Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #21
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELPNEEDED View Post
Just to reiterate what others are saying:

When losing weight you need to feed your body more often so it does'nt go into starvation mode.
I see this one a lot, but if our bodies go into "starvation mode" by not eating food for half a day, I think we're all in trouble. Starvation mode is Broscience at it's finest.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #22
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
I did expect these types of comments, but would you guys mind explaining why it's unhealthy or a disservice to do so?

My two goals going into this were to a) lose weight at an acceptable rate (22 lbs. over 11 weeks for 2 lbs./wk, mainting a 500 cal./day defecit) and to b) retain muscle mass (I have gained a bit of muscle over this time period with a high-protein diet). Thus far, I have achieved both of these goals, and right now I'm in the best shape I've ever been in. My energy levels are high, I'm as flexible now as I was in elementary school, and most importantly it's helped with my confidence and self esteem.
I wouldn't say it's unhealthy, but by not really starting up your metabolism until around dinner time, you're effectively weakening it, possibly permanantly. That's why doctors don't recommend those juice detoxes - yeah you'll drop weight really fast, but keeping it off after going back to a regular routine without big lifestyle changes usually doesn't happen.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #23
HELPNEEDED
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I see this one a lot, but if our bodies go into "starvation mode" by not eating food for half a day, I think we're all in trouble. Starvation mode is Broscience at it's finest.
Quote:
The Importance of All Meals
By Lara Engler,

We've all heard the importance of providing our bodies with proper nutrients in order to take on the tasks of the day. Despite this knowledge, skipping meals for dieting reasons or lack of time is commonly practiced (6). These practices have undesirable health consequences and do not always result in weight loss.

How Your Body Reacts to Skipping Meals
Any time you skip a meal, your body goes into "fasting mode". During this fasting, carbohydrates, proteins, and fats are all used for energy. Carbohydrates are the number one source of fuel, followed by protein and then fat. As the fasting continues, the following steps will occur:

The glycogen storage deposits found in the liver and muscle become depleted.
As the glucose levels drop, the body looks for other sources of fuel. Since the brain and nerves prefer energy from glucose, protein tissues (muscle and liver) are broken down.
In efforts to preserve the remaining protein, the body starts to metabolize fat for energy in the form of ketone bodies (acetoacetic acid).
The process of using ketone bodies as fuel is called ketosis. This process can cause the following negative effects on the body (4,9,10):

Nausea
Fatigue
Constipation
Lowered blood pressure
Elevated uric acid (kidney disease)
Stale taste in mouth
Fetal harm/stillbirth in pregnant women
As the body switches to the use of ketone bodies, it begins to reduce energy output in an effort to protect both fat and lean tissue. In addition, as the lean tissues begin to shrink, they become weaker and perform less metabolic work, reducing energy expenditure even more (4,6,10). Hormones also slow down the metabolism to conserve lean body tissue (10).

This is also known as "starvation mode". This mechanism is thought to have evolved as a defense against starvation (5). The body uses its calories efficiently in order to protect its fat stores, using lean tissue and muscle instead (10). A lowered metabolic rate is a direct result of muscle loss. Accordingly, fewer calories are needed and weight loss slows down (3,7,8).

Undesirable Health Issues
Skipping meals and restricting calories will create cravings. Rapid high blood sugar occurs when you give into these cravings. As a result, your body creates a high amount of triglycerides, which convert to fat-storage. In addition, the depleted glycogen causes low energy levels because blood sugar is not being replaced. Unfortunately, the weight that is lost is mostly water (glycogen is made up of mostly water) and muscle (6).

The slowed metabolism will also have a tough time digesting your food, if you cram in all your meals at one time. This is also commonly seen in people who skip meals. They get so hungry they eat more then one meals worth at one sitting. The already slowed metabolism is going to take a lot longer to work the oversized meal throughout your body. Once again, resulting in weight gain.

Lastly, the success rate of losing weight from skipping meals is relatively poor. A significant amount of weight may be lost at first, but once again this is water and muscle weight, and the chances of gaining the weight back, plus more is quite good (1,3,8). The effects of skipping meals are listed in table 1.

Table 1.Effects of Skipping Meals (2,3,6,8,10)
1. Decreased energy expenditure
2. Decreased metabolic rate
3. Weight gain
4. Increased preference of fat in the diet
5. Decrease strength
6. Increased injury rates
7. Decreased bone density
8. Decreased body temperature
9. Decreased performance
10. Decreased resistance to disease
11. Renal regulation and Electrolyte imbalance
12. Impaired Thermal regulation
13. Decreased Testosterone level
14. Mood swings
15. Menstrual dysfunction

Summary
Dietary restriction by skipping meals should be avoided. The insufficient energy imbalance has undesirable effects, such as increased fat storage and weakened performance. The depressed metabolism will conserve its energy, making dieting less effective and more difficult (2). Using this method in hopes to lose weight may become frustrating and result in even more unhealthy ways of dieting (7).

It has been proven that consuming sufficient calories is better than not getting enough. In addition, getting them on time, thus preventing energy deficit state during the day, is better then getting them late (3). Combining exercise and healthier eating (reducing fat in diet, etc.) is highly suggested (1). Be sure to eat all meals throughout the day. They do not have to be huge meals, but enough to get your metabolism going,

References
1. Berdanier CD, Feldman EB, Flatt WB, Jeor ST. (2002). Handbook of Nutrition and Food. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.

2. Burke L, Deakin V. (2000). Clinical Sports Nutrition. Boston: McGraw Hill.

3. Deutz RC, Benardot D, Martin DE, Cody MM. (1999). Relationship between energy deficits and body composition in elite female gymnastics and runners. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 32(3):659–668.

4. Gropper SS, Smith JL, Groff JL (2005). Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism (4th Ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.

5. Keys, A., Brozek, J., Henschel, A., Mickelsen, O., & Taylor, H. L. (1950). The biology of human starvation (2 vols.). Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.

6. McArdle WD, Katch FI, Katch, VL. (2005), Sports & Exercise Nutrition. Baltimore: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.

7. Mulligan K, Butterfield, GE. (1990). Discrepancies between energy intake and expenditure in physically active women. British Journal of Nutrition, 64(1):23–36.

8. Steen SN, Oppliger RA, Brownell KD,. (1988). Metabolic effects of repeated weight loss and regain in adolescent wrestlers. Journal of the American Medical Society, 260(1):47–50.

9. Thibdeau, GA, Patton KT. (2003). Anatomy & Physiology (5th Ed.). Philadelphia, Mosby.

10. Whitney EN, Rolfes SR. (2002). Understanding Nutrition (9th Ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.

About the Author
Lara Engler is a student at Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA. She has worked as an intern at the NSCA's Human Performance Center in addition to interning with Sports Alliance. In the past, she served as an educator for the Nutrition Education Program in Philadelphia as well as a Research Diet Technician for the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Currently she is finishing her last year at Drexel, while training to become a yoga instructor
/Broscience
HELPNEEDED is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HELPNEEDED For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #24
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well, someone like Azure will do a better job of breaking down the components of a healthier diet, but essentially it comes down to "if you want to burn calories, you have to feed the furnace."

Your diet would likely promote some weightloss on the basis of calorie deficiency, but you've added exercise. Because you're exercising, being calorie deficient isn't as important.

I'm going to assume at 187 you weren't morbidly obese, either, which makes calorie reduction even less important.

There are small adjustments you could make that would likely see you experience significant results from the exercise related components. For instance, by not eating first thing in the morning, your body isn't doing a particularly good job of regulating insulin, which is going to lead to things like weight gain and fat storage. Your brain functioning will be reduced because of diminished glucose levels in your brain, and your body will be less able to adapt to other dietary changes (waiting an extra hour for a meal). By eating breakfast, even a smaller meal that contains mostly fat and protein, you're priming your body and metabolism for the rest of the day.

