanting them moved is just a logical consequence of the salary cap.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:42 AM   #34
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefoss1957 View Post
Disagree...

For me it's SHAME ON THE NHL for trying to "punish" a team that was perfectly legal according to the CBA at the time the contract was executed.

I have said before, that I would like to see the 'Hawks challenge this post ex facto penalty in a US court if the league ever tried to enforce that recapture penalty.

I am not a lawyer, but, in the US, the legal priniciple would be that the conditions AT THE TIME OF THE CONTRACT'S EXECUTION, would prevail, and any changes in the conditions AFTER this execution could NOT be legally applied retroactively.

I am far from being knowledgeable about contract law, but wouldn't the fact that the PA collectively bargained the changes that affected Hossa (and others) contracts, supercede anything argued against it?

IE; The NHL was just following the guidelines agreed to with the union
Old 02-11-2018, 08:43 AM   #35
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

Transplant...I think that only the conditions at the time of execution can apply, otherwise contracts would be too malleable.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #36
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Here’s two more follow up tweets in that thread.

Mark Lazerus
@MarkLazerus
Be sad. Be frustrated. Rage against management, sure. Want them traded for cap reasons, even. That's all legitimate and warranted in some cases. But the vitriol you spew at players who brought you so much over the years, Jesus. Get a grip.

Mark Lazerus
@MarkLazerus
You know what most fans would give to have a decade like you've had?
Sadly, reminds me of some of the stuff you read in a GT here most (all?) games. Hell, even most wins, we have a few that feel the need to criticize over and over. Calling players “garbage” “stupid” “losers” etc
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 09:03 AM   #37
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Hopefully this triggers Rocky Wirtz's inner Bill Wirtz and out of spite he refuses to spend money and ceases all media coverage of the team. Go ahead Rocky show those fans what misery really looks like.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 09:11 AM   #38
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Sadly, reminds me of some of the stuff you read in a GT here most (all?) games. Hell, even most wins, we have a few that feel the need to criticize over and over. Calling players “garbage” “stupid” “losers” etc
Yup and it's alway the same posters. But they get away with it, so why not?
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:13 AM   #39
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hawks fully deserve this season for the Hossa debacle. I would be embarrassed if the Flams ever tried a stunt like that to get out of a contract and I'm not just saying that. The Flames have had to live with contracts like Stajan, Wideman, Brouwer, etc so it disgusts me that teams like the Kings and Hawks use these players to win cups and then weasel out of them like they can have their cake and eat it too. If you are going to go for it to win the cup with bad contracts that's fine but these teams shouldn't have these get out of jail free cards once the contracts aren't working in their favour. Brent Seabrook better make sure he's living squeaky clean off the ice as I'm sure this team would do anything to once again make up some kind of way to get out of that deal.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 02-11-2018 at 09:16 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 09:26 AM   #40
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Hockey version dynasty with multiple cups and cup runs over the past decade ....

Vs

A team that has made it past the first round twice in close to 30 years, a franchise plagued in mediocrity in that span, and an ownership group begging for tax payers to pay dearly for this luxury.

Ya, I have to think it's at least slightly different.
The way in which fans react on the internet is what's at issue, not how the teams have performed historically.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post: