Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2017, 11:31 AM   #21
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
to keep goalies in their net so there's less scoring.
They should make it so that goalies outside of the crease playing the puck can be hit just like any player playing the puck.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:32 AM   #22
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind it. Only tweak I would make is if the puck goes over either of the side boards it would be delay of game (so stays the same). If the puck hits the netting at the other end of the ice then its similar to icing (no change).
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:35 AM   #23
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't mind it. I would like a small adjustment though. Monahan got one this year when he sent it straight over the opposing goalie's head after flipping it out from our zone. He wasn't really under pressure, but the puck just sailed. There should be an icing exemption for that situation.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Fan, Ph.D. For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #24
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think if it hits the netting and comes back into play then the puck is still in play and the whistle doesn't need to be blown. If it hits the netting and drops between the boards and netting and leaves play then that sucks, there goes another puck. Play stops, we have a faceoff and we're good. If the puck goes straight into the stands, then sure, call a delay of game penalty.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #25
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Infinity glass. Toss out the netting altogether. Puck can never go out.
I don't mind the rule as it is, no need to change. But what does need to change is the side glass not being consistent in height with the end glass. Extend the side glass to the same height as it is at the ends of the rink so it is consistent all around the rink, and all around the league. Not quite infinity glass (cool idea) but the next best thing.

And maybe change the rule so that it is both a penalty AND you cannot make a line change.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:41 AM   #26
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm also always surprised by the backlash against this rule. Shooting the puck out should never be a viable defensive play, and you should have enough skill and control to make a legitimate play in order to clear your zone, even if you just ice it. Can't do it? Too bad. You either turn the puck over or take the penalty. I like that the rule is black and white.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 11:46 AM   #27
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just build a glass roof and they can play in a cage, more exciting that way!
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:46 AM   #28
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

1min penalty?
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:50 AM   #29
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Icing all the way.

I'm honestly not even sure how it differs from icing. Obviously when it happens now, it's a mistake.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:51 AM   #30
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't think people realize that the intent of the rule is to not just keep pucks from being fired over the glass to stop play, but to reduce pucks fired off the glass and out of the zone.

It is now a risk/reward scenario if you are trying to use the glass to clear the puck. In the olden days, if your tried to use the glass and were high, oh well. Now if you want to use the glass, there is a chance of a penalty, meaning you have to aim lower (resulting in either an icing or an interception).

The penalty may be harsh, but it is not like players don't know the risk. Same as the risk of trying to stop a break away by poking at a puck... there is a risk you miss and trip the guy, resulting in a penalty (or penalty shot).

In addition to this rule, I think that you should not be able to ice the puck during a power play (in other words if you ice it, the puck comes back in your end for a face off and you cannot change your lines). And I think if the goalie covers the puck (or holds onto it in his glove), that the defending team should not be able to change their lines either.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:59 AM   #31
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Icing all the way.

I'm honestly not even sure how it differs from icing. Obviously when it happens now, it's a mistake.
Well yes obviously now that there is a rule in place it happens by mistake but before the rule came in players would simply not care if the puck went out and a lot did it on purpose for a whistle and change when they were under pressure.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:59 AM   #32
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

What if they went to a penalty like a misconduct, where you are in the box but still 5 on 5? That would take a guy out of the rotation, and mess with your lines, but still not be a game changer.

I hate the penalty, but I appreciate the benefits.

As for the netting, if you allowed play to continue the next thing you'ld have is home rinks playing with the tension, nice taught netting in the opposing zone and just a little mushier in ours. Huge can of worms, gotta leave it as is. haha
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 12:06 PM   #33
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

When they brought the rule in it was an issue that needed to be addressed. Players were clearly doing it on purpose and weren't even subtle about it. There was no ripping it down ice and oops it went over. It was direct flips over the glass just to end the play. I'm talking in the corner, facing the boards and flipping it directly out...no attempt to even go down ice with it.

And at that time it was discretionary on the part of the refs. They could have called it if they wanted to. The very, very rarely did. I wouldn't expect that to change if you went back to that system.

I'm also not sure if making it like icing does anything. A player is tired and running around their zone. They will gladly take the 20 second rest by flipping the puck out (given the refs won't call a discretionary delay of game). That's better than running around for another 20 seconds waiting for the opposition to score. I suppose the non-icing team can gain a bit of an advantage as they do on icing but I'm not really sure the icing rule actually deters players from icing the puck in times of extreme pressure (minor pressure yes).

It's not a perfect rule and I really do dislike it but I'm not sure how else it can be controlled.

Last edited by ernie; 03-22-2017 at 12:09 PM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:07 PM   #34
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing I think they could add is the ability for a coach to use a time out and use replay in the event the official missed a deflection of a stick.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:08 PM   #35
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Well yes obviously now that there is a rule in place it happens by mistake but before the rule came in players would simply not care if the puck went out and a lot did it on purpose for a whistle and change when they were under pressure.
Yes, but before the rule you could change your lines as well. Now you can't have a line change anymore with an icing. Isn't that enough? A two minute penalty for putting a puck over the glass seems ridiculous.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:09 PM   #36
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the rule. Before the rule was implemented, teams would always flip it over. It literally made the game much longer to sit through. Anyone remember the 3-3.5 hrs broadcasts? Hurry-up faceoffs, but also the puck over the glass rule made things much quicker. I remember Regehr was pretty notorious for flipping the puck over all PK long.

There's also a safety factor to consider. With teams being penalized for flipping the puck over, there's much less pucks flying out on those sides of the rinks. Less risk of injuries for fans if players aren't chipping it over the glass every time to try to get the puck out.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:10 PM   #37
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Yes, but before the rule you could change your lines as well. Now you can't have a line change anymore. Isn't that enough?
Not if a player is feeling pressure from multiple directions and thinks his linemates are in bad positions to help him out all he has to do to get out of trouble is put the puck out of play and get a way better situation for himself and his team.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:13 PM   #38
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good rule. In 42 years of playing hockey, I can count the # of times I've accidentally shot the puck over the glass on one hand.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:13 PM   #39
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I like the rule. Before the rule was implemented, teams would always flip it over. It literally made the game much longer to sit through. Anyone remember the 3-3.5 hrs broadcasts? Hurry-up faceoffs, but also the puck over the glass rule made things much quicker. I remember Regehr was pretty notorious for flipping the puck over all PK long.

There's also a safety factor to consider. With teams being penalized for flipping the puck over, there's much less pucks flying out on those sides of the rinks. Less risk of injuries for fans if players aren't chipping it over the glass every time to try to get the puck out.
Is t just me or is this not really a thing? After icings teams play the "you take the draw and get tossed" game, linesman frequently have to redo the drop, the amount of times the players get thrown out is also high it seems. Oh and let's not forget the ever popular "you silly wingers stop cheating and back up" talking to.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #40
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Not if a player is feeling pressure from multiple directions and thinks his linemates are in bad positions to help him out all he has to do to get out of trouble is put the puck out of play and get a way better situation for himself and his team.
I get what you're saying and "edn88" makes a good point, but with the rules the way they are now (no line changes with an icing) I think it would be enough of a punishment for a puck over the glass.

I really don't see a big difference between icing the puck and putting the puck over the glass right now. They are both to alleviate pressure, how one is a two minute penalty is comical IMO.