Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #21
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schraderbrau View Post
I'm turning into my dad. I watch the news in the morning before work and I love to listen to 660 and 770 when I'm driving.
Count yourself lucky. I turned into my step dad and he was a jerk.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:59 PM   #22
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't mean to sound all uppity or like my time is so precious, but I can really only spend 20-25 minutes or so enjoying a cup of coffee before I start a hectic day. I guess I'm just trying to maximize that time.

I know that I can jump around from site to site and get all the news that I'm after, but I just thought it would be great to find the "perfect" news site that had all the content I wanted in one place. Plop my ass in a chair with my coffee for 20 minutes and I'm up to date on the news that I care about.

If that costs me a bit of money, $10-20/month, I'm ok with that if I'm getting what I'm after.

Now I know that the "perfect site" is different for everyone and that's why I'm after opinions!
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:19 PM   #23
FlamesAllTheWay
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Globe and Mail, CBC generally on the internet. Occasionally read MacLeans, Newsweek, The Economist magazines.

Sometimes check out BBC, CNN, Fox News (I know, but there's a large group that takes it seriously so I like to see what they're reading) to get a different, non-Canadian take on things.

Also calgarypuck and the HF Political Boards. 660 News for radio and more local content. Calgary SUN at work for the sole reason that it's paper format easily opens on the tables I eat my lunch on.

Don't pay anything for news.

Last edited by FlamesAllTheWay; 07-27-2014 at 10:23 PM.
FlamesAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:23 PM   #24
Super Nintendo Chalmers
First Line Centre

Exp:

I use an Android app called gReader. It can download full articles from sites that have an RSS feed. I'm subscribed to Reuters and CBC as well as a bunch of non-news feeds like Red Flag Deals. The app and the feeds are free.
Super Nintendo Chalmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:29 PM   #25
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I find cbc and the guardian give me a pretty good understanding of whats going on, and while driving i listen to 660 for headlines and a quick recap
smoothpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:52 PM   #26
Badabing
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I have a few feeds running based on what I'm looking for.

Local: CBC Calgary, Global
National: Globe & Mail, CBC
International: Al-Jazeera English, BBC, New York Times, The Independent
Finance/Business: Bloomberg, Reuters, Wall Street Journal
Technology/Entertainment: Engadget, IGN, TechCrunch

There's usually a lot of overlap, so it's nice to be able to read a couple of different takes on issues when I have the time.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:40 AM   #27
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

naturalnews.com, foodbabe, alex jones
Old 07-28-2014, 07:03 AM   #28
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edmonton Journal digital subscription for local, and I use an app called Zite on my iDevices...it's a news collector with a backend that collects usage data so it gradually customizes over time based on your feedback. It's not as good as it was before CNN bought it but it's still pretty good.

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:03 AM   #29
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Calpuck is a good source for hockey news but not much else. Try sifting through the **** of that Israel thread for news.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:30 AM   #30
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

New York Times online.

Yes, and it's worth it.

Quality journalism is dying because nobody is willing to pay for it.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 07:44 AM   #31
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
Why does everyone always say this whenever this is brought up? Calgarypuck is amazing, don't get me wrong. But more so for discussion on a variety of topics.

How many news items do you get from calgaypuck, if this is where you get your news? Like a couple major international stories per week, plus maybe a couple local ones?
That's still a lot more news than most people get. Plus being able to be part of the discussion generally yeilds some excellent insights, givent he wide range of posters we have here.

CP, Jon Stewart, Colbert and Oliver is pretty much where I go to keep in touch with the world.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:37 AM   #32
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Jon Stewart, Colbert and Oliver is pretty much where I go to keep in touch with the world.
I hope you are not being serious?

Don't get me wrong I enjoy those three, but they are not valid sources of news.

Even Stewart agrees they are not sources of news.

Google news section, I bounce around and link to different stories. I like how you can get a couple of differing views on the same news story.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:42 AM   #33
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get my news from Reddit. You can read the news links, and then read the good discussion afterwards. Even better is that it's not blocked at work - for the way it consumes my time, it should be!
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:19 AM   #34
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I hope you are not being serious?

Don't get me wrong I enjoy those three, but they are not valid sources of news.

Even Stewart agrees they are not sources of news.

Google news section, I bounce around and link to different stories. I like how you can get a couple of differing views on the same news story.
I am being serious. I follow up on anything they talk about that I have interest in, and yeah sometimes they don't really get into much news, but I still feel they are good sources to keep your finger on the major things that are happening, because they generally cover that stuff. They may not go into great detail a lot of the time, but most times a good discussion can be found here. Or I'll will follow up on it. Stewart may claim not to be news, but he is definitely more informative than some of the 24/7 news crews, if only just because he doesn't have to fill the time with nonsense. CNN recently did a poll that showed Colbert watchers generally have a much more informed view of national and international events than even their own audience.

Even if they pretty much just show the hypocrisy amongst politicians and news outlets, that in itself, is some of the most important stuff that I think gets overlooked by many people. And again I add CP to the mix, which despite what was said earlier, generally has a thread going on about most big things going on around the world and locally, even if it's not on the 1st page.

Despite my seeming lack of "news" sources, I still find myself much more informed about world goingson than 90% of the people I meet. A lot of people don't even follow any news at all.

Last edited by Coach; 07-28-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #35
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

To me Stewart, Colbert and Oliver are like reading the headlines.

You'll know about things going on in the world, you'll get a few jokes about it, and if you want to really know about it you can them look it up.

In fairness, the evening news isn't that different. You can't expect to understand an issue with a 5 minute story.

The evening news or the Daily Show, if that's your sole source of news, you're not getting the full story. If you're only reading one paper, or one site, you're not likely getting the full story.

Here's the thing with comics, they press the envelope, and in turn they have affected change (see the BBC and climate change 'balance').

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #36
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schraderbrau View Post
I'm turning into my dad. I watch the news in the morning before work and I love to listen to 660 and 770 when I'm driving.
Yeah most of my information comes from the radio as well. I cruise around in my rice rocket with the sunroof open and windows down while blaring 660 News, and occasionally the Fan lol.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:00 AM   #37
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
To me Stewart, Colbert and Oliver are like reading the headlines.

You'll know about things going on in the world, you'll get a few jokes about it, and if you want to really know about it you can them look it up.

In fairness, the evening news isn't that different. You can't expect to understand an issue with a 5 minute story.

The evening news or the Daily Show, if that's your sole source of news, you're not getting the full story. If you're only reading one paper, or one site, you're not likely getting the full story.

Here's the thing with comics, they press the envelope, and in turn they have affected change (see the BBC and climate change 'balance').
Yes I totally agree. The thing I like about getting the headlines from the comics is at least it's entertaining and not in an infuriating way. I can't imagine having to sit through even a few minutes of Fox News or even CNN talking about the same thing ad nauseum rampant with baseless speculation. They also all tend to have interesting guests. Usually only 1 or two celebrities per week and the rest are informative interviews.

Again I understand that in order to get more knowledge on subjects I have to look deeper, and I use many different sources for that ype of thing. And I come here to get discussion on matters because there are generally at least a few informative posters in each thread (IE UCB, CC in military threads). And yeah, there's usually a thread on most subjects, and if not, starting one always yields at least a few responses.