Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2009, 12:12 PM   #21
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

More or less echo what is said above... people are there to have a good time, get drunk and hopefully maybe get some action. They are not hanging on your every word or note, you're background music for them to have a good time

If you are not MC type of personally, that lives to talk and be the center of attention (which you wouldn't be if you're worried about being nervous) then do not gab it up with the mic... nothing worse then having to hear about the history of every song before it's played... just stick to the music and build your confidence.

Remember you are being paid (hopefully, if not looking to build up a following to get paid) that means you are an employee and represent the bar. Don't worry about pimping your band, your music should do that itself... make a comment sometime about tipping the waitresses

look good, you have to look like a band someone would want to pay to see... if you look the part then the audience will believe you are it.

Don't focus on your mistakes and have a good time, stick to how your band perform during practise and don't all of a sudden become Steve Tyler.

Do not drink or smoke pot, you wouldn't show up to work like that so why would you do it here. The last thing you need is to get a bad reputation with establishments that hire you

This may seem like it's not all directed at helping you with your nerves but it is... focus on what you are getting paid to do. and remember, someone is paying you to play music and how great is that

Last edited by Hanna Sniper; 07-03-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Hanna Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:25 PM   #22
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

You are being paid to provide a professional service.

Regardless of the quality of the music, a professional band treats the owners, staff, and patrons with the utmost respect, does not get wasted and make and ass of themselves on stage, and remembers to publically thank (on the mic) the venue for having you and the crowd for coming.

Also, for god's sake DO NOT TUNE ON STAGE! Have two axes each and a friend re-tuning them between songs. I hate it when a band member tunes on stage, and sucks at it so it takes forever. Practice tuning if you don't have help so you can do it quickly. And get a pedal where it can be done SILENTLY while another band member banters with the crowd.

As for your nerves...man, just enjoy it. Smoke a jay if you have to right before you go on but don't drink.

The nerves you think you can't handle turn into the greatest feeling the world about 30 seconds into your set (if it doesn't suck). When you're wasted, even if you played better than you ever thought you could you'll never remember it or be able to enjoy it properly.

Besides, getting wasted AFTER the best set ever is the best drunk ever!

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:44 PM   #23
Homer_J
Scoring Winger

Exp:

That's awesome Rasta-Masta. Good luck and I hope you have a great show. Playing live is so much fun. You'll get a taste of it and you'll be hooked. Just go and enjoy yourselves, go with the flow, and don't freak out if something goes wrong.

Something my band used to do before some of our first gigs was set up our jam space like a stage. Get used to the idea of not always looking at eachother while we played. If you have some lights you could even set those up and shine them toward you guys. Figure out your set list well in advance and play it like you're playing live.... over and over again.

Sample00: We played in Edson a few years ago and they were an awesome crowd. Not nearly as big as your show, but we played almost all originals and they ate it up.

Last edited by Homer_J; 07-03-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Homer_J is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Homer_J For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2009, 01:49 PM   #24
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
DONT apologize over the mic if you mess up, and dont say stuff like "We have only gone through this song a couple times, so bear with us" I hate it when bands let everyone know they messed up after a song, or even worse WARN the crowd that they will more then likely mess up beforehand.
This rings especially true with me. I've only ever played two gigs in my life, and the first one I apologized because it was going to be a gong show. Turned out we had some fun and the set was surprisingly strong all things considered. I immediately regretted the apology. It's kind of like starting a presentation with "I'm not very well prepared ..."
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:27 PM   #25
rogermexico
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Remember: you are in charge. You are the loudest person in the room. Don't let that intimidate you - use it. Everybody who goes to a rock and roll show wants to give themselves over to the people on stage. They're trusting you - that's good. Look people in the eye whenever you can. Knock them out.

Also, get a Boss tuning pedal - best hundred dollars you can spend.
rogermexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #26
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermexico View Post

I like my Planet waves Tuning pedal... but same thing.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #27
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Focusing on my breathing is the only thing that ever helped me.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #28
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermexico View Post
I recommend the Turbo Tuner both in quality and price... The most accurate tuner available as a pedal. I use one of these on my pedal board and a large Conn Strobotuner by my amp. These old piano tuners are by far the most amazing things and the Turbo Tuner is the closest I've come to matching it... With the trouble with my eyesight I depend on the Turbo Turner a lot more now.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:02 AM   #29
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
What are you, the Dos Equis man?
Haha...I didn't realize how absurd that sounded. Awesome.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #30
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna Sniper View Post
I recommend the Turbo Tuner both in quality and price... The most accurate tuner available as a pedal. I use one of these on my pedal board and a large Conn Strobotuner by my amp. These old piano tuners are by far the most amazing things and the Turbo Tuner is the closest I've come to matching it... With the trouble with my eyesight I depend on the Turbo Turner a lot more now.
This is a great looking tuner. Coincidentally I'm in the market for a new tuner, and I think I'll grab this one...I'm looking for something accurate enough to set intonation properly, and my Korg needle based tuner is hard to use because the needle moves around a bit right around 0 cents +- making it hard to get it locked in.

Thanks for posting that link