Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2024, 01:20 PM   #21
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
To all those suggesting Disneyland instead of Vegas, in this particular case, his kids are still toddlers... Disneyland isn't much better of an idea at that point.
I had a blast with my kids there as toddlers. I think we went four times during their upbringing. Honestly, there isn't a single better vacation on planet earth for a toddler than Disneyland.

Having said that, I'd be so stoked if I never had to go back. I'm so fkn sick of that place.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 01:27 PM   #22
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
To all those suggesting Disneyland instead of Vegas, in this particular case, his kids are still toddlers... Disneyland isn't much better of an idea at that point.
Meeting the characters as toddlers is a great memory for the parents. Everything is still "real" and the excitement they can experience is unforgettable. Sure you can't go on the incredicoaster or other big rides, but it is still a great memory to have/share as the kids get older.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spetch For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 05-21-2024, 01:40 PM   #23
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Yeah, even if they don't form concrete memories about it, I think it's healthy to inject that pure joy and wonderment into them if you can afford it. Disney does entertainment and magic better than anyone, anywhere.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 02:02 PM   #24
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Dude, take them to Disneyland if you're going to the trouble of hopping on a plane and heading to the States. It's the no-brainer option and the kids will have way more fun.
I only wanted to go to vegas because next week 5 days would only cost us like $2200 flights and hotel for 4 people. Don't really wanna spend Disney Land money right now and want them to be a bit older for that experience.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zary's-Mustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 02:07 PM   #25
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
What does everyone think of taking kids to stay on the Vegas strip? Trashy? When I go I don't see many kids staying at the hotels on the strip...thinking of taking my kids who are toddlers.

Thoughts?
Do literally anything else.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 02:07 PM   #26
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Also we are very boring vacationers. We just like walking around and checking out scenery.

We don't gamble in vegas and neither of us party so I think when people think Vegas they think gambling and partying but we can go and just walk around check out some hotels and consider that a fun night out.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 02:08 PM   #27
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Also, kids would love some of the cheesier shows like the Blue Man Group, Jabowakis, or even the more family friendly Cirque shows. The Sphere would also likely blow their minds. I haven't been myself, yet, but I'd imagine their "Postcards from Earth" show is like an Imax show on steroids.

Toddlers though, once again no. Even thinking about it is giving me PTSD flashbacks from the plane ride home from Mexico a few months ago.
For some odd reason we took the kids to vegas many years ago. Stayed at Mandalay. I think Vegas has gotten busier but wouldn't do that again. Did that crappy aquarium, tried to do that pool at the Mandalay. That coke museum (woohoo), there was some sort of science centre I think. Could care less the kids see the debauchery but just a weird trip that the wife and I didn't ever have to say it that we'd never do that again.

Saw Jabbawockees. High school dance nerds punching their fists in the air in unison but oh wait, they have masks on so you don't get to see who they actually are, until the end when they take them off and its a bunch of lame-ass nerds. There is nothing stupider on this planet than dance routines.

Ya, rent a VRBO in Palm Springs/Phoenix with a pool and the kids would love that crap 1000 times more than that.

Last edited by fotze2; 05-21-2024 at 02:10 PM.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 02:13 PM   #28
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yeah, even if they don't form concrete memories about it, I think it's healthy to inject that pure joy and wonderment into them if you can afford it. Disney does entertainment and magic better than anyone, anywhere.
No argument from me here - Disney is the absolute best at what they do. My hesitation was with the OP having "toddlers" - plural - which to me meant something like a 1yo and 3yo...

Everyone's experience will vary. Because we didn't feel like the cost and effort of touring our younger / youngest kids through the park, we waited until the youngest was older (than I presume OP's youngest is), which didn't seem to take anything away from the experience of the older kids...
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 02:21 PM   #29
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
What does everyone think of taking kids to stay on the Vegas strip? Trashy? When I go I don't see many kids staying at the hotels on the strip...thinking of taking my kids who are toddlers.

Thoughts?
Multiple toddlers?

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 02:23 PM   #30
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I don't even recommend taking toddlers to Boston Pizza.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 02:23 PM   #31
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Ya, rent a VRBO in Palm Springs/Phoenix with a pool and the kids would love that crap 1000 times more than that.
We rented a VRBO in Palm Springs a couple of times with a pool and yeah we had a great time. Fortunately the kid was really into minigolf at the time.
Old 05-21-2024, 02:42 PM   #32
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
We rented a VRBO in Palm Springs a couple of times with a pool and yeah we had a great time. Fortunately the kid was really into minigolf at the time.
We rented one in Scottsdale that actually had a small mini golf course in the back, along with pool. Then pandemic hit and we stayed there for 1 whole night because we were worried the border was closing soon (which it did). My wife had a horse cough so they (most likely) wouldn't let her on the plane so we rented a mini-van and drove back. Ate the cost of the flights and VRBO for a week. Also driving through Montana during blizzard conditions and summer rental car tires (turns out people in Phoenix have never even heard of winter tires) is lovely. Pure hell. Got home just in time.

Pretty much why I have not gone on a vacation in 5 years. Family can go, I'm not going.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 02:44 PM   #33
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

In a few years, sure, but not toddlers
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 03:22 PM   #34
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are at an off strip resort it wouldn't be that bad. My kids have been to Vegas three times although they weren't toddlers. I've never been to the Holiday Inn Club behind Flamingo but it is supposed to be great for families. Also the JW Marriott would be a good option. There is the Cowabunga waterpark that might be good for kids (again I've never actually been) and the Pinball Museum always has lots of kids in there. Vegas has lots of attractions and features that are kid friendly and if you aren't needing to ditch them in order to gamble it isn't that bad. My kids really enjoyed Penn and Teller.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 03:27 PM   #35
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Kids are dumb. My kids were thrilled staying at the Days Inn at Medicine Hat because it had a ####ty waterslide. They don't need Vegas.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 03:52 PM   #36
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
A little awkward when the card flippers would give a kid a stripper card though.
My son asked if he could take the cards to show and tell.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 04:15 PM   #37
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
My son asked if he could take the cards to show and tell.
I bet he did.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 04:37 PM   #38
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's fine to take kids but do you really want to? I've been to Vegas enough times that I would know what I'm missing out on because my kids are with me. If I'm taking kids with me on a trip I'm not making them hangout at the pool or in the room by themselves, I'm spending time with them.

I go to Vegas to have a kid free vacation. People bringing their own kids doesn't bother me. Unless I see the kid being fussy and the parent being frustrated at that moment because I can empathize with their situation... but then I walk away because I'm not them!

My kids are all older now (ranging from 13-19) and I'd probably have more luck taking them to Vegas at these ages but I'd rather not until they turn 21.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 04:58 PM   #39
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I don't even recommend taking toddlers to Boston Pizza.
I got a pretty good bite mark after I took my toddler to a toddler play gym. We left at not the exact time she wanted to leave. I had also bought her ice cream earlier. That gesture was totally forgotten. Then she passed out and **** her pants on the way home. This was a good outing for her.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 05:15 PM   #40
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why?

What are your plans with toddlers for Vegas?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote