Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2009, 06:09 PM   #21
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_the_redneck View Post
I don't understand how this affects my day to day viewing......can someone give an example?
Well, personally, I record the eastern feed of most of the shows I watch.

So, for example a show that airs at "8 o'clock" can be seen at either 6pm in Calgary from Detroit, or 9pm from Spokane. CFCN does sim-subbing (Shaw overrides the signal and airs CFCN's signal on both its own channel and the channel that the US feed airs on) on the Spokane airing (or Seattle in HD) at 9. If I record the Detroit feed, I can record it at 6 and be done watching it 2 hours before it's even aired in Calgary.

If this idea went through, CTV would be able to ask Shaw to block both the Detroit and Spokane/Seattle channels when that show airs. This would force anyone who watches a particular show to watch it on the CTV channel, whenever they chose to air it.

Right now, the local station can only request a sim-sub if the exact same episode of a show is airing at the exact same time on a US channel.

This would also mean that the Canadian networks could choose to air a show on a completely different day and time and you would only be able to watch the episode whenever the Canadian network decided to air it (or until you downloaded the episode that aired in the US).

If you don't time-shift when you watch tv, it really won't affect your life too much, assuming the Canadian networks chose to air the shows at the same time they air in the States. Most people probably don't even understand sim-subbing or realize when it's taking place.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #22
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Well, personally, I record the eastern feed of most of the shows I watch.

So, for example a show that airs at "8 o'clock" can be seen at either 6pm in Calgary from Detroit, or 9pm from Spokane. CFCN does sim-subbing (Shaw overrides the signal and airs CFCN's signal on both its own channel and the channel that the US feed airs on) on the Spokane airing (or Seattle in HD) at 9. If I record the Detroit feed, I can record it at 6 and be done watching it 2 hours before it's even aired in Calgary.

If this idea went through, CTV would be able to ask Shaw to block both the Detroit and Spokane/Seattle channels when that show airs. This would force anyone who watches a particular show to watch it on the CTV channel, whenever they chose to air it.

Right now, the local station can only request a sim-sub if the exact same episode of a show is airing at the exact same time on a US channel.

This would also mean that the Canadian networks could choose to air a show on a completely different day and time and you would only be able to watch the episode whenever the Canadian network decided to air it (or until you downloaded the episode that aired in the US).

If you don't time-shift when you watch tv, it really won't affect your life too much, assuming the Canadian networks chose to air the shows at the same time they air in the States. Most people probably don't even understand sim-subbing or realize when it's taking place.
There's always the (hopefully remote) possibility Global could do something stupid like air a local/Canadian production during a prime slot on Thursday night and show The Office on Friday at 7:00 pm. You would not have the alternative of flipping over to watch The Office on Thursday night because, under this proposal, Global could have the broadcast of that show on a US station delayed by up to seven days.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #23
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this is probably the Canadian broadcasters trying to gain leverage in their battle with the cable providers regarding fees: ie. we'll lobby government to take away a huge chunk of your american programming unless you give us some of your fees.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #24
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I can't find any application like this on the CRTC's website, and the Star article also doesn't mention deletion of programs.

When/ if this comes up for review; what we need to do is oppose it. ~5 years ago many of us (Oilkiller included) blocked Global's application to have Spike TV removed. (Spike was around due to the previous application as "The Nashville Network", and Global said their new programming would hurt their "Men TV" subsciptions.)
Allegedly (I can't get it to work right now) you can hear a stream of the hearing here: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/streaming/stream1-eng.htm

Here is the agenda for these hearings: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/Broadcast/eng/...09/ag11_16.htm

A list of supporting documents is here: http://support.crtc.gc.ca/applicant/...009-411&lang=E

The relevant CTV materials mentioning the deletion rules are here: http://support.crtc.gc.ca/applicant/...tCmmt=&fnlSub=

Specifically, with respect to the deletion rules, see page 25 of the second Commentaire/Comment.pdf document listed in the above link and page 6 of Annexe A/Appendix A. pdf.

Quote:
In the past, this section has allowed BDUs to delete programming on a foreign specialty service for which the exclusive Canadian rights are held by a Canadian specialty service.

Ensuring the integrity of their territorial programming rights is increasingly becoming one of the most critical issues for broadcasters. CTVgm believes it is essential that the Commission introduce measures to allow broadcasters to realize maximum value for their programming, both from advertisers and distributors. In CTVgm’s view this entails harmonizing the rules relating to simultaneous substitution and program deletion that apply to over-the-air television and specialty services by:

1. Extending simultaneous substitution rights to specialty services;

2. Allowing over-the-air television licensees to enforce non-simultaneous program deletion; and

3. Allowing over-the-air television licensees to enforce program deletion as part
of the NFV framework outlined above.

Last edited by fredr123; 11-16-2009 at 01:22 PM.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fredr123 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2009, 01:55 PM   #25
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
There's always the (hopefully remote) possibility Global could do something stupid like air a local/Canadian production during a prime slot on Thursday night and show The Office on Friday at 7:00 pm. You would not have the alternative of flipping over to watch The Office on Thursday night because, under this proposal, Global could have the broadcast of that show on a US station delayed by up to seven days.
That is exactly what they are talking about in that Toronto Star article:
Quote:
This constant schedule rejigging to match U.S. decisions has huge implications for producers of Canadian shows. These poor folks frequently find their programs moved about in the schedule in a way that makes it impossible for them to find and build strong audiences.
I'm sure the reason they are pushing for this is simply to allow Canadian productions to "build strong audiences". CTV was able to build a strong audience for Corner Gas without this policy. If it is a decent show and they stick with it then they will get an audience.

I actually like a fair number of Canadian produced shows. But I do not agree with draconian rules to attempt to prop up industries which aren't able to adapt to modern times. Otherwise we had better start saving the barrel makers, I don't know that last truly Canadian wooden barrel I saw! Won't someone think of the coopers!
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #26
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I'm just really shocked that people would be upset to have to wait a week for the next episode of '24' or whatever people watch, instead of just downloading it in HD immediately after it airs on the East Coast and watching it with the full benefits of 5.1 surround, proper 720p/1080p, without commercials, AND 1-2 hours before its MST airtime to boot.
You're shocked that other people don't break the law?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #27
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
<snip>

<snip>
My wife and I like to watch Law&Order:SVU and Criminal Minds. They both air on the same night at the same time on NBC and CBS. However CTV sim-subs Criminal Minds and CTV shows SVU on Tuesday nights. So far this season SVU has been on at 8:00, or 9:00 or 10:00. The timing that CTV airs some of their shows can be very inconsistent. A couple of years ago we noticed that CTV was a couple of weeks behind NBC on the airing of SVU. Very hard to keep track of your favorite shows. For this reason alone I would be against Global and CTV's desire to block channels.

Last edited by Buff; 11-16-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #28
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There are a few Canadian programs that are actually fairly decent.

Corner Gas was one,
The Border is another,
Being Erica is an awesome show,
Wild Roses was underappreciated,
and Flashpoint is far better than any crime drama on American TV. Period. If you disagree with me, you are simply wrong.
HeartsOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:41 PM   #29
TheU
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Flashpoint became boring 3 shows in. Missed the new show?

Someone takes somebody hostage.

Hostage taker is shown to be a tragic hero

operatives save the day and the tragic hero regains some dignity

it's the same reason I dont watch house. same god damn formula every show. yawn.
TheU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:44 PM   #30
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
I honestly don't see why Global and CTV would want the CRTC to do this, since the backlash would be immense if it passes. People (like me) would be so pissed off, we'd just download the episode off the internet once it's aired in the US, and have no need to ever watch a Canadian channel again.

Actually, if it wasn't for hockey, I probably wouldn't even get cable anymore.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #31
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Being Erica seemed like it had a lot of potential. I watched the pilot as a free download in iTunes, but haven't seen any other episodes since I refuse to watch network TV.

Commercials are ######ed. I honestly can't remember the last time I bought anything based on a commercial I saw on TV.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:30 AM   #32
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
I'm sure the reason they are pushing for this is simply to allow Canadian productions to "build strong audiences". CTV was able to build a strong audience for Corner Gas without this policy. If it is a decent show and they stick with it then they will get an audience.
This is what I don't get, a Canadian company finnally gets a show that people like/love (I never watched it but heard good things) and then as it is picking up in popularity they cancel it. Why not ride that wave like American shows would do til the bitter end?

If this does happen I will have no problem switching to illegal satellite, hell I would do it the day this thing passed. Just because Canadian broadcasters can't produce shows not worth watching should not be my problem.
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:55 AM   #33
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheU View Post
Flashpoint became boring 3 shows in. Missed the new show?

Someone takes somebody hostage.

Hostage taker is shown to be a tragic hero

operatives save the day and the tragic hero regains some dignity
Just once, I want the show to finish with Amy Jo Johnson saving the day by transforming into Pink Ranger.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2009, 11:00 AM   #34
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Wait wait wait, this is in the tech forum. You mean to tell me people still watch live broadcast TV with commercials?

Stunning.
Guess you don't watch sports.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:09 AM   #35
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

This just wouldn't happen. It doesn't even make sense. ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX would be a black screen from 7-11 PM each night. Who's going to pay money for stations they don't get? The broadcasters can hardly getting the current model to work without problems. It would be a disaster.

Can anyone say they'd miss Global or CTV? If your business model can't compete, you lose.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2009, 11:10 AM   #36
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOT View Post
This is what I don't get, a Canadian company finnally gets a show that people like/love (I never watched it but heard good things) and then as it is picking up in popularity they cancel it. Why not ride that wave like American shows would do til the bitter end?

If this does happen I will have no problem switching to illegal satellite, hell I would do it the day this thing passed. Just because Canadian broadcasters can't produce shows not worth watching should not be my problem.
They didn't cancel it. A few of the cast decided they wanted to do other things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT BUTT
When I told CTV about my decision, they made it clear that they were keen to do more seasons. But for the good of the show, I wanted to exit gracefully, on top of our game, when we're at our prime — because that's how I want viewers to remember Corner Gas: at its very best
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:15 AM   #37
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Guess you don't watch sports.
Sometimes I like watching on a 45 minute delay so I can skip the 3 commercials that get replayed at each tv timeout. Just have to remember to turn off the cell phone so you don't get text messages from excited or devastated friends.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:59 AM   #38
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Can anyone say they'd miss Global or CTV? If your business model can't compete, you lose.
Pretty much why they are attempting to use the bureaucracy to their benefit. They can't be bothered to produce anything worth watching, so they are trying to force us to watch, on their stations, what they stole from someone else.

Yet another reason why local TV simply needs to die.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:59 PM   #39
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Just once, I want the show to finish with Amy Jo Johnson saving the day by transforming into Pink Ranger.
Holy fata, I *knew* she looked familiar!
HeartsOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:16 PM   #40
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Local News

The only reason I see fit to try and salvage some kind of viability for the locals is to save local news.

It would suck not to have a local station that has news that effects Calgarians.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote