Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #21
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do not believe McDonald will return next year. theres always a vet goalie FA waiting to get a call. That is the reason I think The Flames are going to go with Ramo as the starter and Berra as the number two. If it Fails then they will look to Free Agency.

I am more interested in the log jam on the farm team next year. Do they move on from brust and taylor and focus on developing our own prospects in Broissoit and Ortio? Or do they cut Ortio loose and keep on of Taylor or Brust

As for Kipper. It was awesome to watch him play and dominate on a regular basis. #34 deserves to be up in the rafters.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #22
Where ru Chris O'Sullivan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sorry, I've been under a rock.

I thought he turned down a deal to Toronto (or anywhere else) because he was retiring at the end of this season?

Now I see it all over CP that (2 weeks later) its still "up in the air".
??
Where ru Chris O'Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #23
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where ru Chris O'Sullivan View Post
Sorry, I've been under a rock.

I thought he turned down a deal to Toronto (or anywhere else) because he was retiring at the end of this season?

Now I see it all over CP that (2 weeks later) its still "up in the air".
??
He said in an interview after the deadline passed that he was going to wait until he talked with the Flames to decide whether or not he would retire. He said he turned down the deal because it wasn't fair to Toronto to sign an extension when he didn't know if his heart would be 100% on being there.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #24
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I do not believe McDonald will return next year. theres always a vet goalie FA waiting to get a call. That is the reason I think The Flames are going to go with Ramo as the starter and Berra as the number two. If it Fails then they will look to Free Agency.

I am more interested in the log jam on the farm team next year. Do they move on from brust and taylor and focus on developing our own prospects in Broissoit and Ortio? Or do they cut Ortio loose and keep on of Taylor or Brust

As for Kipper. It was awesome to watch him play and dominate on a regular basis. #34 deserves to be up in the rafters.
I'd sign JMac to a 1 year, have him back up Ramo with Berra in the AHL to start the season. If both Berra and Ramo are playing well, transitioning well to the smaller ice then waive Macdonald and bring Berra up.
puckedoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #25
drPepper1
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I hope he stays one more year. He's still got game left in him, would be a shame to see him retire.
drPepper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:31 AM   #26
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

While I'd have loved to get an asset for him, I respect that he's still here and he definitely deserves a proper send off. I hope the kid who use to mimic him makes a last appearance and shows him the love he deserves. And the flames should do a montage on the video screens at every break.
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:10 AM   #27
JeanLucPicard
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
I will shed a tear if kipper decides to call it quits after this season.

The guy keeps himself in great shape, and he was in god mode just last year.

Nobody expected to play this year, and I really believe this is an off year for the flames as a whole, which is a good thing in terms of the draft, and going forward.

Kipper still has 6-7 good years in the league, making good coin. I can't see why he would walk away.

At least wait until the off season (when we do a re-tool) to decide if you want to come back Kipper! We need you badly.
Honestly if he leaves Flames, or hockey alltogether, I think I'll be more sad than I was seeing Iginla go. The man has been the true backbone of this team - best goalie to ever play for Flames
JeanLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JeanLucPicard For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2013, 01:44 AM   #28
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dying4acup View Post
While I'd have loved to get an asset for him, I respect that he's still here and he definitely deserves a proper send off. I hope the kid who use to mimic him makes a last appearance and shows him the love he deserves. And the flames should do a montage on the video screens at every break.
It would be nice if this wasn't like a eulogy thread. This year is unique for many reasons. Few games, no camp, huge changes early and mid season. Hope he returns.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #29
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good article from Johnson this AM:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/touch/s...tml?id=8252217

One last home win would be fitting, but regardless, a proper sendoff for one the greatest Flame players of all time, who played at a top level for so long, injury free and drama free, as a classy humble down to earth guy, is more than warranted. As the article days, his top play covered some of the holes the last few years.

Getting the last one against the Wings, the high powered team where Kipper singlehandedly won games 1,5 and 6 in 2004, and got the Flames to OT Game 6 in 2007, would be extra special.

Last edited by browna; 04-17-2013 at 08:32 AM.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #30
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

What do you say, ladies? One last SHIRTS OFF FOR KIPRUSSOFF?

#shirtsoffforkiprussoff
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FlameZilla For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #31
Redmonster
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Hopefully the fans at the dome tonight can give Kipper a decent send off. Lately the dome atmospere has been abysmal. Against the wild, about a third of the crowd took off as soon as the 50/50 draw was announced. It was pathetic to see.
As for Kipper retiring, it seems kinda forced. He doesn't want to play elsewhere and there is no spot for him here next year. I still think he is capable of rebounding and playing a few more seasons. Unfortunately we will probably never know.

Thanks Kip! Most incredible goalie this franchise has ever seen.
Redmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #32
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nm
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #33
Cambardi
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmonster View Post
Hopefully the fans at the dome tonight can give Kipper a decent send off. Lately the dome atmospere has been abysmal. Against the wild, about a third of the crowd took off as soon as the 50/50 draw was announced. It was pathetic to see.
As for Kipper retiring, it seems kinda forced. He doesn't want to play elsewhere and there is no spot for him here next year. I still think he is capable of rebounding and playing a few more seasons. Unfortunately we will probably never know.

Thanks Kip! Most incredible goalie this franchise has ever seen.
The people that left at the wild were not leaving. It was Canadian armed forces appreciation night. All armed forces were asked to go down to the ice for a group picture. There were a lot of Military personnel there for the wild game.
Cambardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #34
Redmonster
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambardi View Post
The people that left at the wild were not leaving. It was Canadian armed forces appreciation night. All armed forces were asked to go down to the ice for a group picture. There were a lot of Military personnel there for the wild game.
Lol yeah I know, I was there. I'm speaking of the un-uniformed people. I guess it was a matter of opinion to some.
Redmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #35
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone who misses tonight will get to see Kipper Friday:

Calgary Flames@NHLFlames1m

"Miikka is going to start tonight and he's going to start on Friday." - Bob Hartley on Kiprusoff #CGYDET

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #36
Dr. Pepper
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Flames Retire Kipper's Jersey

I'm sure I'm not the first to say it, but I hope they retire his jersey at some point - he's the most skilled goalie we've ever had. I found this page revealing:

http://www.goaliesarchive.com/flames/records.html
Dr. Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #37
GettinIggyWithIt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambardi View Post
There were quite a few empty seats at the beginning of the game and even moreso towards the second intermission. I was in the section where the military personnel were being called down to and it seemed to me that the vast majority were uniformed staff. Granted - it is a Monday night Minnesota game...but nonetheless I'd agree with the comment about the atmosphere in the dome lately. Regardless, I'll be there tonight!
GettinIggyWithIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #38
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
This organization is very conservative and would never take the risk of going with two unknown goalies next year.

Just look at the logjam of redundant signings they made last year on the wing. Stempniak, Comeau, Hudler, all guys who are pretty similar to what was already here and were signed to create "competition" for the young prospects.

If Kipper stays another year, they'll have Berra and Ramo battle it out with him for the two jobs. If Kipper retires, they will re-sign Macdonald and have a 3 way battle between him, Berra, and Ramo.

Whether Macdonald comes back will depend entirely on Kipper's decision.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #39
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whatever Kipper decides is ok in my books. If he wants to retire, great. If he wants to come back for another season, I'd welcome that too. Could be a benefit having a veteran keeper around in our first full season of a rebuild, even if he's sharing duties with a younger goalie. Right now Kipper's decision has minimal impact on the team and he should just do what's right for his life and career. He's always going to be a respected Flames icon.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #40
Dr. Pepper
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Whatever Kipper decides is ok in my books. If he wants to retire, great. If he wants to come back for another season, I'd welcome that too. Could be a benefit having a veteran keeper around in our first full season of a rebuild, even if he's sharing duties with a younger goalie. Right now Kipper's decision has minimal impact on the team and he should just do what's right for his life and career. He's always going to be a respected Flames icon.
This exactly.
Dr. Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote