Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2015, 06:39 PM   #21
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, isn't this like the 8th X-Men movie in the last 15 years? As cool as the trailer looks it is difficult to get excited for yet another mutant movie.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:44 PM   #22
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Part of the original rights sale
The rights were never sold, they were licensed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
It also felt like the whole lets change history so X3 never happened to be very contrived.
Anything done to erase X3 from history is well worth it.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 12-13-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Finger Cookin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:27 PM   #23
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Also, isn't this like the 8th X-Men movie in the last 15 years? As cool as the trailer looks it is difficult to get excited for yet another mutant movie.
You just have to pretend that 3 of those movies don't exist... The writers have now too.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:34 PM   #24
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Anything done to erase X3 from history is well worth it.
Touché! Contrive away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
You just have to pretend that 3 of those movies don't exist... The writers have now too.
Only three?
Old 12-13-2015, 09:35 PM   #25
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

dp
Old 12-13-2015, 09:40 PM   #26
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I liked The Wolverine, not great but decent I thought. It certainly wasn't the mess Orgions was.

Pretty good batting average for the x franchise though. X2, First Class and Days were all home runs for me. Xmen and The Wolverine were good.

First one gets more credit thought because it set the whole thing up and comic book movies weren't as highly valued as they are now.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:45 PM   #27
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I liked The Wolverine, not great but decent I thought. It certainly wasn't the mess Origins was.

Pretty good batting average for the x franchise though. X2, First Class and Days were all home runs for me. X-Men and The Wolverine were good.

First one gets more credit thought because it set the whole thing up and comic book movies weren't as highly valued as they are now.
Seconded.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:07 PM   #28
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I liked The Wolverine, not great but decent I thought. It certainly wasn't the mess Orgions was.

Pretty good batting average for the x franchise though. X2, First Class and Days were all home runs for me. Xmen and The Wolverine were good.

+1 for picking the three good ones. I'm actually not a big fan of the first one though. Everything with Wolverine is great but this feels like typical 90s action movie just with superhero characters. Oh, and don't even get my started on Magneto's "plan". He thinks the mutants are superior to humans but wants to turn all humans into mutants?!? What?!?

Also, I rate The Wolverine as just average. Sure I was entertained but after already seeing 4 movies featuring the same character the action scenes started to get repetitive. There are only so many way you can show a character with claws getting in a fight.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:23 PM   #29
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
+1 for picking the three good ones. I'm actually not a big fan of the first one though. Everything with Wolverine is great but this feels like typical 90s action movie just with superhero characters. Oh, and don't even get my started on Magneto's "plan". He thinks the mutants are superior to humans but wants to turn all humans into mutants?!? What?!?

Also, I rate The Wolverine as just average. Sure I was entertained but after already seeing 4 movies featuring the same character the action scenes started to get repetitive. There are only so many way you can show a character with claws getting in a fight.
Cool bro.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:58 PM   #30
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Cool bro.
Thanksed
Old 12-13-2015, 11:09 PM   #31
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I totally want to Thanks your Thanksed.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:19 PM   #32
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Old 12-13-2015, 11:51 PM   #33
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did I just get a "cool story bro" for discussing X-men films in an X-men film thread? Then it was repeatedly thanked?

Instead of making a poster feel unwelcome in a thread maybe just say nothing next time?
Old 12-14-2015, 04:08 AM   #34
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Almost everything that was interesting about Wolverine was destroyed by his popularity as a character.

The film version of Wolverine is a perfect example of how watered down he has become. Almost all of the darkness is just gone. No man/beast dichotomy, no killing worth mentioning... These days he's just a pretty bulk antihero type. Drinks, sleeps around, curses. That's pretty much all he's allowed to be, antihero with the emphasis on cool. A character that must be cool all the time is just boring in the long run.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:27 AM   #35
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Did I just get a "cool story bro" for discussing X-men films in an X-men film thread? Then it was repeatedly thanked?

Instead of making a poster feel unwelcome in a thread maybe just say nothing next time?
You're kind of just being an annoying contrarian.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:25 AM   #36
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Almost everything that was interesting about Wolverine was destroyed by his popularity as a character.

The film version of Wolverine is a perfect example of how watered down he has become. Almost all of the darkness is just gone. No man/beast dichotomy, no killing worth mentioning... These days he's just a pretty bulk antihero type. Drinks, sleeps around, curses. That's pretty much all he's allowed to be, antihero with the emphasis on cool. A character that must be cool all the time is just boring in the long run.
I'd agree. The Wolverine's character has been ruined. He's supposed to be a ugly little misfit with a huge chip on his shoulder that is prone to uncontrollable fits of rage. Instead, we get Hugh Jackman showing off his abs and occasionally scowling.

As for the movies that shouldn't exist, I was referring to X3 (obviously) and both Wolverine movies. X2, First Class, and DOFP were all excellent. X1 was good. While Wolverine: Origins and X3 were actively awful, "The Wolverine" was merely entirely forgettable.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:04 PM   #37
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought CP stood for Contrarian Puck?

Thanks to Itse and blankall for the enjoyable on topic posts. I suppose I am being too hard on X1 but agree The Wolverine was unnecessary and unmemorable.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:25 PM   #38
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Wolverine was pretty good until it went crazy with the weird Silver Samurai suit at the end.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:29 PM   #39
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I tried to watch The Wolverine on Netflix and couldn't even finish it. Just silly, outlandish junk.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:30 PM   #40
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The whole cinematic universe thing has made it almost impossible for a movie like "The Wolverine" to be anything but casual viewing.

As a movie, its really no worse than a few of the films in the MCU. But because it stands alone as just a movie about Wolverine. It's doomed to be received as at best, average.

For the record, I enjoyed it. Until the weird ending.
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote