Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2015, 08:44 PM   #21
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 10:42 AM   #22
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Kudos to the OP for making a thread on this. I've watched the last 2 episodes of the previous season and wondered how much further Les was going to go through with the Bigfoot investigation.

Les was done doing the full on 7 day survivor thing. He said his body couldnt handle anymore of it after the 3rd season so I'm glad to see he's doing something else. Also nice to see that he's got some new toys too like his gopro camera and drone cameras.

Anyways, I want to see more stuff like this:

and this:

Who in their right mind sees that and believes that is Bigfoot? The same people who think man didn't land on the moon and that Bush knocked down the World Trade Center towers most likely. I mean, seriously. Hilarious videos.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:14 PM   #23
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Dang, I hope for a speedy recovery for Les. I think he's awesome.

So he's actually launching a new show called Survivorman and Son? I know he did one episode of that a while ago, but is it now a full blown show on it's own?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:46 PM   #24
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:08 PM   #25
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Examining the Patterson film

Quote:
The most famous recording of an alleged Bigfoot is the short 16 mm film taken in 1967 by Roger Patterson and Bob Gimlin. Shot in Bluff Creek, California, it shows a Bigfoot striding through a clearing (see figure 2). In many ways the veracity of the Patterson film is crucial, because the casts made from those tracks are as close to a gold standard as one finds in cryptozoology. Many in the Bigfoot community are adamant that the film is not-and, more important-cannot be a hoax. The question of whether the film is in fact a hoax or not is still open, but the claim that the film could not have been faked is demonstrably false.

Grover Krantz, for example, admits that the size of the creature in the film is well within human limits, but argues that the chest width is impossibly large to be human. “I can confidently state that no man of that stature is built that broadly,” he claims (Krantz 1992, 118). This assertion was examined by two anthropologists, David Daegling and Daniel Schmitt (1999), who cite anthropometric literature showing the “impossibly wide” chest is in fact within normal human variation. They also disprove claims that the Patterson creature walks in a manner impossible for a person to duplicate.

The film is suspect for a number of reasons. First, Patterson told people he was going out with the express purpose of capturing a Bigfoot on camera. In the intervening thirty-five years (and despite dramatic advances in technology and wide distribution of handheld camcorders), thousands of people have gone in search of Bigfoot and come back empty-handed (or with little but fuzzy photos). Second, a known Bigfoot track hoaxer claimed to have told Patterson exactly where to go to see the Bigfoot on that day (Dennett 1996). Third, Patterson made quite a profit from the film, including publicity for a book he had written on the subject and an organization he had started.

In his book Bigfoot, John Napier, an anatomist and anthropologist who served as the Smithsonian Institution’s director of primate biology, devotes several pages to close analysis of the Patterson film (pp. 89-96; 215-220). He finds many problems with the film, including that the walk and size is consistent with a man’s; the center of gravity seen in the subject is essentially that of a human; and the step length is inconsistent with the tracks allegedly taken from the site. Don Grieve, an anatomist specializing in human gait, came to the conclusion that the walk was essentially human in type and could be made by a modern man. Napier writes that “there is little doubt that the scientific evidence taken collectively points to a hoax of some kind.”
http://www.csicop.org/si/show/bigfoo...gfoot_evidence
Old 01-03-2016, 02:44 AM   #26
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bit of a bump, but thanks to the "ongoing creepy stories and unsolved mysteries thread" I finally got around to watching the rest of the Bigfoot episodes.

I thought the 2 part special that came out in 2014 was better than the 7 episodes from 2015. Maybe because it was all new to me, as I'd never looked into any bigfoot stories, but the 2015 ones just felt like more of the same.

I still think the whole thing was neat. No, I still don't believe in Bigfoot, just like I don't believe in ghosts or any of that stuff. But it was still a neat watch and mysteries can be fun sometimes.

Last edited by btimbit; 01-03-2016 at 03:39 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:34 AM   #27
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking at the website of Survivorman Bigfoot it has:SURVIVORMAN BIGFOOT: A BRAND NEW 2-PART SPECIAL FOR SCIENCE CHANNEL US, DISCOVERY CHANNEL US, and TRAVEL & ESCAPE IN CANADA

I think I know why I can't get a grant for a Canadian travel show, because I don't want to put mysticism in it! How could I have been so blind! We want entertainment, but this is just ridiculous. #EndRant
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:27 AM   #28
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bigfoot is such a fascinating subject to me, there are some very compelling reasons as to why and how Yeti could exist, and there are some very compelling reasons that you'd have to have to have a head full of woo to take Yeti's seriously at all.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote