Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2014, 06:47 AM   #21
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some additional thoughts: if you left industry now (or are let go by Shell later) how easy will it be to find another job based on your credentials? Do you like your current job and wish to stay in it? Making the move is a lot easier if there is the option of going back in 1-2 or even 5 years.

Does the family like Calgary? Kelowna? Happy wife, happy life

I made a similar change (pay cut for lifestyle reasons), but I always knew I could go back to the "big money" if it didn't work out or I didn't like it. In the end the choice was easy as working the "big money" job wasn't sustainable for us (we also have a young family and that was more important long term). Govt pension is also a nice perk

PS I think short term housing pain is largely irrelevant; this is a long term decision and with your current wage it sounds like you'll be able to absorb it long term.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:12 AM   #22
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Rent your current house with furnishings as an executive rental. Move to Kelowna and rent for a while so you have a safety to fall back on if you end up not enjoying it. I am sure the rent here would more than cover your mortgage and a good chunk of your rent in Kelowna.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:35 AM   #23
HockeyPuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

During the interview, the manager mentioned that the OGC opened the office in Kelowna to attract engineers to the OGC. They couldn't get anybody to work out of the head office in FSJ, so they opened up the one in Kelowna.

I used to work for the AEUB (when it was called that) back in 2003-2006. It was probably 3 years too long. I've also ran into a couple of old co-workers from the EUB and they always say, "I had enough". So my biggest concern with working for the government is getting bored and coming to the point where "I've had a enough".
Old 07-14-2014, 07:37 AM   #24
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My wife and I discuss moving the family to Kelowna every time we go out there (which is 2-3 times per year). I have family living out there as well which provides a bit of incentive however it always comes down to the work thing for me. You spend so much of your life working, money is a part of it sure, but I'd make damned sure you are going to enjoy the work you do out there. I know for myself I work in O&G as well and I enjoy the challenges it brings, I am not sure a cushy government job would keep me engaged to the point where I am satisfied.

Not saying we won't move out there some day, if everything else is equal it seems like a great place. But I'd definitely make sure the job is a good fit first. As others have said though, as long as the experience is relevant and you have a high-demand skill set than the worst case scenario is that you'd have to move back if it didn't work... Not so bad.

An additional plus is that it's a good time to sell here and a good time to buy in Kelowna, so it's possible a few years out there could improve that side of your financial situation. It's not like that valley will ever go down in demand, there simply aren't a lot of places like it in Canada to live. Oh, and if you DO need a realtor out there, I also know a gem of a "guy" (my wife's uncle ).
TheGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheGrimm For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2014, 08:00 AM   #25
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Winters are mild compared to Calgary and Spring comes early. The valley tends to get overcast in the winter - not rainy, but cloudy for long stretches. Traffic can be bad around the bridge. Vancouver is about 4 hours away.

The good side of the tourism, is there are so many great restaurants in the Valley and at the wineries. Many seniors retire there, and driving can be frustrating when you get behind people driving 40 km/h everywhere.

I like all the fresh produce you can buy at the side of the road for much of the year.

Kelowna is "big" enough, but Penticton sometimes felt "small" where everyone knew each other's business. In winter it was a ghost town. Big drug problem in the Okanagan.

Ideally I would like a weekend/summer place there, but I would miss my events too much in the Big City to live there full-time.

Last edited by troutman; 07-14-2014 at 09:39 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #26
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you can make a comfortable living ...do it! Go live where you are happy.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:17 AM   #27
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The question you should ask yourself is this: if the job was in Calgary, would I leave my current job to take it.

If the answer is yes, then you should probably do it. If the answer is heck no, then don't.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:39 AM   #28
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
The question you should ask yourself is this: if the job was in Calgary, would I leave my current job to take it.

If the answer is yes, then you should probably do it. If the answer is heck no, then don't.
Not very fair. The reason he's suggesting leaving is because he likes Kelowna, not necessarily the job first . Placing the job in Calgary is an unfair comparison, because you've taken away the primary parameters of the reasons for leaving in the first place.

HockeyPuck, you should make the move. There's no better time than now to sell in Calgary, and you're always going to be wondering about the missed opportunity if you don't. I know people who absolutely love living out there for the exact reasons you've suggested. Let adventures guide your life, not making money. You seem to be in a situation where even if you took less, it's likely more than everybody else still anyways.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2014, 08:58 AM   #29
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

To me if you would really like to be in Kelowna, and you can afford the pay cut after you are settle into your new life why not.

Another pro is the government job is probably much more secure.

I would love to live in Kelowna, you can be on the water 10 months a year if you are motivated, within 30 minutes of great hiking and Ski Hills, if it were not for family in Calgary and that it's much harder to find a good job there.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #30
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

50% paycut plus higher taxes means your take home pay will be more like 45% of what you are earning now. That's too much of a drop for most people. I've been to Kelowna a lot of times but it always feels like the same two streets you are driving everyday.

The weather is slightly nicer but Calgary ain't that bad most of the time. Moving is a romantic thought but I don't think it'll work out for you because how happy will you be making just 50% of what you are making now?

If you make the same money in Kelowna, it's a viable thought. 190K is a lot of income that you might not be able to get back if you let this Shell job go.

Last edited by darklord700; 07-14-2014 at 09:20 AM.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:23 AM   #31
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

The weather out there sucks in the fall and winter, if you like drab overcast days for 6 months straight than go for it.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:27 AM   #32
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
If you make the same money in Kelowna, it's a viable thought. 190K is a lot of income that you might not be able to get back if you let this Shell job go.
He's a 1% guy - he has buddies in high places that will slot him into a high-paying cushy desk job - assuming its a desk and not a yacht in Mexico
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #33
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If the "pros" are there for you, Id say go for it. Kelowna is great. Calgary will always be here.
One thing I would consider is what other opportunities would you have in Kelowna if you wanted to change jobs or needed to find a new job. You might feel handcuffed to your employer if theres not much other work in Kelowna.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:36 AM   #34
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

You've worked at the AER in one of its incarnations, BCOGC is probably exactly the same. How did you feel when you left the AER, was it only a money decision or did you feel crushed under a soul burdening weight? Because nicer weather isn't worth doing something you'll hate day in day out for decades, imo. If you're someone who could relax into a government job and not mind it, then this might be an ok move.

Biggest economic factors I would consider that haven't been mentioned are PST on everything and housing prices. How much of the lower income will be made up by a lower mortgage payment?
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2014, 09:37 AM   #35
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry. Double Post.

Last edited by bizaro86; 07-14-2014 at 09:43 AM.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:43 AM   #36
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I agree that you should follow your heart to what makes you happy, but make sure this is the right fit.

I could never work government, but that is just me. You even mention you and your friends have worked gov't and had enough after just a few years. What happens if you hit that point? Kelowna probably doesn't have a lot of options, and you will have to move your family back after a few years. At that point sounds like your kids will have started school.

Also, as others have mentioned the take home pay (less gross and net). I know you can get by on less, and probably can. However, why not hunker down here and save your money? Invest it wisely, make it grow. Then invest in property out there? You can then fly or drive out there year round, then eventually retire there. Yes, this won't make you happy today, but it may make you happy and more comfortable in the long run.

My wife and I have always discussed living somewhere else. However, our plan has always been to save our money so she can retire early, and maybe if we are lucky buy a vacation property so she can hang out with the kids there.

We had the same conversation you are having (she is an Engineer and did some time at NEB), that she could work for BC Hydro, or BC gov't, but we come back to the same place. Not worth going to a place 5 times a week, to get paid jack, get less time off, deal with the red tape, just to come home angry/board. Better to go through short term pain (Calgary winters are painful for us) and write our own chapter on our terms later.

Last edited by OldDutch; 07-14-2014 at 09:46 AM.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #37
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't care if the job was on the coast of Italy...being stuck in a job that I hate year in and year out would make life miserable.

If this was me, I'd hold out for a better work situation.

Also, I have a feeling that salary downgrade will be a bigger adjustment than you think. It's always harder to take a step back lifestyle wise...especially when you have a wife and kids.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:51 AM   #38
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

When looking at Salary's be sure to compare the pensions.

The government pension is probably worth like 30% of your Salary. Look at what the earliest it can vest is as well. I know people who took government jobs, did 25 years in them, cash out at 50 and double dip with consulting jobs while stille earning there base salary. Earning something like 80% of their best 5 years for life. So the gap in pay while existing is probably less than double.

Don't discount the value of a guarenteed pension although it is just like other golden handcuffs that you lose alot if you don't hit certain years of service.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #39
HockeyPuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ha so just to be clear, I said the 1%er thing in jest. Hence the smiley. I thought we were all 1%ers on CP. I'm more of a 5%er.

Anyways, I appreciate the responses - Keep 'em coming! I think I'm gonna run out of thanks pretty soon.

Boredom at work is my biggest worry as I haven't even taken advantage of Shell's training yet. I haven't been able to head out to the Haig! I think it's the opportunities I could be giving up at Shell (training, working overseas, etc).

Then I think is all that really worth it? Can lifestyle change overcome potential misery at work?
Old 07-14-2014, 10:02 AM   #40
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Work to live my friend, not live to work. The latter is very much an Albertan thing that's hard to realize and do something about it.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glad it's not edmonton , vancouver is no good