There's even a corrolation being drawn between not eating breakfast and eating higher fat foods later in the day.

None of this is to discourage your routine, but, it is very likely that you'd be seeing much better results eating more balanced throughout the day.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #25
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not to derail the derailment, but here's a recipe for very poor man's Thai noodles:

Ingredients:

3 packs of Mama brand instant noodles
2 eggs
Some vegetables (green onions, basil, or whatever you have handy)
Optional - ground pork or chicken

1. Cook the noodles in boiling water with one pack of the included dry seasoning

2. Sauté the vegetables and scramble the eggs with the seasoning from one pack of noodles (both the dry and wet seasoning). If you're using ground pork or chicken, you can add that now too.

3. Drain the water from the noodles, add the remaining included seasoning packets and your scrambled eggs and vegetables, and mix them all together

It's dinner for 2 or a dinner and a lunch for one for under $2. Roughly 500 calories for each of the 2 servings.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #26
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quick, healthy salad. Filling too.

- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 English cucumber, quartered and chopped
- half a Bell pepper, chopped.
- 8-10 baby carrots, small chop
- spinich or mixed greens if you have it, can do without though
- crumbled of feta cheese (skip this if you're watching your salt intake)
- drizzle of olive oil, drizzle of red wine or balsamic vinegar, fresh cracked pepper, dash of dried thyme, basil, oregeno, or Italian herb mixture.
- Shake, shake shake
- enjoy
Old 10-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #27
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quick, healthy salad. Filling too.

- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 English cucumber, quartered and chopped
- half a Bell pepper, chopped.
- 8-10 baby carrots, small chop
- spinich or mixed greens if you have it, can do without though
- crumbled of feta cheese (skip this if you're watching your salt intake)
- drizzle of olive oil, drizzle of red wine or balsamic vinegar, fresh cracked pepper, dash of dried thyme, basil, oregeno, or Italian herb mixture.
- Shake, shake shake
- enjoy
Sounds like a greek salad...Not that there's anything wrong with that!
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #28
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Garlic salad dressing recipe:

- 6-8 large garlic cloves (depending on your tolerance to garlic)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1-2 lemons - juice
- 1 tbsp of Italian seasoning (make your own in you want...I cheat)

Blend & chill in fridge for an hour. This is a VERY garlicy dressing, my tolerance is really high, but if yours isn't, you can throw in 2-3 cloves, blend the dressing and taste as you add more so it's not too intense.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #29
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Sounds like a greek salad...Not that there's anything wrong with that!
For the most part, but if you ask me, you have to be nuts to want raw red onion in salad! And yeah, as delicious as olives are, the salt content can wreak havoc on a dieter's water weight.
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2012, 01:02 PM   #30
WilderPegasus
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I don't eat breakfast or lunch. Just coffee and tea until dinner time. Then I'll have dinner around 6, do my workout around 9 or 10, then snack on some apples or oranges after that.
Quote:
My two goals going into this were to a) lose weight at an acceptable rate (22 lbs. over 11 weeks for 2 lbs./wk, mainting a 500 cal./day defecit) and to b) retain muscle mass (I have gained a bit of muscle over this time period with a high-protein diet). Thus far, I have achieved both of these goals, and right now I'm in the best shape I've ever been in. My energy levels are high, I'm as flexible now as I was in elementary school, and most importantly it's helped with my confidence and self esteem.
I don't understand how you can consider a single meal combined with coffee, tea, apples and oranges a high-protein diet.

Unless you had no muscle mass to begin with it is unlikely that you're gaining muscle while losing fat.
WilderPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WilderPegasus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #31
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderPegasus View Post
I don't understand how you can consider a single meal combined with coffee, tea, apples and oranges a high-protein diet.

Unless you had no muscle mass to begin with it is unlikely that you're gaining muscle while losing fat.
Eating lots of meat (chicken, pork tenderloin, sirloin steak), lots of fruit, lots of vegetables, and supplemented with protein shakes. As a percentage of my total caloric intake, protein makes up a significant portion of that. I would consider that high protein.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #32
WilderPegasus
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Eating lots of meat (chicken, pork tenderloin, sirloin steak), lots of fruit, lots of vegetables, and supplemented with protein shakes.
You eat all that for dinner? That must be quite the chore!
Old 10-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #33
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Anybody got any good recipes or suggestions for turkey leftovers?

Thanksgiving just passed and we ended up tossing a lot of week-old leftover turkey into the garbage can.

I can see the same thing happening come Christmas.... because it happens every year (the garbage thing that is).

I've yet to taste a homemade turkey soup that I like (at least one that I've made) and you can only do so many turkey pot pies.

Any suggestions?
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #34
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not really. In fact it's easy as hell. Grill some meat up, or make a meat and veggie stir fry, make a big salad filled with all sorts of veggies (or fruit too like apples or mango) Protein shakes take like 30 seconds to make.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #35
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post

Thanksgiving just passed and we ended up tossing a lot of week-old leftover turkey into the garbage can.

I can see the same thing happening come Christmas.... because it happens every year (the garbage thing that is).

I've yet to taste a homemade turkey soup that I like (at least one that I've made) and you can only do so many turkey pot pies.

Any suggestions?
Open face turkey sandwich (toast topped with dark meat, stuffing, gravy), cold turkey sandwich (white meat, lettuce, miracle whip, salt, pepper, cranberry sauce if you have some), mix up a quick batch of chili and throw in diced turkey for the meat, makes some hash out of left over turkey, stuffing, and mashed potatoes, toss it with some Franks and melted butter and make a Buffalo chicken wrap, chop it up and make a turkey caesar salad, chop it up and use it in omelets maybe.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #36
WilderPegasus
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Not really. In fact it's easy as hell. Grill some meat up, or make a meat and veggie stir fry, make a big salad filled with all sorts of veggies (or fruit too like apples or mango) Protein shakes take like 30 seconds to make.
I was referring more to the eating than the preparing.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #37
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderPegasus View Post
I was referring more to the eating than the preparing.
I'm certainly full after eating, hence why I wait 3-4 hours before doing my workout, but it's not ridiculous to eat or anything. With a daily caloric intake of 1500 calories, I usually make my meals around 1200 calories, and get the surplus from snacks post-workout.

People routinely eat meals over 1500 calories all the time. I mean a Big Mac, Large fries, and a Large Coke is 1350 calories. There's probably people that eat that for lunch and then go home and stuff their face again 6 hours later.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #38
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Any suggestions?
There are so many things you can do with the meat, but once you've stripped most of it off, boil the rest in a big pot with water, salt, fresh rosemary & thyme to get a really nice turkey stock.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #39
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Any suggestions?

Turkey Risotto

Roast the bones in the oven for about 20-30 minutes, on the stove get a large pot and start frying onions, celery, carrots, ect and add the bones in. Also add a bay leaf and any other spices you would like in your stock. Fill with water just to the top of the veg and let simmer (how long depends on personal preference.

For the Risotto.

Start by frying onions (shallots work nice here) in butter and salt (enough to cover the rice). Once the onions start to sweat add the rice and let it toast for 5-10 minutes, keep stirring. After the rice is toasted add a shot of white wine and cook the alcohol off. Once this is done start adding stock about a 1/2 cup - 1 cup at a time. Once the stock boils down keep adding until the rice is al dente. It makes the risotto creamy if you throw it up in the pot and slam in down on the counter when your cooking it in the stock. Add the turkey pieces just before it finishes so they can warm to the same temp. Add black pepper when you add the turkey.

Add lots of grated parmesean (real, NOT fake craft powder, freshly grated parmisiano reggario is the best, one of the only non-pasturized cheeses allowed to be imported) as mix it all in. Serve. Add more grated cheese and black pepper on top. Done. The key to a good risotto is always the stock and cheese imo.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #40
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I made this red lentil soup on the weekend and it was downright amazing: