Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2011, 08:40 AM   #21
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I sold some of my McDonalds hockey cards to a collector in the U.S for an inflated price through ebay. Apparently McDonalds never issued them in the U.S and some collectors see them as slightly rare.

Not a card, but I have phonebook from Dryden Ontario in storage somewhere that has Chris Pronger on the cover from the year he was drafted. Is there any chance that something like that would ever be worth anything? I can't imagine there are many still around.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:46 AM   #22
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
My favourite card is Joel Otto, it looks like it was taken in warm-ups and he is standing there blowing a bubble with gum. Got that one autographed when I was a kid at a red and white game at Father David Bauer.

I thought you were going to mention his error card from 1986 that is considered his rookie card and he isn't pictured in one of the ugliest jerseys of all time. All kinds of fail See : http://cgi.ebay.com/1986-87-OPC-247-...-/330556929582
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #23
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I sold some of my McDonalds hockey cards to a collector in the U.S for an inflated price through ebay. Apparently McDonalds never issued them in the U.S and some collectors see them as slightly rare.

Not a card, but I have phonebook from Dryden Ontario in storage somewhere that has Chris Pronger on the cover from the year he was drafted. Is there any chance that something like that would ever be worth anything? I can't imagine there are many still around.
The value is likely greatest in/around Dryden, and to the hockey hall of fame.

Some collector may think it is neat, but I doubt there is any real 'value'.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:34 AM   #24
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

While this thread is up I have a question to ask...

I have a picture autographed by Lanny McDonald.. the picture is about 20 some years old now and the auto is still prominent, but is slowly, slowly fading away.

The pic is in a glass frame, is there anyway to stop the marker from fading? I am not sure what he used, but it looks to be a standard black sharpie. I suspect in another 20+ years the mark will be gone or very close to it.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:48 AM   #25
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
While this thread is up I have a question to ask...

I have a picture autographed by Lanny McDonald.. the picture is about 20 some years old now and the auto is still prominent, but is slowly, slowly fading away.

The pic is in a glass frame, is there anyway to stop the marker from fading? I am not sure what he used, but it looks to be a standard black sharpie. I suspect in another 20+ years the mark will be gone or very close to it.
There's not much you can do to stop fading of images apart from keeping it out of the light (so if it's hanging up, take it down and store it away). The only thing I can think of is to make sure it's not behind "non glare glass" - this glass allows the light to pass through the glass, instead of bouncing off of it. Non-glare glass looks great, but wreaks havoc on images.

Hope this helps.

Oh and if anyone is interested in about 98 000 hockey cards, I can make you a great deal - they have to be moved out of our spare bedroom in the next 7 months or else our kid is not going to have a place to sleep.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:59 AM   #26
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

This thread brings up memories. I collected Pro-set (like everybody else at the time) but I was mostly into Marvel & DC cards.

Not sure about hockey, but I can assure you the Marvel and DC Cards are worth #### all. But I still have mine and you'll have to pry them out of my dead hands.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:14 AM   #27
nmhen
Everybody's favourite Wild fan!

Exp:

I'm at the point where I'm just going to finish cataloging my collection (for insurance reasons) and then put it away in as climate-controlled environment as I can for a long time. I am very realistic that their sentimental value to me is significantly higher than their market value to just about anyone else.

If I wake up one day 30 years from now and find that the average common card from 1988 is worth $1 then I'll maybe get motivated about selling them. Until then, I will check out my high-end cards once a year, for nostalgia's sake, and see what they're "worth" as a post.

As an aside, EVERYTHING is only worth what someone will pay for it, in terms of market value. Intrinsic value and market value can be (radically) different in any market.
nmhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:24 AM   #28
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Growing up, my friend's Aunt worked at OPC. Before the card boom (early 80s) I got a few uncut sheets. No hockey cards, but but I have a couple baseball end of the roll sheets. There is no where I have found the value (if there is one established) of any partial uncut sheets of cards.

I had a full sheet set of the "Raiders of the Lost Ark" set, but being young I cut them up into individual cards so I could assemble the picture on the back
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:32 AM   #29
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Growing up, my friend's Aunt worked at OPC. Before the card boom (early 80s) I got a few uncut sheets. No hockey cards, but but I have a couple baseball end of the roll sheets. There is no where I have found the value (if there is one established) of any partial uncut sheets of cards.

I had a full sheet set of the "Raiders of the Lost Ark" set, but being young I cut them up into individual cards so I could assemble the picture on the back
To this day my dad still tells me about the Bobby Orr rookie card that he put in his bike spokes to make noise.

Ah the things we do as kids....
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #30
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing was better than the Esso cards. Took me so damn long to get Marcel Dionne.

I still have the collectors book with the full set pasted in their place (the backs were lick and stick, right?).
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #31
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Like others have said if it's not pre 1989 and in mint shape it's probably not worth much.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:11 PM   #32
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post

I've got a couple of OPC uncut sheet sets -- one from 1990/91 and one from 1991/92. Each set has four sheets each -- would make for a neat display if you have the room (which I unfortunately, do not).
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #33
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Way back in the day, I needed to borrow some money from my brother to get my car out of the impound lot. He took my Gretzky rookie card as collateral and has it to this day. He has probably had it for 15 -20 years now and loves to torment me - he even sent me a duplicate this summer which I thought was the real thing at the moment. I should probably look into getting it back one of these days
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #34
Finny61
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
To this day my dad still tells me about the Bobby Orr rookie card that he put in his bike spokes to make noise.

Ah the things we do as kids....
Yeah my Dad had a Mickey Mantle card from when he was a kid, I believe the dog chewed it up. *sigh*
Finny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:13 PM   #35
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finny61 View Post
Yeah my Dad had a Mickey Mantle card from when he was a kid, I believe the dog chewed it up. *sigh*
1952 Topps?

Last edited by burn_baby_burn; 05-05-2011 at 02:22 PM.
burn_baby_burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #36
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

When people say "worth much" or "valuable", what are we talking. Seems to me that the value of actually owning some of these cards would be worth far more than their dollar amount.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:12 AM   #37
expo2428
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A little bit of a bump but I didn't want to create a new thread for this, it seemed like an appropriate thread. Is there anyone collecting current cards these days. I'm currently trying to create a collection of Mikael Backlund, good start so far so many different cards though. I got a few higher end cards like his cup rookie card but there is so many products these days its hard to stay on top of a certain collection.

I got a bunch of cards from the 90's too, Hopefully Lindros comes back one day and I can make millions of the millions of rookie cards I have of him.

So is there anyone else out there collecting cards from the recent years?
expo2428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:00 AM   #38
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

My 7 year old started playing baseball this Spring, so we got some Topps baseball cards, because he wanted to learn about the teams. He enjoys sorting them. The quality of the cards is very high compared to what I remember in the 1970s. This is the 60th anniversary of Topps so there are many special cards in the set. Wall-Mart seems to be the cheapest place to buy them.

Which company makes the best hockey cards? I'm sure he would enjoy collecting those in the Fall. (Me too).

Last edited by troutman; 06-14-2011 at 10:07 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #39
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

go with Upper Deck for hockey, trout.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #40
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Collecting Upper Deck this year with my son. Nice cards, but I am confused. Between Series 1 and 2 there will only be 12-15 players per team. Why not 20-25? Why are the Jets still in Thrasher uniforms? The sets are released in November and March, and they can't take pictures in the pre-season or early regular season?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote