Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2014, 03:35 PM   #21
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also I hear parents often have land lines so they can ostracise their child and not buy them a cellphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #22
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was with Telus for phone and internet.. I didn't find any problems when we had Telus internet but with Shaw I found our internet would drop and I would have to reboot the modem.
The Shaw Wifi Modem is not as strong as the wifi modem we had with Telus.
Price wise combining all our services with Shaw was a bit cheaper.

As well Shaw Go Wifi is awesome to have
Old 04-09-2014, 04:52 PM   #23
an hero
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Much of Calgary still has spotty at best coverage. My folks used to be in Sundance and got barley 1 bar coverage, and now they are in Royal Oak area and same thing (and neither is on the real fringe of Calgary). I am on Rogers, and my parents on Bell, totally the same signal. Can barley make a call, and when you can, it drops in the first two minutes.

Honestly, if you live next to a tower it's a no brainier but service is just not there for a lot of people.
Lol same thing here...

On Telus mobile .. Mount Pleasant = crap signal, but just a tad east to Winston Heights = great coverage. All I can do is shrug.
an hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #24
Osker
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Our house has used Shaw for a really long time. We like it and haven't ever had any major problems with it. A few friends have Telus TV and I find the guide quite irritating to use. I'm sure you get used to it, but it just didn't do it for me.
Osker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:51 PM   #25
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm a big hater of Telus. I signed one of those contracts to get a free TV, and now I can't get out. My internet speeds are irritatingly slow, but no complaints from the TV. I still prefer the Shaw PVR box, my sister has it and it only displays the channels you have. My parents have the gateway and that feature I really like how you can record a few shows at the same time.

Just wish thetelus PVR could record more shows though. It's irritating being only able to record a few shows at once and if you're watching live TV it cuts you out.

I think I'll go back to Shaw once my contract ends, but I also hear bad stories about both. Talking to techs I hear it's more related to what area you are and what type of wiring they have.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:44 AM   #26
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooohooo View Post
I still prefer the Shaw PVR box, my sister has it and it only displays the channels you have.
The Telus box has an option somewhere to customize your guide, so you can 'tick off' the channels you don't have.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2014, 09:12 AM   #27
TjRhythmic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've had both. No complaints with either. Just more or less jumping back and forth between companies based on deals. Only constant have been the landline with Telus.

I found customer service to be equal with both companies. They've both been good regardless of the situation
TjRhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:27 PM   #28
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm getting tired of satellite tv and need to choose between Telus and Shaw. I actually signed up online with Telus for Optik TV, internet, and phone. However they failed to show up at my house for installation, so after the 2nd day, I called to see what was up. They told me they could not install the internet 50 package I ordered, even though the online search of my address told me it was available at my location. So I told them I wasn't interested.

I currently get internet through Shaw and was doing some research on their sight about the tv service. One thing I didn't see offered, but may have over looked, was HBO and NFL Sunday Ticket. Can you get both of these through Shaw? How is the tv service overall from Shaw?
Old 07-13-2014, 11:33 PM   #29
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
I'm getting tired of satellite tv and need to choose between Telus and Shaw. I actually signed up online with Telus for Optik TV, internet, and phone. However they failed to show up at my house for installation, so after the 2nd day, I called to see what was up. They told me they could not install the internet 50 package I ordered, even though the online search of my address told me it was available at my location. So I told them I wasn't interested.

I currently get internet through Shaw and was doing some research on their sight about the tv service. One thing I didn't see offered, but may have over looked, was HBO and NFL Sunday Ticket. Can you get both of these through Shaw? How is the tv service overall from Shaw?
What is it you require the downloading for? (ie; <50mbps is too slow)
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:46 PM   #30
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

My biggest regret with my moves of the last few years is canceling satellite TV. HBO and Sunday ticket are available. But the hardware and channel guides suck. The presentation and ease of use feels way less polished than Bell ever did.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:38 AM   #31
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
What is it you require the downloading for? (ie; <50mbps is too slow)
I'm not the sharpest guy when it comes to tech. So maybe, fast download speeds shouldn't be a concern. However, my family of four has numerous devices on the go all at once. Four tablets, three phones, three computers, plus an Xbox. We were having some issues with connectivity on and off. So I bought the best Wifi router I could find at Best Buy. I don't download movies very often (when I do, it is usually rentals off of iTunes for travel), but it takes hours to download them onto my iPad. So I figured, slower Internet would be a bad thing if I added Optic TV to the mix as well.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:41 AM   #32
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
My biggest regret with my moves of the last few years is canceling satellite TV. HBO and Sunday ticket are available. But the hardware and channel guides suck. The presentation and ease of use feels way less polished than Bell ever did.
Reading some reviews, I was kind of getting that vibe. However, I'm getting sick of getting a poor signal in the summer time. Missed most of the Stampede Finals last night because of the signal cutting out.

I also like the idea of a centralized PVR.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:20 AM   #33
freakinsaprikin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

You can get both HBO and Sunday Ticket from Shaw. I've never had an issue with service from Shaw before.
freakinsaprikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:30 AM   #34
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not the sharpest guy when it comes to tech. So maybe, fast download speeds shouldn't be a concern. However, my family of four has numerous devices on the go all at once. Four tablets, three phones, three computers, plus an Xbox. We were having some issues with connectivity on and off. So I bought the best Wifi router I could find at Best Buy. I don't download movies very often (when I do, it is usually rentals off of iTunes for travel), but it takes hours to download them onto my iPad. So I figured, slower Internet would be a bad thing if I added Optic TV to the mix as well.
No worries. You have kids that are techy though? Gamers?
Which internet do you have now?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:56 AM   #35
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I just switched to Shaw and I got this gigantic modem/router... it's almost as big as my gateway system which I find to be hugely better than my previous optic system. I pay slightly more than Telus, but I'm finding that I am getting better speeds, stability, more channels and this modem is surprisingly good. I'm in my garage and I'm getting reception... I've always liked Shaw as my parents have been with them for over like 10+ years and no problems.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:33 AM   #36
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

So looks like my work perks have changed and I no longer receive benefits with my Bell TV. Fortunately/Unfortunately Telus is an option for me with the whole TV/Internet/Cell getting a nice discount. Not a huge fan of the whole UI though the centralized PVR system sounds like it would be handy.

Seems silly to offer a 3 year contract for the PVR you'd pay off in a year and a half.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:36 AM   #37
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

1 thing I would say about the PVR and contract that's nice anduril is when i took a 3 year term back when I signed up they've now replaced my box twice, once for it being broken and the 2nd time when they increased storage. Had I bought the PVR and it broke I'd be sending it to cisco or buying a new one. And apparently this is for as long as I stick on optik... so conceivably in 5 years if they have a new PVR I'm supposed to be able to get it no questions asked.

At least thats how they explained it to me on the phone.
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brannigans Law For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #38
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Quote:
For a reference I am on shaw 25 and I have 4 phones, 3 computers, 4 tablets and 3 roku players. I do not have cable so we are constantly streaming Netflix, Hulu or other stuff and we have no problems, usually.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:11 AM   #39
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Things might have changed since I tried Telus...
But make sure the area you live in can support the services you want. I.e. I tried Telus but live in an area where I could only watch or record 2 HD channels at a time. Very frustrating when you have 2 TVs and want to record another show... One needed to be in SD. If you tried more than two, I'd get a message and black screen telling me my service was being used elsewhere in the house. I lasted with Telus 1 month before switching back.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #40
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I have High Speed 25 on Shaw and plenty of devices hooked up to it with no issues in regards to speed. Stream Super HD on Netflix/1080p on Youtube/Source on Twitch while downloading large files with no hiccups to speak of. If you don't get Shaw's newest Modem/Router combo, you will need to bridge the modem to get the most out of it though.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post: