Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2015, 10:37 PM   #21
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

#HailHydra

NSFW!
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:33 PM   #22
czure32
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Looks like some VIP and 4 day passes have been returned over the last few days (refund period ended a couple days ago for online orders) and I was able to pick up a VIP pass. Not many media guests this year that I really care about but for the few I do, VIP passes are still worth it.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:08 AM   #23
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just going on the Friday. I expect it will be busy, but hopefully not as bad as the Saturday crush.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 04-05-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:59 PM   #24
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh man, when did Norman Reedus cancel??? No Daryl Dixon.

Brandon Routh cancelled as well.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:40 PM   #25
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by www.calgaryexpo.com/news
03.31.2015 Norman Reedus unable to attend Calgary Expo

Fans of The Walking Dead will be happy to know that Norman Reedus is continuing to do some awesome work on the show. Fans of Norman Reedus will be sad to know that because of his busy schedule with TWD, he will no longer be available to come to the Calgary Expo.

Those who purchased the solo photo op with Norman will automatically be refunded within 7-10 business days.
For those who purchased The Walking Dead Team up Photo Op: We have some more guest news coming up so that photo op will be going forward as planned.

We here at Expo HQ share your disappointment, and we're very sad that Norman can longer come, but we wish Norman the best and we're excited to see how things develop with The Walking Dead!
Quote:
Brandon Routh cancelled as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by www.calgaryexpo.com/news
04.03.2015 Brandon Routh no longer able to make it to Calgary Expo

Due to a filming project in Malaysia, Brandon Routh is no longer available to attend the Calgary Expo.
People with solo photo ops will automatically be refunded their solo photo op
People with Arrow team up photo ops: We've got some cool news coming up, so that photo op will be proceeding as planned.
Ross Marquand from The Walking Dead and Robbie Amell from The Flash were added.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:04 PM   #26
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by czure32 View Post
Looks like some VIP and 4 day passes have been returned over the last few days (refund period ended a couple days ago for online orders) and I was able to pick up a VIP pass. Not many media guests this year that I really care about but for the few I do, VIP passes are still worth it.
Good catch. I'm surprised they're still up, I didn't think you could return them. Or maybe they just added more. We're still a week out and you can certainly still get passes for most of the days.

I might go for the one day myself but the San Diego & NY versions are still the ones to hit. Maybe DragonCon one of these days.

The Calgary show is getting better every year though.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:50 PM   #27
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the best day to bring a kid? I don't care for this stuff at all, but know my 6 year old will go bonkers if he sees a bunch of people dressed up in Star Wars gear.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:59 PM   #28
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Good catch. I'm surprised they're still up, I didn't think you could return them. Or maybe they just added more. We're still a week out and you can certainly still get passes for most of the days.

I might go for the one day myself but the San Diego & NY versions are still the ones to hit. Maybe DragonCon one of these days.

The Calgary show is getting better every year though.
They were returns...which are then re-sold. VIP passes are capped at a certain number, but any returned are put back up for sale.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:32 PM   #29
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
What's the best day to bring a kid? I don't care for this stuff at all, but know my 6 year old will go bonkers if he sees a bunch of people dressed up in Star Wars gear.
The weekend would be better I'd think for people being there in costume, though I think Saturday is sold out already.

Look for the 501st Legion Badlands Garrison at booth 1701 in the South-West corner of Hall D, guys dressed up as Storm Troopers and usually Vader. EDIT: And there's usually a remote control R2-D2 usually wandering around.

EDIT: https://www.facebook.com/501stLegion...type=1&theater
Old 04-09-2015, 09:39 AM   #30
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
Your son may like this, and it's free: http://www.calgaryexpo.com/calgary-e...ty-of-calgary/

Otherwise, Saturday passes are sold out as mentioned. Friday might be the other good day to go. Kids 7 and under get in free. An adult pass for Friday is just under $35 once you count fees and taxes.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:22 AM   #31
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Look on the positive side, It means Daryl hasn't been killed off yet.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:01 PM   #32
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

The guest list is sort of weak this year. The only panels I have any interest in seeing is Carl Weathers and Jewel Saite. What's with the WWE people attending? I kind of regret getting tickets for both Saturday and Sunday now.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:06 PM   #33
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's always wrestling types at these kind of events.

Any word on early wristband pick-up this year? There's no new info on the site that I can see.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:08 PM   #34
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are real genuine nerds getting upset that Comic Cons are becoming more mainstream?

EDIT: I mean no offense, I re-read that and it sounded condescending. Just curious.

Last edited by CroFlames; 04-14-2015 at 01:24 PM.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:27 PM   #35
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, VIP passes still available and tickets for most days still up for grabs as well.

I wish we'd get enough clout to get major exhibitors like Sideshow, Dark Horse, IDW, Hasbro, Lucasfilm, etc. (oh and video game companies!) Do we still have things banks, universities, and radio stations on the show floor?
Old 04-14-2015, 01:31 PM   #36
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Bioware is in Edmonton. How hard could it be to get them to come down?
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:40 PM   #37
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Are real genuine nerds getting upset that Comic Cons are becoming more mainstream?

EDIT: I mean no offense, I re-read that and it sounded condescending. Just curious.
That's sort of weird question. The more popular these events have become, generally speaking, the better guests they've been able to attract. I imagine some people get all hipster about it but I assume most people are just happy that something they're passionate about is seen as cool and no longer a source of ridicule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Along those lines (EA Vancouver), how awesome would it be if EA showed up with a hands on Star Wars Battlefront booth demo?
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:12 PM   #38
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
The guest list is sort of weak this year. The only panels I have any interest in seeing is Carl Weathers and Jewel Saite. What's with the WWE people attending? I kind of regret getting tickets for both Saturday and Sunday now.
I'm under the impression it's been a rough year for getting media guests to Cons at all this year. WWE/Wrestling people fall under the "Entertainment" aspect of the Expo (It's the Calgary Comic & Entertainment Expo, remember).

Folks (nerds or not) get upset about whatever they feel doesn't belong in "their" event. You should look at some of the FB posts for the Expo, it's a conspiracy that they "got and announced" Norman Reedus, then cancelled him after everyone bought tickets...just to sell tickets, etc.

Expo is growing and growing, but even as big as 'we' are, we still have a ways to grow before the big US folks will come. Not to mention, I'm told that getting 'Con merchandise (or any sort of merch, really) across the border is a massively expensive PITA.

A lot of folks (both guests and companies) are invited. It's up to them to come if they want to/can/afford it.

Also, it's a problem that the Expo has had some amazingly stellar luck the last few years with ST:TNG and the Aliens cast...so the bar was set super high and folks keep expecting that it can only go higher and higher. Victim of their own success, as it were. You can't always get the showstoppers every year, and better showstoppers every year.

Still going. Still intend to have fun.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:36 PM   #39
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Quote:
Along those lines (EA Vancouver), how awesome would it be if EA showed up with a hands on Star Wars Battlefront booth demo?
I think BioWare has only just recently been going to the event up in Edmonton (though I think their expo is also relatively new). I'd imagine it just doesn't make that much sense for them to attend at this stage (along with the other big names and things like EA).

The show in Calgary might push through a decent number of people but it doesn't really compare or have the exposure versus things like New York or San Diego. Kinda like the chicken or the egg with the better and bigger exhibitors I guess.

I think Calgary has about 100,000 attendees with during the six month window that tickets are available. Comic-Con goes through 130,000 in literally just a few minutes or seconds with the worldwide demand they have. However, the fact that so many tickets are still available for the Calgary show is good for late comers for sure.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:22 PM   #40
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I agree with the weak guest list.

There's almost nothing for sci-fi other than Jewel Staite, and Anne Wheaton as a featured media personality is as much of a joke as having the WWE stars there.

I'm glad I didn't buy a ticket this year.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote