Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2016, 01:39 PM   #21
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceUppercut View Post
I think Jankowski will spend the year in the AHL. There isn't much point keeping him up to play 4th line minutes when he can play first line minutes in Stockton.
The x-factor is injury. It seems plausible he could spend significant time in a productive role should an injury happen (hopefully not of course).
Old 09-17-2016, 01:50 PM   #22
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was an okay preview. I think he missed Jankowski, which is a pretty big omission. I also think, that when discussing pairs, he missed the most obvious pair in the system, and that is Bennett and Tkachuk. I still contend that the most reasonable lineup is Gaudreau-Monahan-Brouwer,Shinkaruk-Backlund-Frolik, Tkachuk-Bennett-Chaisson, and Bollig-Stajan-Ferland. Solid pairs with complimentary thirds. I could see Jankowski and Prybil making a couple veterans expendable come the all star break.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:51 PM   #23
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
It was an okay preview. I think he missed Jankowski, which is a pretty big omission. I also think, that when discussing pairs, he missed the most obvious pair in the system, and that is Bennett and Tkachuk. I still contend that the most reasonable lineup is Gaudreau-Monahan-Brouwer,Shinkaruk-Backlund-Frolik, Tkachuk-Bennett-Chaisson, and Bollig-Stajan-Ferland. Solid pairs with complimentary thirds. I could see Jankowski and Prybil making a couple veterans expendable come the all star break.
I wouldn't call it obvious, I would call it your opinion. I think Tkachuck is better off playing with a vet like Backlund or going back to juniors
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:58 PM   #24
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I wouldn't call it obvious, I would call it your opinion. I think Tkachuck is better off playing with a vet like Backlund or going back to juniors
To anyone who really follows hockey, it is pretty obvious. To the HF set, maybe not so obvious, but to people who know the Flames and their system, as plain as the nose on Tim Hunter's face. Tkachuk playing with Backlund would be a waste of time and talent. Their games are not even remotely close to each other in style and substance. It would not benefit Tkachuk to ride shot gun to Backlund. I'd rather see Tkachuk score 40-50 goals in junior than struggle to score 10-15 in the NHL along side a checking line center.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:00 PM   #25
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I could see being an ideal scenario for the Flames over the next year.

Jankowski is the first line centre for the Heat and puts up really good numbers showing that he is going to pay off down the road.

Backlund continues to evolve as a very solid 2 way centre and sets career highs in goals and assists next year.

With one year left on his contract and a Fran's Nielson type contract waiting for him the following summer the Flames sell high and trade Backlund. Hopefully the deal has typical Treliving wizardry included

Jankowski slides into the 2 way 3rd line centre role and fills the role even better than Backlund due to his size and smarts.

Last edited by Vinny01; 09-17-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 02:10 PM   #26
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
To anyone who really follows hockey, it is pretty obvious. To the HF set, maybe not so obvious, but to people who know the Flames and their system, as plain as the nose on Tim Hunter's face. Tkachuk playing with Backlund would be a waste of time and talent. Their games are not even remotely close to each other in style and substance. It would not benefit Tkachuk to ride shot gun to Backlund. I'd rather see Tkachuk score 40-50 goals in junior than struggle to score 10-15 in the NHL along side a checking line center.
Oh I see. Bob McKenzie follows pretend hockey, does he? That's quite the ego you have on you.

If Tkachuck were to make the NHL, he is going to make rookie mistakes and it's good to have a possession dominate, poised centre like Backlund to guide him. Besides, Backlund and Frolik could use a little spark of energy on their line. If Tkachuck is ever going to be a top 6 forward, he's going to need to generate offense on his own, not rely on other players. Lots of young guys start in checking and energy lines and then prove they belong with the point producers
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2016, 02:23 PM   #27
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Frolik and Backlund are two veteran players any rookie would be fortunate to ride shotgun for.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2016, 02:28 PM   #28
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh I see. Bob McKenzie follows pretend hockey, does he? That's quite the ego you have on you.
Sorry, Bob MacKenzie works for a pretend sports network in TSN. The Toronto Sports Network is so out of touch with reality it isn't even funny. How the hell could a reputable source of information miss the most obvious things for a team, like their top prospects? What's next? Calling the Oilers a playoff contender because of McDavid, even though he doesn't score like he did in junior?

Quote:
If Tkachuck were to make the NHL, he is going to make rookie mistakes and it's good to have a possession dominate, poised centre like Backlund to guide him.
Who is this Backlund you speak of? Is he any relation to the Mikael Backlund we have under contract? Is he eligible to sign?

Its one thing to pump the tires on a player, but its another to over-inflate them to where that guy will never achieve the expectations. I would never consider Backlund a dominant center in any regard, even as a third line center. He's a good center, but not a dominant one. He definitely doesn't play the type of game that a player like Tkachuk would feed off of.

Quote:
Besides, Backlund and Frolik could use a little spark of energy on their line. If Tkachuck is ever going to be a top 6 forward, he's going to need to generate offense on his own, not rely on other players. Lots of young guys start in checking and energy lines and then prove they belong with the point producers
Makes all the sense in the world. Toss an 18 year old rookie on a line with a couple of two way checkers and think he is going to, not only survive in the NHL, but provide offense for those two checkers. I would hope Gulutzan has a little more on the ball than that. I would hope he would recognize that would be an incredible waste of talent. Your generality is sweet and all, but just out of curiosity, who was the last Flames player that started out as a checker and showed he was a top line talent? Who has top line talent that was thrust into a checking role that found his way to be a talented scorer like the Flames hope that Tkachuk will be?
Old 09-17-2016, 02:33 PM   #29
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Backlund is great at elevating his linemates, I would have no problem with tkachuk riding shotgun with him.
indes is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2016, 02:42 PM   #30
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, Bob MacKenzie works for a pretend sports network in TSN. The Toronto Sports Network is so out of touch with reality it isn't even funny. How the hell could a reputable source of information miss the most obvious things for a team, like their top prospects? What's next? Calling the Oilers a playoff contender because of McDavid, even though he doesn't score like he did in junior?

Who is this Backlund you speak of? Is he any relation to the Mikael Backlund we have under contract? Is he eligible to sign?

Its one thing to pump the tires on a player, but its another to over-inflate them to where that guy will never achieve the expectations. I would never consider Backlund a dominant center in any regard, even as a third line center. He's a good center, but not a dominant one. He definitely doesn't play the type of game that a player like Tkachuk would feed off of.

Makes all the sense in the world. Toss an 18 year old rookie on a line with a couple of two way checkers and think he is going to, not only survive in the NHL, but provide offense for those two checkers. I would hope Gulutzan has a little more on the ball than that. I would hope he would recognize that would be an incredible waste of talent. Your generality is sweet and all, but just out of curiosity, who was the last Flames player that started out as a checker and showed he was a top line talent? Who has top line talent that was thrust into a checking role that found his way to be a talented scorer like the Flames hope that Tkachuk will be?
Pretty sure Monahan started as a 3rd line centre, as did Bennett behind Backlund and Monahan.

Actually come to think of it, Iginla and Fleury as started in the bottom 6
Old 09-17-2016, 02:45 PM   #31
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

14 of Sam Bennett's career 27 5-on-5 points (51.9%) have come on the ice with Mikael Backlund

356:15 of Sam Bennett's career 984:36 5-on-5 minutes (36.2%) have come on the ice with Mikael Backlund

Anyone who thinks Backlund is not a quality, if offensively limited (but adequate) 2C, is wrong.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 09-17-2016 at 03:55 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2016, 02:45 PM   #32
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thrusting Tkachuck in the top 6 against the best defenders and other top 6 forwards in the game is something the Oilers would do. You're right, Let's hope Gulutzan is on the ball
Old 09-17-2016, 02:46 PM   #33
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
14 of Sam Bennett's career 27 5-on-5 points (51.9%) have come on the ice with Mikael Backlund

356:15 of Sam Bennett's career 984:36 5-on-5 minutes (36.2%) have come on the ice with Mikael Backlund
Oh right, he started on the wing
Old 09-17-2016, 02:47 PM   #34
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh right, he started on the wing
The timing of your post and my post met by accident.

I was simply supporting the statement "Backlund is great at elevating his linemates, I would have no problem with tkachuk riding shotgun with him."

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2016, 03:19 PM   #35
mivdo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Tkachuk with Backlund and Frolik would be great not only to shelter Tkachuk a little bit but also for him to learn the defensive side of the game. Backlund had 47 points last year and Frolik with 32 (64 games). Not going to blow anyones socks off but they are no slouches either in the offensive zone.
mivdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:38 PM   #36
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ring of Fire View Post
If Bennett is really 200lbs now as McKenzie suggested, that should really help his success this year.
If you look at his Twitter feed you can see a pic of him at his sponsor Glenmore Audi. Definitely looks bulkier in the shoulders, etc.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:54 PM   #37
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:
Default Bob Mackenzie Flames 16/17 preview

I could see Tkachuk playing with Bennett as early as this season, but only if Brouwer was on the right side of that line, showing them the ropes of being a power forward and making sure the opposition is respecting them.

Putting them with another young player and expecting them to make an impact immediately would be a really bad move in terms of their development, IMO. Don't throw him in the fire.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:52 PM   #38
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hmm.. so

Gaudreau - Monahan - Chaisson
Shinkaruk - Bennett - Brouwer
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bouma - Stajan - Ferland

Looks pretty well balanced too.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2016, 05:06 PM   #39
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like that Mackenzie has no illusions about Jokipakka stepping into the top 4. Not sure I'm sold on his suggestions for filling the "holes" next to the likely forward pairs. But that's what camp is for, to help figure that stuff out.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:17 PM   #40
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Hmm.. so

Gaudreau - Monahan - Chaisson
Shinkaruk - Bennett - Brouwer
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bouma - Stajan - Ferland